Photo sharing for build threads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorn

Reaction score
I'd like to post my first build thread, but that just brought up a question.

What is the best option for a photo sharing site where I can upload the photos and then link from thread? Or is there a better way to post the pictures?

What I do is:

> Edit all pictures I intend to post by cropping and compressing them (to less than 100KB) in a picture editing program, I use PhotoShop Elements, there are many others out there

> When writing the post click on Go Advanced

> Type in text

> Click on the paperclip and attach pictures directly into the thread

This puts the pictures right into the thread, and also makes them small enough for quick downloads.

If you click on the paper clip in the message it will give you a pop up message that will allow you to attach images here at the site. There are size limits but it's usually sufficient.

When I looked at the attachments button, I read it as 19 KB for every file type, and thought that was too small.

Now I looked again, I see it is 97.7 KB, for jpg, which should sufficient, as you say. I'll have to try it that way, with a little resizing it shouldn't be bad.

When I looked at the attachments button, I read it as 19 KB for every file type, and thought that was too small.

Now I looked again, I see it is 97.7 KB, for jpg, which should sufficient, as you say. I'll have to try it that way, with a little resizing it shouldn't be bad.

Yea, I found that real confusing too.:confused:

After clicking on the Quick Reply button and the text window opens up at the bottom of the page, you should see a Go Advanced button below that window. It is next to the Post Quick Reply button.

A number of additional features are available after clicking Go Advanced.

Interesting. I have never even seen the quick reply feature. I have always used the "Post Reply" button just below the last post on the left side.

What is the difference bewteen a regular post reply and a quick reply?

What I do is:

> Edit all pictures I intend to post by cropping and compressing them (to less than 100KB) in a picture editing program, I use PhotoShop Elements, there are many others out there

I got lazy, in Windows XP I "right Click" on the picture, choose "send to mail receipiant", it then asks if you want to make them smaller, I select yes, It creates the email, with the smaller file, I then copy that file to a folder called "small Pictures". I then delete the email without sending it, and use the copied file for the attachment.

Interesting. I have never even seen the quick reply feature. I have always used the "Post Reply" button just below the last post on the left side.

What is the difference bewteen a regular post reply and a quick reply?

When you read a post there are 3 icons in the lower right hand corner of that post..They are: "QUOTE"(which I used to make this post and it automatically puts you in the 'advanced' post screen), Multi-Quote Icon(haven't tried that one-I guess so you can quote more then 1 previous message in your reply) and the last one is the 'Quick Reply' icon which I have attached for redundancy..LOL..Have I confused you yet? ;)

Difference between 'regular post reply' and 'quick reply' is that the regular puts you in the 'advanced' screen automatically..Where the 'quick reply' activates the 'text box' at the end of the thread for you to type your post in and it has the 2 icons of 'post quick reply' and 'go advanced'...

quickreply.gif

When I first started posting, I kept getting teeny pictures by resizing, little better than thumbnails.

Later on, I found a button in Photoshop called "save for web" and that created a jpg big enough and usually small enough in file size. The trade off was in resolution but its sufficient for computer screens.

I look forward to seeing your build!

When I first started posting, I kept getting teeny pictures by resizing, little better than thumbnails.

Later on, I found a button in Photoshop called "save for web" and that created a jpg big enough and usually small enough in file size. The trade off was in resolution but its sufficient for computer screens.

I look forward to seeing your build!

yes, that what i've been doing, and there is hardly any change in the picture quality.

If you don't have Photoshop, then IrfanView is a great free program for making simple adjustments (such as resizing) to images.

Phil

I just use Paint - free with Windows. I can resize or crop (or both) until the size in under the size limit. I notice the size limits are rediculously small except for .jpg which is reasonable. Change all to 100 KB and add RockSim, SpaceCad, and common altimeter file types as well. Zipping everything is a PITA.

I use picasa, and I synchronize my build album to web. Then I get the html embed code. I've written a simple program in Qt4, which given the html embed code converts it to forum embed code. Then I paste the forum embed code here. Voila!

I use picasa, and I synchronize my build album to web. Then I get the html embed code. I've written a simple program in Qt4, which given the html embed code converts it to forum embed code. Then I paste the forum embed code here. Voila!

I tried Picasa, but couldn't get the link codes it gave me to work with the forums. What do you have to do to convert them to an forum embed code?

Latest posts

Back