Philosophy of Life

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jqavins

Слава Україні
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a simple rule that guides me more than any other. I don't know why this came to mind today, but now I wonder if others have such guiding rules, philosophies, or whatnot as well. Mine is:

Most things don't matter. So save your energy for those few things that do.
----------------------
On second thought, I do know what brought it to mind; it was a quote from Lewis Thomas, author of The Lives of a Cell, but I don't know what brought that to mind.

The great secret, known to internists and learned early in marriage by internists' wives, but still hidden from the general public, is that most things get better by themselves. Most things, in fact, are better by morning.

This seems like the application to medicine of my more general statement: most things get better by themselves, so reserve medical interventions for those few things that are not (or surely will not be) better by morning.

My philosophy of life is
"Wherever you go, there you are."
😄
But for real inspiration something that the late Colin Powell wrote in his book comes to mind. These are his 13 life rules:
1. It ain't as bad as you think. It will look better in the morning.
2. Get mad, then get over it.
3. Avoid having your ego so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego goes with it.
4. It can be done.
5. Be careful what you choose. You may get it.
6. Don't let adverse facts stand in the way of a good decision.
7. You can't make someone else's choices. You shouldn't let someone else make yours.
8. Check small things.
9. Share credit.
10. Remain calm. Be kind.
11. Have a vision. Be demanding.
12. Don't take counsel of your fears or naysayers.
13. Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.
A very wise man indeed.

In theory, many things are possible. In reality, many things don't work.
Everything in life is simple, but even the simplest things are difficult.
Never use a big word when diminutive one will suffice.

I have a simple rule that guides me more than any other. I don't know why this came to mind today, but now I wonder if others have such guiding rules, philosophies, or whatnot as well. Mine is:

Most things don't matter. So save your energy for those few things that do.
This is my way of thinking. It can be incredibly challenging to sustain it while surrounded by people whose thinking is diametrically opposed.

My philosophy of life is:

1. Make sure the temperature is suitable, as this allows complex molecules to form.
2. Make sure gaseous oxygen is available, as this allows my complex molecules to form.
3. Make sure food is available, as this allows my complex molecules to sustain themselves.

The rest is personal preferences, like those things that matter, but different things matter to different people and in many cases, those things that matter are just different ways to ensure 1. 2. and 3.

🔭👾🚀

Everything in life is simple, but even the simplest things are difficult.
That reminds me of one that, while not a guiding principal, is something I often find myself reminding myself of and pointing out to others: "'Simple' and 'easy' are not the same thing."

Someone: "It's not that simple."
Me: "Yes it is. It's not easy, but it's just that simple."

(Fifty Years Ago) "Live fast, die young, spend every dime" ( Now ) "Wake up, take prescriptions, go to work and make $$ to buy prescriptions (and rocket stuff)" Most importantly - keep repeating the cycle and be thankful for each day above room temperature. I think of it like a thrill ride. Sliding down the razor blade of life.

I like what Kurt Vonnegut said at a talk I attended:

"We are put here on this earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any differently."

I've also seen too many co-workers die just a little before retirement to put off having fun.

Never use a big word when diminutive small one will suffice.
Fixed it for you.
Never use Avoid perpetually use the employment of a big word sesquipedalian locution when in circumstances wherein a diminutive one will suffice.
Fixed it better.

[B]e thankful for each day above room temperature.
If that's the main thing I have to be grateful for, I won't be grateful.
Sliding down the razor blade of life.
Uuuh🤢

(Fifty Years Ago) "Live fast, die young, spend every dime"
I remember it as "Live fast, die young, stay pretty".
"Live fast, die young, leave a good looking corpse" is how I learned it.

It just dawned on me, that sounds like the 80/20 Rule.
I prefer to think 90/10, but sure.

Saying things will get better in the morning, well maybe for most people, but try telling that to the 25K that will die of starvation every day, or to the people of Ukraine, or all the people who are days away from dying from cancer, people severely crippled with Cerebral Palsy, MD, MS, CMT, or suffering from severe depression, families dealing with their loved ones killed in mass shootings, parents who have had their children die young.
1/2 of the 8.2 Billion people live in abject poverty, kids born and spending their lives in garbage dumps. :eek: And we cannot forget all the children and adults who are caught in the horrid world of slavery, which still exists. In their world, things will not be getting any better.
Don't bother quoting and responding to this. I have a different view of the world than any of you, guaranteed. All of the above haunts me, non-stop, as 99% of it will not ever change, and as we are witnessing, actually are getting worse each decade.

I've learned some pretty important things, since I had a massive stroke two years ago: It's the things you never thought of that are important. Being able to get up and walk to the bathroom and take care of business is an unbelievable luxury. Everything else is gravy. You learn how nice it is to have good friends, and a wonderful remaining family.

Saying things will get better in the morning, well maybe for most people, but try telling that to the 25K that will die of starvation every day, or to the people of Ukraine, or all the people who are days away from dying from cancer, people severely crippled with Cerebral Palsy, MD, MS, CMT, or suffering from severe depression, families dealing with their loved ones killed in mass shootings, parents who have had their children die young.
1/2 of the 8.2 Billion people live in abject poverty, kids born and spending their lives in garbage dumps. :eek: And we cannot forget all the children and adults who are caught in the horrid world of slavery, which still exists. In their world, things will not be getting any better.
Don't bother quoting and responding to this. I have a different view of the world than any of you, guaranteed. All of the above haunts me, non-stop, as 99% of it will not ever change, and as we are witnessing, actually are getting worse each decade.
Why not? You are 100% correct. So that, as much as I can, I try to respond to these situations. Perhaps not as much as I can - obviously I could give it all away and live on gruel and near-nakedness in minimal shelter myself. But I guess that would be my rule - Be the good that you want to see in the world.

One of my favorite sayings is, “Never give up, there’s always a way”

Another is a quote attributable to Arthur Ashe: “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.”

Do unto others , what you would have done to you. Easier said/written than done, but a perfect rule. I know the one who did it perfectly, and want to be like him. I fail every day trying, but that is my desire.

Back