Pet Peeves

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How true. And lots of Brazil nuts. Who eats those?
Also Pork and Beans with one sliver of pork fat in the can.
I like Brazil nuts, and the tiny amounts of barium and radium therein don't bother me at all. Seriously, the plants tend to accumulate barium, mostly in the roots and leaves, but it also shows up in the nuts. Like barium, radium is a Group IIa element; the two are chemically similar so the plant takes up both. Regardless, though the nuts contain much more radioactive material than most other foods, the amounts are still miniscule. (Bananas are also slightly radioactive, from potassium-40. A shipping container of bananas has been said to set off radiation detectors at shipping ports. Still...tiny amounts.)

If that radioactivity is of concern to you, best get rid of those Playboy/Penthouse/etc magazines you don't have stacked in a closet. ;) The kaolin clay used to make glossy paper contains tiny amounts of radioisotopes of lead, thorium, thallium, and a few others according to Oak Ridge Associated Universities.

Tobacco is the real offender. Radioactive lead and polonium accumulate on the undersides of leaves from natural uranium & thorium in the soil and in fertilizers, and they don't wash off. It's thought that radioactive elements in tobacco smoke contribute in part to tobacco's carcinogenic properties. That includes secondhand smoke.

Quiz on Friday. :)

Best -- Terry
PS on pork & beans: Definition of one trillion---the number of cans of Campbell's Pork & Beans that are equivalent to one pork chop (apologies to Johnny Carson/The Great Karnak) 😁

people who put their garbage / recycling / composts bins right it the middle of the sidewalk! so you have to step into the street (or trapes thru their flower beds)

People who park their cars and block or occlude other people's driveway so they either cannot bring their cars in or it's very difficult. Four feet clearance is the law here. Obey it or find your car in the tow yard.

A seasonal rant--Halloween skeleton decorations that include soft tissue. Looking at you, "skeleton dog with ears on..."
What gets me with these "skeletons" is that many of them are a hear or an arm (or two) jutting from the ground, yet no disturbed earth around the exit.. Like, they just pushed / grew like bamboo?!

(OK, that is reaching.. but a few in my neighborhood got me thinking. How do 'undead skeleton's get out of the ground?!)

Spotted Lantern Flies - another Chinese import/invasive species new to our area (Pa) in the past few years. I've been buzzed/landed on 3 times in past week - very annoying. If you try to step on one they hop quickly. We need a natural predator.

Okay, My big one:

NOOK-you- ler...

The word is spelled "NUCLEAR" people. It is (supposed to be) pronounced "NOOK-lee-er" (unless you're in Texas, in that case "NOOK-ler" is acceptable).

Last I checked, no part of an atom goes by the handle of "nuculous".

Of course "nucular" is so prevalent now that we'll never be rid of it, but it's like someone scratching a blackboard every time I hear it....

Athalete: He was the greatest ath-a-lete in history. There's no second A in Athlete
Killet: If we can't escape we're all going to be kill-t. Killed ends with a D.

Last edited:
Okay, My big one:

NOOK-you- ler...

The word is spelled "NUCLEAR" people. It is (supposed to be) pronounced "NOOK-lee-er" (unless you're in Texas, in that case "NOOK-ler" is acceptable).

Last I checked, no part of an atom goes by the handle of "nuculous".

Of course "nucular" is so prevalent now that we'll never be rid of it, but it's like someone scratching a blackboard every time I hear it....
Is that with a short OO (book) or a long OO (fool)? :headspinning:

Out here, there's a lot of people who call it Warshington. Definitely no R in the state name.

After listening carefully because the menu has changed and pressing 17 selections, one of which cuts you off causing you to start over: .... Hello, all representatives are currently assisting other customers, your call is very important to us, your call will be answered in the order it was received, your expected wait time is 2 days.

After listening carefully because the menu has changed and pressing 17 selections, one of which cuts you off causing you to start over: .... Hello, all representatives are currently assisting other customers, your call is very important to us, your call will be answered in the order it was received, your expected wait time is 2 days.

The one that gets me is as follows.....

All representatives are currently assisting other customers. Good-bye.

Creatures that become undead get a big strength bonus. They could probably shove the ground up if they weren't buried too deeply. </D&D nerd>
But, regardless of how much strength they have, should the ground show some disturbance?!

or do they do it really slowly, at the same rate grass grows?

All the puns and word plays they make on news programs when discussing stories. They are past the point of trying to inject humour into the service and just dumbing it down.
Really? When lately have you seen anything but entertainment on the "news"? The "media" became something less than presenters of the facts a long time ago IMHO.

