Philosophy of Life

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I go along the Boy Scout Oath,
To do my duty to God and my Country, To obey the Scout Law, To help other people at all times. To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight. Probably broke each one in my 20's.
and the Scout Motto, Be Prepared. Always front and center.
I gave up on the golden rule because I seemed to be the only one who knew it.

I go along the Boy Scout Oath,
To do my duty to God and my Country, To obey the Scout Law, To help other people at all times. To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight. Probably broke each one in my 20's.
and the Scout Motto, Be Prepared. Always front and center.
I gave up on the golden rule because I seemed to be the only one who knew it.
The golden rule has been re-written to..."Those that have the gold make the rules".

Don't bother quoting and responding to this.
With apologies, I must. The Lewis quote says "[M]ost things...". "Most" explicitly means "not all". And my more general version says "Save you energy for the things that do [matter]." And you've listed several things that do matter. A lot.

Last edited:
(I usually multi-quote, but I felt like this time merits separate ones.)

Do unto others , what you would have done to you. Easier said/written than done, but a perfect rule. I know the one who did it perfectly, and want to be like him. I fail every day trying, but that is my desire.
It's stated as a joke, but it's also completely true. "Don't do unto others what you would have done to you; their tastes may be different." Treat others with respect, curtesy, and sensitivity to each of their own needs.

I try to live by two more, even though what I opened with remains supreme for me:

"Don't hurt each other, and clean up your mess." - John McCutcheon
Always carry a knife. (Which I guess is my version of "Be prepared". It's remarkable the problems I can fix with my Victorinox Explorer.)

In theory, many things are possible. In reality, many things don't work.
Everything in life is simple, but even the simplest things are difficult.
Never use a big word when diminutive one will suffice.
On that first one:
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice......there is.

A few ideas from within my general philosophy, primarily related to science and critical thought:

Every new idea sounds great until you do the math.
The problem with good ideas is that they devolve into lots of hard work.
Six months in the laboratory will save you six hours in the library.
Sometimes the "other side" of an argument is simply wrong.
(Corollary: science is not fair. That's the price of objectivity.)

He who knows not, and knows that he knows not, is a student; teach him.
He who knows not, and knows not that he knows not, is a fool; shun him. (part of an old Arabic proverb)

Best,
Terry

Treat people as they treat you and others around you.

It's amazing how many people can't take their own medicine.

My mom had this pinned to the bulletin board in the kitchen of my childhood home. I didn't always follow it, but it's something that has stuck with me.

1653728249935.png

My other favorite is "Measure twice, cut once."

When you look around and all you can see is chaos, panic and disorder. You'll know, that at last, your work is done.

Words often cannot express just how much I don't care.

Latest posts

Back