Pet Peeves

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back-to-back forum posts rather than ONE post with multiple replies/statements in it (unless it is a very long story / article that needs to be split).

And, “AsterICK”. No such word. The word is Asterisk. *

Also, those who say “I could care less”. Which means, they REALLY DO CARE, at some level, since they COULD care LESS than they do right now. Otherwise they would say “I could NOT care less” (which is what the original saying is supposed to be, and mean. As in “I do not care at all”). But too many screw it up, or like a Lemming, follow the mistakes by others (also, again, see “AsterICK”).

Note the above were all in one post, not three posts back-to-back. :)

Last edited:
Remaking movies that don't need to be remade, for example Rollerball (1975): brilliant sociopolitical drama about using sport for population control, vs Rollerball (2002): dreary, mindless crap with a cast of overpaid dropkicks.

YMMV. Hopefully not.

Remaking movies that don't need to be remade, for example Rollerball (1975): brilliant sociopolitical drama about using sport for population control, vs Rollerball (2002): dreary, mindless crap with a cast of overpaid dropkicks.

YMMV. Hopefully not.
Death Race 2000 as well!

or the Japanese horror The Ring / Ringu. Creepy Japanese, but "needed" to be redone by an American film Co.

People who think that societal problems can be solved just by throwing more money at it.

or that "you" should be the one to [help] solve it..

One club I belong to, has someone who means well: he is the one who will raise many an issue with the club. But he is the one who expects 'the executives' to deal with & solve it.. and then complains that the club is badly run because 'his' issue wasn't dealt with..

"Thank you Tim for raising the issue. Can we ask that you take the lead on this?"

"Oh no. I raised the issue, this should be the VP & Secretary's responsibility to solve, to go out & [fix / accomplish whatever]"

people who scam you out of your money for online stuff. I'm on the phone now with the bank to file a claim as I paid a kid $80 for rocket motors on November 7th, and haven't seen them yet, and he stopped responding to my messages last week

Non standardized paper towel, wax paper and aluminum foil tubes.
Most paper towel and wax paper tubes fit my roll dispenser.
Large enough diameter, short enough length.
Not so with the aluminum foil tubes.
Why?
1220211040[1].jpg1220211041[1].jpg
:questions:

Someone who uses "would of/could of/should of" instead of "Would have/could have/should have". Speech to text isn't always your friend.........
Would is the past tense of will. Very hard to use correctly. Many people mistakenly use it when referring to present or future events, it which case the correct word is will. Many engineers seem to use would as a non-committal form of will...

I would have gotten away with it, if it was not for those pesky kids; now I will go to jail.

greedy corporations and their greedy masters who won't pay their employees that actually do the work, a great wage that would make them very happy to be "debt slaves."

A small pet peeve. If this (or other language-specific tests) was actually used in place of other tests-for-access, the intelligence level of internet content would rise substantially.

I won't mention the use of apostrophe's to denote plural's... ;) On second thought, yes, I will.

1640096592783.png

A small pet peeve. If this (or other language-specific tests) was actually used in place of other tests-for-access, the intelligence level of internet content would rise substantially.

I won't mention the use of apostrophe's to denote plural's... ;) On second thought, yes, I will.

View attachment 495897
I would (or is it will? 😆) add “brake” and “break” along with “sell” and “sale” - with “sail” thrown in as well. Along with “pique” and “peak” plus “bare” and “bear” and the rare but still annoying “kit” versus “kid” - as in gloves you made from parts rather than gloves made from soft goat leather worn by a dandy I guess?

And let’s not even get started on “it’s” and “its”…😳

…or the overuse of ellipses…🤪

People who smoke in designated non-smoking areas and common areas. Often public restrooms here in China smell worse than those you'd find in early 1970's gas station restrooms thanks to all the jerks smoking in them.

Add people that use "borked" instead of "baulked".
That's a new one on me, I'm glad to say.

"Prolly". :mad: I first encountered it in the late 90s, from someone with a variety of other physical and social disabilities, and it took me half a week to figure out that he meant "probably". Only years later did I started to encounter other people, with otherwise intact physical, mental, and social skills, using it the same way. Say the Whole Damn Word!

That's a new one on me, I'm glad to say.

"Prolly". :mad: I first encountered it in the late 90s, from someone with a variety of other physical and social disabilities, and it took me half a week to figure out that he meant "probably". Only years later did I started to encounter other people, with otherwise intact physical, mental, and social skills, using it the same way. Say the Whole Damn Word!
Verily do I also agree, forsooth e'en yon vagabond affirmeth.

Guilty as charged.

I thought it was part of my sweet, girlish charm...

Back