People who use granny's handicap hanging-tag to park in restricted spaces. Or worse, they bring granny along, park in a handicap space, and leave her in the car because she can't get around all that well (she's handicapped, after all). :mad:

the 'Uber' & 'doordash' delivery drivers (and the general public) who park up against the curb at a mall / strip mall as they whip in to pick up, go to the ATM, wait for their partner, etc.. all because they can't be bothered to park & walk & wait.

it's a fire lane, no parking or stopping is allowed. And great, you dropped them off. go drive into the parking lot to get out of everyone's way!

Software companies who now "rent" you software (Adobe, looking at you!) Yes, you want me to upgrade, and you provide the upgrade. but I really don't use the new feature you upgraded, and the newer version / upgrade has now rendered my PC obsolete..

Software companies who now want you to work in their 'cloud', so they can better monitor your activities, and ensure you aren't using their software for unintended purposes..

I am amazed at how much "stuff" we no longer seem to own..

leasing cars
leasing software
leasing cell phones
subscriptions to games, software, phone plans, cable, etc..

Slowly getting back to the old days of "16 Tons"
"Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint peter don't you call me 'cause i can't go
I owe my soul to the company store"

the 'Uber' & 'doordash' delivery drivers (and the general public) who park up against the curb at a mall / strip mall as they whip in to pick up, go to the ATM, wait for their partner, etc.. all because they can't be bothered to park & walk & wait.

it's a fire lane, no parking or stopping is allowed. And great, you dropped them off. go drive into the parking lot to get out of everyone's way!
1. I hear you and
2. I agree but
3. Amazon drivers are a million times worst, at least in the neighborhoods I frequent. Holy smokes they are awful. Jeff, give them a bathroom break before they run over my kids.

I had a great bit of schadenfreude once years ago - out for a leisurely afternoon motorcycle ride (rather than going to my afternoon class - it was a beautiful fall day, what choice did I have? 😉), made a stop at a strip mall coffee shop, sitting at an outdoor cafe table and I see that some schmuck had parked in the fire lane in front of the restaurant katy corner from the coffee shop. Enjoying my coffee when I hear an alarm going off, people hurrying out of the restaurant, followed by smoke pouring out the door…so I sit and watch the proceedings - the first fire truck on the scene pulls up tight to the back of the scofflaw’s car and uses that massive steel front bumper of the truck to push the car out of the way! Screeching rubber followed by the snap of the transmission‘s “Park” lock pin snapping off. I was still smiling when I pulled out of the lot…

@6inchmonster & @Scott_650 :

What is with delivery drivers? they think they're special or something?! "I'm only gonna be here for a minute, maybe five (more like 5-10 waiting). but it just so happened to be the same 5 minutes that I, and about 4 others came by & had to maneuver around you..

I remember picking up some food at a local popular eatery. and this place is notoriously bad for 'fire lane parkers.. I park in the lot (and I'm baffled as to why the resto don't make the first 3 or 5 parking spaces "10 minutes only" - Oh yeah. People are stupid & will park there regardless) So, I'm outside waiting for my order, and I see a cop car come one way, then turn around, and start either 'demanding' people move' and hand-out the odd ticket to the about 6 other people illegally parked [no one in the car]. But some who were told to move, eventually came right back once the cops had left.. sad..

TV commercials that can wait for the next "holiday' to be over. (I saw my first Christmas commercial on TV last night... Grrr!!)

Can we get Halloween out of the way first? Then maybe show some resect for our fallen on Remembrance day (Canadian & UK day: Nov. 11th) then, you can put as much Christmas crap on the airways you want..

@6inchmonster & @Scott_650 :

What is with delivery drivers? they think they're special or something?! "I'm only gonna be here for a minute, maybe five (more like 5-10 waiting). but it just so happened to be the same 5 minutes that I, and about 4 others came by & had to maneuver around you..

I remember picking up some food at a local popular eatery. and this place is notoriously bad for 'fire lane parkers.. I park in the lot (and I'm baffled as to why the resto don't make the first 3 or 5 parking spaces "10 minutes only" - Oh yeah. People are stupid & will park there regardless) So, I'm outside waiting for my order, and I see a cop car come one way, then turn around, and start either 'demanding' people move' and hand-out the odd ticket to the about 6 other people illegally parked [no one in the car]. But some who were told to move, eventually came right back once the cops had left.. sad..
FWIW our local Fedex and UPS guys are still great, tho i am sure if the amazon drivers continue lowering the bar then the rest will follow.

TV commercials that can wait for the next "holiday' to be over. (I saw my first Christmas commercial on TV last night... Grrr!!)

Can we get Halloween out of the way first? Then maybe show some resect for our fallen on Remembrance day (Canadian & UK day: Nov. 11th) then, you can put as much Christmas crap on the airways you want..
My dentist office is in a shopping mall so I cut through Macy's on the way to an appointment this morning. Halloween is a week and a half away and this is what I found:
20211021_101732_HDR.jpg

Back