Picked up an Astrocam for my son

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DankMemes

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty cool seeing new rockets on the shelves of Target, snapped up an Astrocam for my 5 year old, and we’ll build it together this weekend. I’ll see how he does following directions with this one which will be his first rocket, if he does well I’ll get a big Bertha or an alpha III out of the build pile for him

Attachments

• AF9F729D-1FFA-4597-968C-F7BBD2FCA3FE.jpeg
    AF9F729D-1FFA-4597-968C-F7BBD2FCA3FE.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 109
Good for you!

The rocket itself will probably be a pretty good first build, though you will probably have to help with the shock cord mount unless he's got really good coordination. The line that ties the 'chute to the tip of the nose cone is a little slick for unpracticed fingers to tie as well. But otherwise it's straightforward.

Also I have learned by flying one that there is a standby time-out function on the camera....if you turn it on, but don't start a recording, after one minute it will turn itself off again. So you need to turn it on and start the recording at the pad. It may be necessary to take the camera out of its cradle in the nose cone to see the little blue indicator LED so you can see what it is doing. Just a couple of little things to be aware of operating it....

Thanks for the tips, good point I’ll Defintely have to help him with the knots, since he can’t quite to his shoes just yet, but I’m pretty sure he can do the rest, he builds stuff with LEGO’s that blows my mind... if he does well I’m thinking the alpha III next, as that gets him into glueing and measuring but without having to align fins. Then if he likes then something big like a Bertha that’s still super easy and has big parts so they are easy to grab

Hey, does the new Astrocam use a BT-55 (as I think was reported earlier) or BT-50 (as the Estes.com description indicates diameter 0.98in). Thanks!

I have to be honest, I got the kit, saw the nose cone design and just took the camera to use on other rockets. Im sure il build it soon, and I've been pleased w the camera. So far had it on a couple c6 motors and the footage is awesome. Even slowed down to 1/4 speed it still looks great.

I just used the camera today on a single stage mongoose c6-5. I like the stability of the goose in single stage form and it made for a pretty straight flight.

Will post the video once it uploads

I have to be honest, I got the kit, saw the nose cone design and just took the camera to use on other rockets.

Completely agree. I actually bought this kit as a way to get a decent camera for more launch videos, but it was a pretty easy build that my 5 yo could help out with.

Here's the footage from today! Hope you and the kid enjoy it! I know my little ones love the camera launches! They like to make funny expressions and try to see it on the video lol.

Back