Pet Peeves

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wish she (teh mayor) would go after teh Styrofoam meat trays! they are truly an issue!
How about the manufactures that place tons of Styrofoam in the box as protection. Once you remove the product you have an empty box that can be recycled. The foam you are left breaking down and hiding in your normal trash because the garbage folks wont take it either.
(I have begun to notice that some are replacing the foam with a paper product. :clapping:)

How about the manufactures that place tons of Styrofoam in the box as protection. Once you remove the product you have an empty box that can be recycled. The foam you are left breaking down and hiding in your normal trash because the garbage folks wont take it either.
(I have begun to notice that some are replacing the foam with a paper product. :clapping:)
I keep my styrofoam peanuts and packing material and dissolve them in MEK. Makes a good cheap sanding sealer.

Bit like the Motorolla flip phone and Star Trek.....

That brings me to another one - Trek production staff (specifically Enterprise) claiming "we couldn't make communicators bigger than TOS's because we already have phones smaller than that"

DO MODERN PHONES FEATURE VOICE-ACTIVATED DIALING WITH INSTANTANEOUS CONNECTION TO SPACECRAFT IN HIGH ORBIT?!?!?!?!?

Blistering idiots..

My favorite thread on here is the "Post a picture that makes you LOL".. My peeve? getting my daily email that says 27 new post yesterday, logging on for some morning entertainment and finding 20 of the 27 are comments...
scpearson,
Noted...and I apologize. I will refrain from now on...as best I can.

It appears most people's pet peeves involve drivers. Mine driving pet peeves are people who drive so close they might as well be pushing you when there is a perfectly good and clear passing lane and people (often the same as the tailgaters) who don't pull over for stopped or emergency vehicles on the side of the road. I've jumped the jersey walls a few times to get away from people who got close enough for me to touch their mirror.

Also: the poseur / bro country hip hop southern rock blend that's popular.
Agreed. Start with the Allman Brothers or Molly Hatchet and go from there for southern rock.

There are popular changes to English grammar that really piss me off. I am a tad pedantic but I have never been accused of being a grammar nazi. My rant begins with "Everyday". I have seen it in commercials, mail promotions, even on billboards. I have seen it on coffee cups!I have had to explain it to several people who are in their 20's, one of them quite assertively.

Everyday is an adjective. The word indicates daily, routine, or ordinary things. An adjective must be followed by a noun. Every day, before I leave the house, I put on my everyday shoes. "Every day" is an adjective followed by a noun. "Everyday shoes" is an adjective followed by a noun. "Best deals in town, everyday" does not make sense. "Best everyday deals in town" does.

I have accepted the transformation of "Sooner rather than later" to "Sooner than later". It is charming and concise, even a little ironic. A warm embrace. I am stumbling with the use of "barely". It seems it is now used to mean "only just (now)" as opposed to "almost didn't". I suppose Shakespeare would not object.

I have both heard and read "tons" of people using the word "tons" as a quantitative adverb like "lots". I have heard this in science, political, and news programs for a while now. In my head, I ask "tons, huh? Metric, imperial, or short tons?" And are we measuring cars, people, or people in their cars? Sigh.

Oh, and what happened to the word "fewer"? Unless you are measuring by the ton "There are less people in New Hampshire than there were ten years ago" is not grammatically correct. There are fewer people. More is the opposite of less water flooding the street. More is also the opposite of fewer — things we customarily enumerate; like people, trees, buffalo, etc.

The loss of the personal pronoun hurts the most. I have even witnessed this on BBC America. People who observe the speed limit help keep us all safe. "There are a growing number of people that ignore speed limit" is wrong. If it does not seem wrong to you then I don't know what to say. "Many of the people that I asked..." could care less. I lament this as a loss of English literacy. When British English speakers vandalize the personal pronoun I find it appalling.

Then there are the dimensions of words like "Awesome". Awesome, to quote Neil DeGrasse Tyson, was the Apollo Moon Landing Program. The new leggings at Old Navy are not awesome.
I was helping my youngest with his English homework recently. The assignment used the numbers "1", "3", and "2" in the sentences as opposed to "one", "three", and "two". The assignment was to answer the questions, not to correct them. But wait, there's more. One of the sentences reads "...[he] attend school way from home." The sentence should have used "attended" and "away". The problem is that we've moved away from standardized books and now rely on the internet for standardization. How? Students no longer have books. Instead when my son (for English and math) and my daughter (for math) asked for help they were instructed by their teachers to look it up on the internet. This is extremely frustrating for parents who would like a definitive, authoritative answer. It doesn't exist anymore. I've seen where my son has searched for and found wrong answers to the math questions.
Perhaps I'm wrong. As our Governor has mentioned, parents should not have a say in what our schools teach.

There are so many, but I'll focus on the most recent.
This is so minor but soooooo irritating.
There was a recent change in the packaging for a case of soda water.
Instead of a wide perforated opening that you tear away for access, it was replaced with a circular hole that you tear away. Makes it more difficult to fish out the cans. If you make a change it should be for the better not worse. I just tore open the top. 🎃

1027210949[1].jpg1027210950[1].jpg

Last edited:
A seasonal rant--Halloween skeleton decorations that include soft tissue. Looking at you, "skeleton dog with ears on..."
Well, that's what I get for complaining...

There's an abandoned house* down the street that's about to be demolished. Some joker found an opossum skeleton and hung it on the front walk railing. Eeeegh.

276E4A0E-453E-499D-8952-198EC73B5FC2.jpeg

*How a house stays abandoned for years when the lot is easily worth $600-700K, I can't imagine. They'll put up a place that will sell for $1.8-2M, but that's a peeve for another time.

