Phone Fax Freeware

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailorbill

Reaction score
I bought a new laptop for the wife so I could use her old one for rocketry things. Mine is Win 95 hers is Win ME.

The new laptop is a Compaq presario CQ60, 3 gig of ram, 150 gig HD, built in WiFi and Vista Basic. Plus our darling youngest daughter gave us a brand new Vista compatible Canon Pixima MP240 scanner printer. :clap:

My problem is finding a program, preferably freeware, that will allow her to scan documents with the MP240 and fax them using the installed fax modem in the Laptop. I can find web based programs but none that will let me use a phone line as required by the companies she works for. :rolleyes:

The program on her old laptop will not work on the Vista machine.:mad:

Any help would really be appreciated.

Does your computer not allow you to print to fax...? When I installed WinXP on my computer, that was one of the features that could be installed.

Failing that, you might search the TuCows website https://www.tucows.com to find something...

Does your computer not allow you to print to fax...? When I installed WinXP on my computer, that was one of the features that could be installed.

Failing that, you might search the TuCows website https://www.tucows.com to find something...

We looked for that but could not find it anywhere. We don't have Word installed just Works.
I wonder if open office has that capability? I will check.

Faxing from the computer is usually done while printing. The printer software installs a "printer" which is really a fax. When you want to fax, you PRINT, and you chose the FAX PRINTER from the list.

Have you tried down loading an updated printer driver software form the manufacturer. My wife bought an HP Photo printer/scanner, and the software that can with it was a total piece of S**T. the installer crashed twice, and it had this monitoring software that started with the computer, so that if you wanted to scan something directly from the printer it would start the software automatically on the computer. Anyway it would hang when you wanted to shut down the computer, and you had to give the 3 finger salute to open the process manager to kill it, THEN the computer would continue to shut down. It took HP almost a year to fix the software, and now it works great. This is on Windows XP, the software worked well out of the box on a Mac, and in Linux.

Now if I'm installing a printer I don't bother with the software that comes in the box, I go right the the manufactures web site and download the latest drivers. The install is faster too, as it's running from the hard drive, not the CD drive.

You may need to install the Fax feature for Windows Vista.

Open up Control Panel and click on Programs and Features.
Click on 'Turn Windows features on or off'.
Make sure Windows Fax and Scan is selected.

Hope this helps!

I'm suprised that the Canon Scanner/Printer did not come with application software. Mine came with an app that does copying, scanning and faxs.

I'm suprised that the Canon Scanner/Printer did not come with application software. Mine came with an app that does copying, scanning and faxs.

I was too but I cannot find one and I even checked to ensure I had the latest drivers and software.
I am currently trying to get the software from the wifes old computer to work. If that doesn't work maybe I will try they program from my XP.
It is amazing the number of vista users that are upset with Microsoft because they make you upgrade to the most expensive version Vista to get the Fax utility.

There are two families of Canon Pixma multifunction devices, the MP series and the MX series. The MP series seem to be more focused on working with photos (e.g. additional inks beyond the CMYK colors) whereas the MX series are more of the "office type" (including a fax but only CMYK printing).

The MP240 doesn't contain a fax so i don't believe Canon would make the fax functionality a part of the driver. Going with the fax functionality of Vista might be your best bet.

Reinhard

Back