photos MWP7

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtm3323

Reaction score
ENJOY!!

:marshmallow::marshmallow::marshmallow: i love the dancing marshmallow

prediannelevel3.jpg
daine pre level 3

diannelevel3skidn.jpg
her level 3 on a 98mm n skid of some sorts

dainnelevel3skidd.jpg
nice christmas tree

wildjrdragrace.jpg
a couple of wildman rockets

turkey.jpg
eric cayemberg's turkey rocket

thedress.jpg
what happends when you lose the drag race

portapottyskid.jpg
i gotta go on a skid, yep a big porta potty rocket

dragracepre.jpg
group shot

dragrace.jpg
wildman drag race

dragracff.jpg
lots of smoke

extrememotorretention.jpg
EXTREME MOTOR RETENTION

moon.jpg
main coming right out near moon

ldbeforedrag.jpg
a rocket about to LD

billcarneyld.jpg
Bill's rocket about to LD

wildjjrdragrace.jpg
wildman jr drag race, big turnout!!

ericrockbeforecato.jpg
eric cayemberg pre cato

ericaftercato.jpg
assesing the damage, yep a special guest appearance by Jeroen @ CTI

minimaggl1cert.jpg
level 1 cert on a skid

onlyonemotorlit.jpg
only one motor lit

darrelmmotorsunday.jpg
darrell at wildman KY flying ultimate wildman on a CTI M demo motor

crazyjim.jpg
Jeroen, i wouldn't take advice from crazy jim.....j/k

Gerald,

VERY nice pics!!! I love how you caught the birds just moments before IMPACT!

I bet Moe is jealous!

Jonathan

crazyjim.jpg
Jeroen, i wouldn't take advice from crazy jim.....j/k

That is so precious! :roll: Jim is probably trying to convince Jeroen to make a 54mm M20,000 for this rocket....

"if it had enough thrust, I bet you it would fly straight, even with some broken fins... "

onlyonemotorlit.jpg
only one motor lit

Yeah, that would be mine.

This was the first time that magnalite wouldn't work... 3 times in a row. :( I did have to re-thin it to make the igniters, so it may have to do with that.

Surprisingly, it suffered almost no damage, it just needs the capsule shroud replaced. I may take this as a oppritunity to add more detail to it. It will fly on Hs with the top grain painted with magnalite from now on.

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing

Gotta love the skidmark motors!

Anyone who participated in the 3" Wildman drag race interested in posting their stats?

I flew mine at Red Glare with a L935 and am interested in hearing how others fared. My altitude was 12,269 feet and speed was 1274 f/s. Launch weight was 15.2 pounds.

I flew mine at Red Glare with a L935 and am interested in hearing how others fared. My altitude was 12,269 feet and speed was 1274 f/s. Launch weight was 15.2 pounds.
Tim Lehr announced all altitudes at the pizza party the night of the drag race. Most of them were around 12-13 kft. There were two (suspicious??) flights: one 15kft and one 16kft. I did see at least one 'cheater' with a tail-cone. :)

Jeroen

I believe that 12,269 feet would have put you in 8th place.

Five of the nine altitudes I see reported were between 12,500 feet and 13,000 feet (thanks, Sather, for pointing that out). Five fliers didn't report any altitudes (lost rockets, no chute), two were those "cheaters", coming in at 16,278 and 13,879 feet, one made only 11,595 feet, and one flew on a small motor to only 2,556 feet.

I do find the consistency pretty impressive.

Worth noting, the rocket that did 16,278 had a super smooth finish. The owner even polished and waxed it :eyepop:.

Surface finish does have an impact on altitude. Not sure it explains all of the difference, but certainly some of it.

Worth noting, the rocket that did 16,278 had a super smooth finish. The owner even polished and waxed it :eyepop:.

Surface finish does have an impact on altitude. Not sure it explains all of the difference, but certainly some of it.

I heard that the one that hit 16K was 3" shorter too. That might have something to do with it, but 3" shouldn't make a difference of almost 4000 feet.

I believe that 12,269 feet would have put you in 8th place.

Five of the nine altitudes I see reported were between 12,500 feet and 13,000 feet (thanks, Sather, for pointing that out). Five fliers didn't report any altitudes (lost rockets, no chute), two were those "cheaters", coming in at 16,278 and 13,879 feet, one made only 11,595 feet, and one flew on a small motor to only 2,556 feet.

