pics of my almost complete first rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flipper

Reaction score
Ok, several people stated how important it was to post pictures here. So here is my first. Havent gotten to decals yet, didn't like the single generic "sizzler" decal, so im attempting making my own. Will repost when 100% complete.

Didnt zoom too much, otherwise you could have seen my total lack of finishing skills. Im sure that will come with time!

For my first one, im pretty pleased and love the silver/red combination.

And I like the way that the two-tone fins produce an optical illusion that sort of makes the fin trailing edge look like it is bent in the middle

Now that is a fine job.
Can't wait to see what you come up with for detailing.
Although I think it looks great just the way it is.

flipper,

Looks great!!! I too, like the placement of colors on the fins.

bmhiii

Originally posted by flipper
Ok, several people stated how important it was to post pictures here. So here is my first. Havent gotten to decals yet, didn't like the single generic "sizzler" decal, so im attempting making my own. Will repost when 100% complete.

Didnt zoom too much, otherwise you could have seen my total lack of finishing skills. Im sure that will come with time!

For my first one, im pretty pleased and love the silver/red combination.

flipper,

That rocket looks great!

A total lack of finishing skills would result in a white rocket with bare balsa fins, like several of mine! :)

I've only actually primed and painted *one* of the 6 rockets I've built, although 3 have colored body tubes and fins.

That rocket looks pretty good for a first one!

My first rocket looked like the fins were cut out with a hatchet and the paint applied with a spatula.

But I was proud of it and it flew well. I should take a picture of it because I still have it.

Hey! Thats a pretty impressive paint job...It looks like its already moving at about 500+ mph :p
Nice Job

-Matt

Originally posted by JRThro

A total lack of finishing skills would result in a white rocket with bare balsa fins, like several of mine! :)

Good point.... :D

Thanks for all the compliments...woulda had the decals done, but realized the hard way: dont try to make colored decals to place on a RED rocket !!

Flipper,

great choice of colors and splitting up the fin colorwise. your lines look smooth. eggselent.

Andy T

just out of curiosity.....
What did you paint it with?
Spray cans?..brushes? .....airbrush?

good work! looks better than mine did. i DID put a C6-7 in mine and it's now it's gone.

Originally posted by moocrew
just out of curiosity.....
What did you paint it with?
Spray cans?..brushes? .....airbrush?

Being my first, really kinda winged it...2 coats of Testor's grey spray primer, several light coats of Testors spray silver, then taped off nose cone and fins with plain ole masking tape and several coats of Testor's spray red.

Have read some lengthy discussions regarding "bleeding" under the masking tape, but didnt really get any of this....well i did, but it is so miniscule that not worth stressing over.

Didn't hear of the spray/sand/spray/....... before working on this...am i right to assume that method will work with Testor's or should i just switch to Krylon as many posts have indicated.

I agree on the C6-7 comments....I think I flew my Estes Wizard once before I put her up on a C , she was never seen again :rolleyes:
Just out of curiosity , has anyone ever flown one of these birds on something like a AT 18mm RMS? D21 maybe? I think you could put your life savings on a bet that the fins would come off :p
Karl

I've thought of it but it's not worth the risk of losing the case

honestly, I've never had the bleeding problem either. And as far as sanding goes after painting... i've only done that once and that was becaus the paint came out really really lumpy. I like to think that whats under the paint is what makes the paint look good...so a nice glass smooth under surface makes a really nice looking paint, just take your time. But Im not to sure which sands better, you might want to try both? You never know one might work out better than the other for ya. But I'll stick to my Airbrush till the day I die. Good luck man!

-matt

I also have painted serveral things using a airbrush , but cleaning throughly after is what gets me. I have a home-made compressor that my dad has used for several years for modeling.
Get yourself a cheap £10/$15 airbrush and a decent compressor and never bother with rattle cans again. Resulting in ace looking rockets time and time again.
Karl

My "sizzler" aka "no.1" flies great on no larger than a B for fear of loss...My first proper build was a "star dart" with similar dimensions. flew great on A's and B's then on a C was never seen again...Same thing with Custom "Razor" (1 and 2). Loss happens...The good news is your next build is either in progress or just a trip to the store away! Then again I'm starting to feel a little like a fuddy duddy. I may skip launching today. beautiful blue sky but unsettled fall winds...danger danger.

cheers all
does anybody ever say fuddy duddy anymore?

(planet) andy

9/26 2:32 EST
"long overdue" -- clear coat drying
"Fat Boy" aka "C Biscuit" -- fillets drying
backyard mowed
driveway swept

Someone at my last club launch launched a Sizzler on a A and that torn off the pad , and touched a reasonable alt! Im Impressed with that Sizzler & it's looks , I might upscale her.....Hmm .... BT-70/80 :D
Karl

That brought back a memory...

My Custom RAZOR and a "C" motor. RIPPED off the pad.

Last time I ever saw her. Oh well. Killer flight though.

KarlD

"If you do not lose a few, You aren't a true Rocketeer!"

Managed to get in a dusk launch this eve lncluding RAZOR 3 on an A83...beautiful. Blue sky, near full moon above horizon. Could see the burn all the way up...and 50 ft. from pad safe streamer recovery. My weekend is now complete.

take care all

(planet) andy

Flipper, looks good. For the money Walmart spray paint 'ain't' bad. Their primer is pretty good but the Krylon primer dries faster and they have some pretty cheap high build primer in the auto department (it's lacquer and should dry pretty quick as well).
One thing to watch out for on some colors of Walmart paint is 'raising.' The red I've had raise. The directions say to re-spray within four hours or wait a week. I don't know about a week but I re-sprayed in about a day and actually did get some raising (looks crackled).
I hate paying for it but the Scotch brand "blue" painters tape sticks and masks better but pulls off less. Regular masking tape will pull the paper off of a body tube. With the blue stuff I get virtually no bleeding and you don't have to stick it down as hard.
I use Walmart paint for all my model railroading stuff, too. The red oxide primer is a great color for that. At 94 cents a can it's hard to beat.
YMMV, I don't own Walmart, or even stock in Walmart, blah, blah... ;)

Here is the final product (remember my first one) minus some clear coat to protect the decals. Still getting used to the digi cam so hopefully i will get better pics on future projects.

It actually says "REDBIRD EXPRESS" along the length of the BT. Can you guess what my #1 addiction is? GO CARDS!!

karl, im a big fan of the estes beta series. i have flown most of them on c-6's, and i've flown the star dart on a D21-7t....if the fins do come off...you'd never know it anyway....but hey, it flew straight until apogee, then i couldnt see it anymore...and it was lost:confused: ahh, i will attempt it again though, this time throw in some red powder for tracking...can't wait.

great looking first rocket, my first with balsa (had an alpha III plastic fins) had fins that were not cut quite square, looked like my nose with the curves.

like others i have found that the cheap Walmart paint or Krylon works better then testors.
I like paint that i can spray, wait an hour and ligtly sand and then recoat without having to wait for 48hours. the testors never dried to a really hard finish unless i waited days and day.
just a thought.
I am too impatient and want to get the bird into the sky.

Back