Photoshop Help Please!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder why subscribe and get updates, since you do not need any new features (and the newest feature of no Jpeg support is a massive bug).

I subscribe because of the other applications that I DO use more often and with more interest and skill.

It's great to know a 20 year old PPC Mac is still out in the wild doing good work – an impressive testament to your fortitude and Apple's hardware (and software – that it's so easy to boot off an external drive.) Keep up the good work, no matter how you get it done!

Tony
Thanks. It's partly necessity for cost compared to a new desktop Mac. But also to be able to use old orphaned Apps other than just an old Photoshop that's good enough. My original G5's motherboard went bad around 10 years ago, a local computer shop sold me another in good condition, at a good enough price, with a discount for keeping the old one for parts.

For rocketry purposes, the most important for me is to be able to run MacDraw & ClarisDraw (orphanware). I never found a newer 2D drawing program that I felt comfortable with, and most could not do what MacDraw & Clarisdraw could do. I made most of the Little Joe-II drawings using MacDraw (Tom Beach and I collaborated in 1990-1992 for the drawings that appeared in the NAR's magazine in 1992). I'd mail him a floppy with some drawings, he'd tweak some, or add some new pieces, and mail them back with notes.) That software won't run on anything after Mac OS 10.4 (I can boot up different OS's on the G5 mac's drives).

K8Ckj0F.gif

Also, Peter Alway has drawn, and continues to draw, his excellent scale drawings using MacDraw & Clarisdraw. Every drawing in his Rockets of the World book. He is using a Mac much older than mine, from the 1990's. Possibly even an iMac. In his case it is a $ issue for the model of Mac, he'd probably love to have a G5 in good shape (plus monitor if he's is indeed using an iMac without an external monitor).

1kDfsSK.jpg

Back to photoshop, below is the most complex image I have made. At the 2000 World SpaceModeling Championships (WSMC), the three US Team members who flew the Scale Altitude event (S5) all used Bumper-Wacs. The rules at the time required 50% of the model length to be at least 50mm in diameter, which led to nearly all countries using 2-stage models (upper stages with 10-11mm motors). And the Bumper-Wac was almost ideal. We called them "clones". So, I worked on a photo showing those team members (and helpers) with their models, and added more and more clones, from other photos of the same people, and also some other team members. Even a photo of one S5 team member when he had a beard. The key to it being possible to do without looking too funky, was the overcast sky which caused even lighting regardless of which compass direction the photos were taken from. If it was a sunny day, it would not have worked out due to shadows. The resulting image was not so much from being a "master" of Photoshop (which I am not), but more from the drudgery of going thru the photos to trace around the edges of the people and objects I wanted to copy and paste in, while building up layer after layer.

DUs8qUH.jpg

Original photo before photoshop:
hQLy8Lb.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back