Pickup at Restaurant Woes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This may get moved to Covid forum, but I will leave that to our excellent administrators.

Well, after Door Dash my wife and I decided to do local pickup.

First one at Perkins was great.

Arrived at time was told food would be ready

Had on my mask, face shield, walked up to cashier, gave her my card, got the slip back which I needed to sign (mistake here, next time I will bring my own pen, I think “personal pens” has been mentioned as a High Power Rocketry launch card recommendation), our food was there, in and out in probably 2 minutes.

Second one at Perkins not so great.

Called in my order, was told 20 minutes or less.

Arrived in 20 minutes........food not ready. “just a few minutes” was told.

Tried to find an out of the way place to wait and maintain social distancing, not easy as the place was packed, and off course nobody can wear a mask while eating and drinking (and talking and laughing.)

20 minutes later my order was available.

Lesson learned.

I will give a place benefit of the doubt once. Once I have been burned (next time with Perkins), I will arrive and park at the time they say food should be ready. I will CALL from my car and confirm the food is actually ready for pick up. If it isn’t, I will give them the option, either to call me on my cell when it is ready or I call every five minutes until I get a “yes” it is ready for pickup.

This is as much for their safety as mine, the less time I spend standing around the less likely I am to spread or contract Covid.

After seeing how crowded this place was, until this plague is under control, while I will likely still get take out food, I don’t think I am going to be sitting down at a restaurant for the foreseeable future. Our hospital has over 90 Covid patients, over 20 on vents. The irony is that our county has a mask mandate, and even while I see many people wearing masks wrong (just over the mouth is the most common), there is NO MASK MANDATE in adjacent counties in our County hospital catchment area (means even though they don’t live in our county ours is the nearest major hospital that can handle serious Covid patients.). So MOST of our hospital Covid Patients aren’t from OUR county. I was shocked to see people in their 70s or 80s and a middle aged relatively obese guy in A wheel chair with a leg amputated (the guy’s leg, not the chair), likely diabetic and hyptertensive, people clearly high risk mortality if they get Covid, just going out to a public restaurant to eat as if nothing was going on.

Anyway, my wife and I enjoy restaurant food from good places and want to support the local economy, but food needs to be ready on time, if not I will call and make sure it is ready before I enter the business site.

Several places where I have picked up our orders here (Alliance, Ohio) you tell them what you will be driving, or you call when you arrive, they have a designated parking area, and they bring the food out to your car when it's ready. If you pay by Paypal or credit card, you often have nothing to sign but, if they need a signed receipt, I have my own pens in my truck. At least one restaurant even handed me an extra sanitizing wipe to wipe down my card when they handed it back.

I have not gone inside to pick up food at a restaurant since March. It's either curbside, delivery, or bust.

The idea of actually having indoor dining available at all right now seems bonkers to me. What state are you in?

Check if your restaurant has a website or an app. Place an order with your pick up time and pay with a cc. Arrive at designated time with your email confirmation. Show it to the attendee through your closed car window. Only "contact" is when they hand it off to you. Or you can open your trunk and have them place it in there. My preferred diner has their attendees wearing masks and gloves.
Easy peasy.

I drink lotsa smoothies. Tired of the high fat fast food.

We enjoy cooking. Haven't been to a restaurant since some time last year. Won't even touch fast food swill. End of problems.

Several places where I have picked up our orders here (Alliance, Ohio) you tell them what you will be driving, or you call when you arrive, they have a designated parking area, and they bring the food out to your car when it's ready. If you pay by Paypal or credit card, you often have nothing to sign but, if they need a signed receipt, I have my own pens in my truck. At least one restaurant even handed me an extra sanitizing wipe to wipe down my card when they handed it back.
Outback has a such a take out process in place.

Most here bring it out to your car, and they have a portable credit card thingy.
I usually just hand them cash and tell 'em to keep the change.

Perhaps look for places that are doing outside dining? Safer than indoor dining.

Never go in too eat. I leave in the truck for 2 or 3 weeks and I bring as much food from home as I can. if I run out, i shop to resupply. I, myself do not see the need to eat out, take out, no matter how you get it.

I don't know who has the higher SQ (stupidity quotient); the owner of the steakhouse in my town that has reopened its buffet, or the people who eat at the buffet.

Unbelievable.

While other restaurants have been allowed to reopen, Indiana has not allowed self-serve buffets. One restaurant, which has already previously been forced closed by the health department for other violations, tempted fate and was shut down again for allowing customers to serve themselves at the buffet. This place has a long history of violations and yet some apparently trust their sushi. I'll take risks, but I'm not that brave.

CA had inside dining for about two weeks (with social distancing restrictions), then rescinded it when there was a surge. Right now you can still eat out, but the seating has to be outside and the tables have to be at least 6' apart. Since restaurants tend to be clumped together, a lot of them have set up special shared outside dining areas... I know a few cities where they've actually closed off streets to set up outdoor dining. It actually creates kind of a festival atmosphere.

A local Wendy's has gone down hill for us. The wife like the apple pecan salad, yet the last few visits (for drive thru pick up), they seem to want her to like the South West style salad..

While other restaurants have been allowed to reopen, Indiana has not allowed self-serve buffets. One restaurant, which has already previously been forced closed by the health department for other violations, tempted fate and was shut down again for allowing customers to serve themselves at the buffet. This place has a long history of violations and yet some apparently trust their sushi. I'll take risks, but I'm not that brave.

In Ohio's Amish communities, the Amish buffets are a staple and the core of many Amish restaurants. But Ohio's new reopening regulations do not permit customers to visit the buffet, instead, one of the restaurant employees, in PPE, visits the buffet and fills your plate for you (presumably according to your instructions). I'm not sure how this differs much from just ordering off the menu, but that's how it's supposed to work.

CA had inside dining for about two weeks (with social distancing restrictions), then rescinded it when there was a surge. Right now you can still eat out, but the seating has to be outside and the tables have to be at least 6' apart. Since restaurants tend to be clumped together, a lot of them have set up special shared outside dining areas... I know a few cities where they've actually closed off streets to set up outdoor dining. It actually creates kind of a festival atmosphere.
Montreal is kinda doing that: closing off / reducing traffic on some streets to allow for larger terraces outside for dining.. but doing so has other issues..

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/active-mobility-corridor-cancelled-in-sud-ouest-1.5670083

Seattle has had outdoor cafe setups even in the Before Times when restaurants could take up a piece of the sidewalk for a fee. They've significantly expanded that program (don't know if they reduced fees), so most restaurants have some amount of outside dining. Still not doing it though. Takeout with big tips for us.

Mr. Geek, they've been doing that a lot in Montreal: allowing terraces on the sidewalks of downtown for a long while now. And they're even allowing some to overtake parking spaces. My beef is, that they've left only narrow corridors for you to walk along. And, toss in the 'no smoking' policies, a lot of these terraces are now smoking sections.. (Montreal is considered Canada's ashtray / sin center!!)

and with a lot of this, the merchants complain that taking away routes & parking spaces educes customers. I don't go downtown anymore, due to Covid, the massive amount of construction going on in the city (years of neglect have finally caught up with an aging infrastructure! and a massive highway / interchange rebuild) and a reduced amount of parking...

Back