Pheonix and/or Python on an E?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidsheeep

Reaction score
Im just wondering if i could launch my both stock estes pheonix and/or python on an E safely... what would i need to do to reenforce them if i was going to?

and i imagine adding alittle noseweight?

If it's just for an Este E9, nothing is needed to "beef" it up. The E9 actually has less "kick" than the D12.

Just check the CG!

sandman

if the e9 has less kick then am i looking at lower altitudes? i wanna push these things alittle higher than the lower d12 altitudes

It has less of kick but a longer burn so you're going to get more altitude.

Just make sure that the E9 will lift your Phoenix safely. Not sure what the max liftoff weight of an E9 is, but you should find that out and make sure you're within the guidelines.

Loopy

If you are building a Phoenix for E9's, you should make it less "beefy" to keep the weight down. A D12 will stress it more than an E9.
On the other hand, if you use an AT E30, maybe you want to use epoxy on the fins.

Personally, I think most low power rockets are way overbuilt.
I recently sucessfully launched a BT80 scratch built on 4 D12's with no special construction techniques. The motor mount was built with wood glue, the fins are soft balsa not even TTW and held on with 5 min epoxy. The recovery system is a plastic Estes chute with spill hole. The BT is thin wall BMS BT80 with no "glass".

Latest posts

Back