Pet Peeves

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like, I understand the early Christmas 'advertising' this year, due to the potential lack of gifts / supplies come december. But I fear this will be the 'open door' they want; to start making this 'routine'..

I just hope 'a' local mall doesn't end up in the news, pushing out the veterans who put up their display for Remembrance day (Nov. 11th)

although old, there is always one mall / shop that turns away our heroes..

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/quebec-mall-criticized-for-santa-visiting-on-remembrance-day-1.3671113

I bought a new car!

Called the insurance people for the paperwork. "You can download your insurance on our app.."

Why would I want to do that? Why do I need your app on my phone? Do you think I am that bad of a driver, that I need your app on my phone "just in case?" Its not like you offer games, or a 10% discount for every day items or anything..

And stores seem to be pushing their apps as well.. "get deals, get reviews, see in store locations & stock.." (And we can send you miles of ads & track your habits..)

Are we that devoted to / dependent on our phones, that we need apps for just about every aspect of our lives?! Madcow, Wildman, when are your apps coming out?!

sorry, that's more of a rant than a pet peeve!

alled the insurance people for the paperwork. "You can download your insurance on our app.."
When I got my cars' safety check the last time and they asked me for my insurance I pulled out a card from my wallet. They said the state does not accept that.
what?
They said the print size was too small and they needed to photograph it from the insurance app on my phone. Well, I did have the app on my phone, took me some digging to bring up the insurance card. I can see where many senior citizens would not have a cell phone, much less the app.
What next? "I'm sorry sir, but we don't take cash for your grocery payment."
Debit or credit cards only.
Ridiculous.

I bought a new car!

Called the insurance people for the paperwork. "You can download your insurance on our app.."

Why would I want to do that? Why do I need your app on my phone? Do you think I am that bad of a driver, that I need your app on my phone "just in case?" Its not like you offer games, or a 10% discount for every day items or anything..

And stores seem to be pushing their apps as well.. "get deals, get reviews, see in store locations & stock.." (And we can send you miles of ads & track your habits..)

Are we that devoted to / dependent on our phones, that we need apps for just about every aspect of our lives?! Madcow, Wildman, when are your apps coming out?!

sorry, that's more of a rant than a pet peeve!

I try to avoid those apps as much as possible. I believe most are collecting data that the companies use/sell.
The Orwellian future of big brother watching us is more big business instead of the government
Or course Big business and the government are somewhat indistinguishable now days

Hmm - maybe this more belongs in the conspiracy thread........ ;)

Retail establishments trending toward low service/no service.
A few months ago my local grocery store (part of a west coast chain) cut the number of checkout lines with cashiers and replaced them with self checkout lines. And if you shop during off hours you have no human checkout cashiers, just self checkout. If you're cutting costs by reducing your work force and making the customer do what your employees used to do, then at least cut your prices to match! I notice grocery prices are going up like crazy.

Same thing with Home Depot. Two manned checkout lines, four or five lines with self checkout.

Used to be a time when you could get full service at a gas station. Coolant, oil, battery levels checked, tire pressure checked, windows wiped. Now you do everything yourself. And there's a middle aged lady inside the store with no clue about anything automotive. My first job in high school was a gas station attendant, so I know how to do auto maintenance. Many people do not.

Phew. I feel so much better now. ;)

Merchants asking you to enter your phone number before ringing you up.
Yes, you ARE being tracked, and your data not only sold to the highest bidder, but to every bidder!

Same thing with Home Depot. Two manned checkout lines, four or five lines with self checkout.
Your Home Depot has that many! Wow, most times when I hit the local one on my way home there are several contractors waiting at the contractors station. (no you can’t use this line if your not a contractor and no one is waiting)
Everything else is self check out.
At least give us employee discounts!

A few months ago my local grocery store (part of a west coast chain) cut the number of checkout lines with cashiers and replaced them with self checkout lines. And if you shop during off hours you have no human checkout cashiers, just self checkout. If you're cutting costs by reducing your work force and making the customer do what your employees used to do, then at least cut your prices to match! I notice grocery prices are going up like crazy.

Did petrol prices drop once you had to pump your own? No.

When I get asked, "Do you want to use the self-checkout?" I reply, "No, I want people to have jobs."

Seriously, I'm prolly way more grumpy than I appear on this forum.

What next? "I'm sorry sir, but we don't take cash for your grocery payment."
Debit or credit cards only.
Ridiculous.
I went into a smoothie shop to buy something to drink while waiting for a store to close so we could start the inventory.

Sign outside said "We do not accept cash." That's all I had. Pointed out the print on the bills that said "Legal Tender for All Debts Both Public and Private" but they didn't care.

/smh

Your Home Depot has that many! Wow, most times when I hit the local one on my way home there are several contractors waiting at the contractors station. (no you can’t use this line if your not a contractor and no one is waiting)
Everything else is self check out.
At least give us employee discounts!
I check out at the contractor station very often, no one ever ask if I am a contractor, if they refuse to take your money walk out and go somewhere else. Too many people just let these companies force them in to compliance when we are the ones hauling money to their door every day. Let several people a day walk out due to this, or any of these other issues, and they will change quickly.

And while we are talking about retail stores some of you may enjoy this:

Last edited:
The latest update in Windows 10 killed my network printing. Microsoft "is aware" of the problem and will issue a patch "soon". I had to uninstall the update to get printing back. I'm seriously thinking of moving most everything to linux.