I do find the consistency pretty impressive.
The one that only made 11,595 was my rocket.
After down loading the data it did do a little better than that.
My MAWD had it at 11819'
My Arts II had it at 11875'.
15 g's
Max velocity 1192ft/s
My lift off weight should have been a little over 17lbs.
Why so heavy?
It was not a stock build.
It had a extra one foot section and a Mongoose nose cone to accommodate my Ozark AeroSpace GPS unit.
That added just under 3 lbs to the build weight.
The rocket was built before the drag race announcement and built strong. Not with drag racing in mind.
It was flight number seven on the rocket.
I could have flown it with just the stock nose cone and perhaps hit about 13k. But I spent to much on that nose cone and GPS unit to leave it sitting on the ground. LOL
I figured I would be at the low end on altitude but was hoping others would have issues.
I do know the rocket that went to over 16k was tricked out to the max.
Built to win this drag race.
Hats off to the winner.
Job well done!

So did anyone ever find out what Gus did to achieve 16K+ feet? What was the "secret sauce"?

I heard that the one that hit 16K was 3" shorter too. That might have something to do with it, but 3" shouldn't make a difference of almost 4000 feet.

So did anyone ever find out what Gus did to achieve 16K+ feet? What was the "secret sauce"?
I received an email from him about his next project. A PR Mon-Gus 98 two stage.
He is talking about an EX O staging to a CTI N.
Tentatively named " Native Son" in honor of his mothers native American heritage.
So instead of "secret sauce" I think he may of had some kind of native American spell placed on the thing.

What the heck was going on with those rockets? Grossly overweight for the motors? Drag like a '66 Kenworth? Was the trash can full and they were hoping to put it into orbit?

I like large rockets with the low and slow thing going on but these were streching things a bit;)

Grossly overweight, underpowered, too draggy, poor design, the works.

I omitted the video of the really dangerous one. Rules were changed dramatically after these.

Hey, we're way off topic. None of these rocket flights have anything to do with MWP7. Back to the question, does anyone know what Gus did to get his rocket to fly so well? So high? A difference of 4000 feet in a sampling of 17 or so is not just an anomaly.

People sure seem to be way close to the pad when it launches!:eek:

That's mostly the telephoto lens effect, though I wouldn't swear that minimum distances were strictly maintained. I'd rather not say more, other than that I don't imagine it'll happen again.

Back to the topic at hand...

Hey, we're way off topic. None of these rocket flights have anything to do with MWP7. Back to the question, does anyone know what Gus did to get his rocket to fly so well? So high? A difference of 4000 feet in a sampling of 17 or so is not just an anomaly.

Being a friend of Gus', I can say the biggest thing he did was doing his homework.....Science homework!

He eliminated as much needless weight as he could. He left off the ebay ring making it 3" shorter.....with Wildman's permission. All "questionable" modifications were run by the Wildman himself.

Gus has an attention to detail that I don't even come close to. To be honest, it drives me crazy at times, but THAT is what won the drag race, NOT cheating. I wish I had a pic of his ebay sled, CF with all unneeded sections removed. Just enough material to mount the altimeter to it. A lot of little details that all added up.

How can someone insinuate that Gus cheated if a formal list of ANY/ALL DRAG RACE RULES were not posted on the Midwest Power website, nor Wildman's. If you were not participating in the drag race, how would you know what modifications were acceptable unless you talked to Tim directly???

Gus is a passionate, experienced rocketman ad I can personally vouch that he is as honest and sincere as they come. Gus did not cheat, he optimized a design for weight and drag.

For future drag races, clear and concise rules NEED TO BE POSTED WELL IN ADVANCE OF THE EVENT.

Justin

Last edited:
I can say that I inspected Gus’s rocket after the race .
And he did push the envelope but did not cheat in any way the only thing that was questionable was the switch band missing but that sure didn't give him the altitude he got. and I gave him the OK
He did however VOID his lifetime warrantee:rolleyes:
Tim
Drag race RSO

How can someone insinuate that Gus cheated

I'm the one who said "cheaters", and I didn't mean to imply anything. Bad choice of words on my part, completely my fault, I know nothing to support the claim and don't believe that anyone cheated in any sense, and I apologize profusely to Gus and to the other person with the exceptional altitude. I was wrong to use the term, and honestly I can't remember what made me say it in the first place. Given what we've read here, I believe that Gus' "secret sauce" probably was pure craftsmanship, something that some rocketeers obviously have in far greater quantity than the rest of us.

Sorry, Gus and other unknown person.

Back