Phoenix on f21 6w

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doxiedog315

Reaction score
Found a phoenix at 1/2 off today,at a going out of busness sale. i have some f21 6w motors.Questions ,how much, if any do i need to beef it up? If this is not a good idea,what is a good cluster set up? thanks....jerry

the missile 30"tall. tubes seem very thin,now that i have opened it .don't know if this might work.

Jerry, Those Estes tubes are very tough; even the thin ones. My 4" diam. Estes V-2 hit the ground w/o the parachute deploying & jammed the cone back in the tube w/o tearing it. The same thing happened w/a Fat Boy. I believe the Phoenix will fly just fine on the F21. Just check for stability & use good construction techniques. :) I really do not think you'll have to "beef up" anything.

I like the Phoenix Missile.... flies great with H128's.... wait... you are talking about the Estes one..... well, I am sure that will fly great with a H128 too :D :rolleyes:

Seriously, the Estes kit is a very tough kit. I would add a little nose weight to the nose, because the Phoenix does wander around a bit. The F21 will have no problem lifting that bird, but I suggest using E9's with caution... they don't have much lifting power.

I've flown my Estes Phoenix with 4 D's, and 4E-9's (actually only 3 because one didn't light), and it flew beautifully. Granted, I also threw a TON of lead into the nose cone to make it very overstable, even in a good wind. If you built those fins strong and gave them some good filleting, they'll survive. The weakest area though is the fin can with those aft fins... they tend to be the ones to break.

WW

I suggest using 1/8 inch lite ply for the fins. It is stronger than basswood and about the same weight. I would use a kevlar leader on the recovery system and slow cure epoxy to build it. I would use the rest of Estes parts aside from the fin stock.

Originally posted by rbeckey
I suggest using 1/8 inch lite ply for the fins. It is stronger than basswood and about the same weight. I would use a kevlar leader on the recovery system and slow cure epoxy to build it. I would use the rest of Estes parts aside from the fin stock.

I replaced all my fins with basswood (allowed me to sand in the airfoils easier), coated the CR's with epoxy, used a LOC/Precision 24mm motor tube, and recovery with a kevlar leader. I also coated the aft end of the inside of the body tube with epoxy to help protect the tube from the heat of the recessed engine tube. Haven't launched it yet - need 24mm reloads, but I'm hoping to this summer.

Loopy

Another good suggested is cementing a tube coupler inside of the tail of the rocket. This will help stiffin the tube. Fiberglass is also a good choice, and probabily the best choice, since your tube has already been coated with epoxy.

Latest posts

Back