Pics from Bong...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stones

Reaction score
Took the 2 hour drive down to Bong Recreation Area to see some HPR flying. Thought I'd post a few pics from the day. Saw 3 L2 cert attempts and witnessed my 1st airstart complex bird take to the skys. Nothing I saw went passed a J motor but, most of those were redlines which are a real treat. One I couldn't get a pic of was an Archer that appeared was not going to put out the laundry. It was coming in with that telltale whistle and literally at the last second did have the chute pop not more than 20' from the ground and came out of it with barely a tiny zipper. Brought quite the applause. ;)
Anyways, here's a few pics...
A succesful L2 cert on a redline, nice flame.

That same L2 cert attempt.....not looking too good here...

The damage is done...no L2 today. From the looks of the retainer, something let loose. The motor landed about 50' from where we were standing.

It suffered a real early ejection right after I got the launch pic but, recovered with only a paint chip for damage. ;)

When was this? I don't remember any of these rockets for some reason.

Originally posted by solrules
When was this? I don't remember any of these rockets for some reason.
Saturday. You have pics from today?

thought the launch.....oh wait, Im only thinking Tripoli. Did not realize there was a WOOSH launch today. Do you come to any of the TWA launches? Its coming up on the 26+27....just before LDRS.

Actually, WOOSH and TWA usually split their launch weekends now, alternating which one gets Sat. and which gets Sun. due to the issues with sharing the field with the rescue dog trainers. Also, it allows us to get Wildman Rocketry to more launches for both clubs since he's now only willing to travel to 2 day launches.

can't say I have been to any WOOSH launches. The only one that would remotley be considered was a joint TWA/WOOSH launch a while back. Was a pretty bad day, IIRC (bong seems to have thoes days, eh?)

anyone know?

i can't stop laughing...do i need to bring my bong there for exercise? are there hundreds of bongs *running around* playing frisbee and laying in the sun...little bong baseball games...

rofl!

Great pics stones.....

That hoizontal L2 flight, the motor retention looks like it would cover the motor nozzle... just the pic... or was there something up with that...?

I think the pic is just showing the retainer in an odd position after it was brought back from the flight. IIRC, someone said the nozzle itself may have had issues.

Originally posted by Elapid
anyone know?

i can't stop laughing...do i need to bring my bong there for exercise? are there hundreds of bongs *running around* playing frisbee and laying in the sun...little bong baseball games...

rofl!

Davel posted the link to Richard Bong's bio.

Since he was from Wisconsin, they were going to name an Air Force Base in Wisconsin after him. The government pulled the plug on the base just before they began to pour concrete for runways; eventually, the land that was going to constitute the base was instead given to the State of Wisconsin, and became a recreation area. The state kept Bong's name on the site.

Back