How a house stays abandoned for years when the lot is easily worth $600-700K, I can't imagine. They'll put up a place that will sell for $1.8-2M, but that's a peeve for another time.

All kinds of oddball stuff can keep a property in limbo for years - multiple liens, unpaid taxes, inheritance conflicts, environmental remediation costs - though it is puzzling when a property with potential for big profits just sits there and rots.

Some are replacing with "airbag/pillows"

Some are replacing with "airbag/pillows"
Still made of plastic, not green.
Getting harder to find the styrofoam peanuts, Newer peanuts are being made from soy.
Organic, biodegradable.
But you can't dissolve them in MEK and make sanding sealer.
Rats!

Rocketeers who are rude and not welcoming to new fliers. It is tough to always be chipper, but at least be nice.
When I went to my club's monthly launch the first time, I thought the LCO/RSO was a bit gruff on the PA and I'm a little touchy about such things. But after attending several more, I realized just how intense the job can be. Honestly, if I were in his shoes I'd be way worse. "If I have to tell one more person to stay behind the flight line, I'm shutting the whole thing down! YA GOT THAT, MAGGOTS?!?!"

Love ya, Tom! Thanks for all you do!

When I went to my club's monthly launch the first time, I thought the LCO/RSO was a bit gruff on the PA and I'm a little touchy about such things. But after attending several more, I realized just how intense the job can be. Honestly, if I were in his shoes I'd be way worse. "If I have to tell one more person to stay behind the flight line, I'm shutting the whole thing down! YA GOT THAT, MAGGOTS?!?!"

Love ya, Tom! Thanks for all you do!

It is a tough job. I am not always successful, but I try to be civil. I am a bit flat in general, but I try to be less grumpy with newbies.

The corruption of mathematical language. For example a frequent TV commercial states that their product uses ten times less, 10X less, make up, as shown in their exaggerated illustration, when they should state that their product uses one tenth, or 10 percent as much as their exaggerated alternative. No wonder kids today have such trouble with math word problems.

The corruption of mathematical language. For example a frequent TV commercial states that their product uses ten times less, 10X less, make up, as shown in their exaggerated illustration, when they should state that their product uses one tenth, or 10 percent as much as their exaggerated alternative. No wonder kids today have such trouble with math word problems.

It goes well beyond mathematical language. I'm thinking of a commercial for a cooking product that can heat up in less than 1 seconds. A singular unit of measurement referred to in the plural? One has to scratch ones head in wonder that absolutely no one in the entire process of putting it on the air didn't think...."whoa, that's not right."

Rocketeers who are rude and not welcoming to new fliers. It is tough to always be chipper, but at least be nice.
This is absolutely imperative for ALL rocketeers for the longevity of the hobby. We turn people away through gruffness, elitist condescension, or simple dismissal. We bring people to the hobby, or at least leave a favorable impression, when we greet new comers warmly and share our enthusiasm for the hobby.
Clearly we need to pay attention to our pre-launch routines for safety but after we recover our rockets why not spend a few minutes chatting with new comers about rocketry? I always bring a few LPR rockets and engage with parent spectators who have taken enough time to bring their child(ren) (aka potential future STEM professionals) all the way out to the launch. The least we can do is make them feel welcome. If they show interest, I offer them the use of a LPR and a motor that they can load and fly with their child(ren). For those that mention that they look forward to coming back I provide them a LPR kit that they can build with their kid(s). Another TRF member that knows I do this has even thrown in a couple of LPR kits for me to distribute.
And yes, gruff, condescending, dismissive people are on my pet peeve list. Thankfully I haven't found any of those at our rocketry club (TCV#25).

Our last launch was our 3 day Octoberfest. I brought along some BMS School Rockets. A family stopped by my shelter and we were talking rockets. I asked the kids if they had built rockets. The said yes. So they each got a kit. I gave one away at the September launch as well. I have some more kits. When I have given those away I'll get more. Gives me a good feeling. Maybe one of the kids I give a rocket to will go on to do something big.

Well, that's what I get for complaining...

There's an abandoned house* down the street that's about to be demolished. Some joker found an opossum skeleton and hung it on the front walk railing. Eeeegh.

View attachment 488313

*How a house stays abandoned for years when the lot is easily worth $600-700K, I can't imagine. They'll put up a place that will sell for $1.8-2M, but that's a peeve for another time.
There are numerous reasons a house stays abandoned for years. The main one is the owner is in a care facility and his/her family cannot sell it due to no trust or specified family member as conservator If their health/mental state fails And their name is on the title. If the person has dementia or other problems that house could sit vacant for a while As it takes a lot of time to go through the courts for this. Get a trust or select an executor so this does not happen….this would be the probable reason would be my guess as it happens a lot.

List yours here.
Mine today is:
The worst POS criminals at PayPal pulled another one of their standard corporate operating moves and said that it takes 5 days for money to be transferred from your bank into to the PayPal account, so my money was supposed to be showing up on Friday, today so they claim that it was transferred at 3:39 in the afternoon and guess what time it goes in for my PayPal account? 11:59 tonight , talk about a crock of absolute horseshit. Just so they could keep MY money in their bank account and draw interest, they lied to me. my money was actually not put into my account on Friday if you want to get picky about the 59 second difference, it's still typical greedy ,selfish, capitalism that drives every bit of this type of activity. and all of the sheeple were just supposed to blindly and mindlessly go along with every bit of this control that they have. I sure hope I live long enough to see another company come in and put PayPal out of business that's my dream come true.

people who print out a document.. and don't bother to 'look at' it.. And have one word, a partial / complete sentence on one / last page.. especially when sections / page breaks are used, and the previous page has about 2" of blank space at the bottom..

is formatting a document (Word) for readability / paper usage really that hard?

Back