Picassa? Flicker? PhotoBucket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delta22

Reaction score
I want to share full resulotion photos from rocket launches with anyone who wants them. Don't want to require that a person joins before they can download photos.

What Photo services do you all have positive experience with that could do this well and for free?

If you're posting a lot of full-res photos, you may well run hit the limits of all those sites quite easily. From what I can remember, Picasa has a 1gb storage limit. Flickr limits the amount you can upload each month (100mb a month, I think?). Photobucket has a 500mb storage limit and a 10gb/month bandwidth limit. All three sites also have various paid accounts which raise or remove the restrictions on their free accounts.

Personally I have only used Picasaweb (Picasa is the software, Picasaweb is the online photo storage thingy) and quite liked it. I'm not all that keen on how it deals with displaying fullsize photos, but I like it more than flickr. https://picasaweb.google.com/wikrok
As far as I'm concerned, Photobucket is the place Myspace teens upload their flashing GIFs and not good for much else ;).

Now I use Gallery2 installed on my own webspace, but that has a monthly cost to it, unfortunately. https://gallery.fuelledbycaffeine.org

I dunno if there are any decent free sites which will let you host lots of full res pics. If you can live within their limits, I don't think you can really go wrong with Picasaweb or Flickr.

Phil

Flickr should allow users to download original size photos. The only way i know is kinda cumbersome, but works. 1) Get the photo displayed, 2) Click on All Sizes, 3) Click on Original Size, 4) Click Download The Original Size.

If someone knows a less cumbersome way, i'm all ears.

Pretty certain you do not have to be a Flickr member to download original size photos. I started using Flickr a year ago for that reason.

Like someone said before the free account has limitations. I think the paid account is $30 a year. This year i shelled out the money for the account.

Check out Snapfish and Shutterfly. I don't know much about them but, Kim Komando the digital goddess lists them on her site.

What WiK said, but noting that if you put full res online they'll eventually end up being used without permission for commercial purposes by stingy/lazy people worldwide.
I used to use gallery, but now tend to mostly use PicassaWeb (with scaled down images), and if I really need to, then flikr. I also export direct from FSpot to PicassaWeb/Flikr (picassaweb is much easier imho).

Back