What gets me with these "skeletons" is that many of them are a hear or an arm (or two) jutting from the ground, yet no disturbed earth around the exit.. Like, they just pushed / grew like bamboo?!

(OK, that is reaching.. but a few in my neighborhood got me thinking. How do 'undead skeleton's get out of the ground?!)
Once you've got animate skeletons into your WSOD, pretty much anything goes right along.

WSOD?
West Side Outer Diameter?
Wally Sits on Doorstep?
Way Short On Drugs?
Windows OS have BSOD, (blue screen of death)
I am pretty sure it refers to Apple products and WSOD (white screen of death)
I think if I had an Apple product and my screen started showing dancing skeletons, I would be pretty quickly be wondering if it was the end.

Windows OS have BSOD, (blue screen of death)
I am pretty sure it refers to Apple products and WSOD (white screen of death)
I think if I had an Apple product and my screen started showing dancing skeletons, I would be pretty quickly be wondering if it was the end.
Willing Suspension of Disbelief.

Merchants asking you to enter your phone number before ringing you up.
Yes, you ARE being tracked, and your data not only sold to the highest bidder, but to every bidder!
I despise that sort of thing as well, but "No thank you" has worked every time I've been asked for a phone number.

Likewise, when the "greeter" at WallyWorld asks to see my receipt before I walk out the door, I keep walking, give a big smile and "No thank you". I've paid for my goods. Unless the store has some reason to think I've shoplifted---and with all those security cameras, evidence ought to be readily available---that's all they're getting. No quarrel, no escalation, not even harsh words, no violence nor attempt at it, just no-thank-you.

Best -- Terry

I do not own a "Smartphone" nor do I want one, but it is becoming more and more difficult to participate in society these days without one and I see the day coming, sooner rather than later, when it will be virtually impossible.

My favorite thread on here is the "Post a picture that makes you LOL".. My peeve? getting my daily email that says 27 new post yesterday, logging on for some morning entertainment and finding 20 of the 27 are comments...

My dentist office is in a shopping mall so I cut through Macy's on the way to an appointment this morning. Halloween is a week and a half away and this is what I found:
View attachment 486700
That tree is mine. Sorry everyone, I know I should have put it away in 84..... Wondered where it had gone.

Hey, I just thought of something.
Christmas is during the summer in Oz, right?
So no winter wonderland?

No. 🤠

40 degree C (104 F) plus days and some idiot cooking a turkey in the oven when you could just throw it on the roof for a few hours.

Also, Santa uses kangaroos Down Under...

The pharmacy that supplies my meds had me on auto refill, but I asked them to take all my meds off auto refill, I would call the prescriptions in as needed. Today I got a text message that my meds were ready for pick up. On auto refill.

Hey, I just thought of something.
Christmas is during the summer in Oz, right?
So no winter wonderland?
We have Christmas in July.(its a thing) You get snow in the mountains some times and the temperature drops to 25decC in the city...... At Christmas we eat a lot of prawns. Not much Turkey. It's hell. You wouldn't like it. Stay away........... :)

Washington state recently passed a law that you now have to pay for bags when checking out if you didn't bring your own ($.08 a bag). So, you have to check yourself out and pay for the privilege of bagging your purchases . What's next, parking meters in the parking lots?

When I go to the Pharmacy I use the drive thru. It makes me crazy when the person behind me cozies up to my back bumper. Why do they feel the need to get a couple of feet from the car in front of them. I'm not going faster because your practically in the car with me. It doesn't make the line shorter. So why? If I can't see the car in front of me rear tires I'm to close. If I had to move away from a threat and was so close to the car in front of me I can't escape then I'm to close.

Washington state recently passed a law that you now have to pay for bags when checking out if you didn't bring your own ($.08 a bag). So, you have to check yourself out and pay for the privilege of bagging your purchases . What's next, parking meters in the parking lots?
They took all the trees put 'em in a tree museum
And they charged the people a dollar an'a half just to see 'em
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got till it's gone
They paved paradise, put up a parking lot......

Way ahead of her time............ Maybe it's all Joni Mitchells fault. Bit like the Motorolla flip phone and Star Trek.....

we've been doing that for years. Our local mayor has pushed for it, and is even trying to get rid of plastic bags permanently (like, remove them form every facet of our lives)

They are needed on some occasions, and there are secondary uses for them (how many under teh sink trash bag holder now fit these bags?!)

I just wish she (teh mayor) would go after teh Styrofoam meat trays! they are truly an issue!

No problem with this - I’m just fine exchanging my labor in the form of currency for something I value (primarily for the convenience). Just like I’m ok with using my own, superior in function, fabric shopping bag in place of the typical built down to a price, lowest weight possible, shreds if you look at it wrong “free” plastic shopping bag. Which were never free to begin with - just another cost component on the store’s balance sheet, like rent, inventory costs, labor, utilities…

Same here, only it's 15 cents a bag at my grocery store. If you bring your own bags you have to bag the groceries yourself, as they are not allowed to touch your bag (covid restrictions). So I pay the 15 cents, let them bag it and toss the bags when I get home. Yeah, shame on me, not green, boo hoo.
People are not always going to act idealistically if it's too inconvenient. Reality check.
Soon a ban on styrofoam containers and plastic utensils may go into effect. Food industry is fighting it.

Back