Pet mistakes?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pouring out one component of Epoxy, then doing something else (answer phone, go to bathroom, check email, put kettle on for a brew) before pouring out the second part, only to find out that you've forgotten which part you poured first.

Do you a) discard and try again, or b) take a guess, and know if you guessed right when the poxy starts going off?

I almost always forget my ignitors or screwdriver on my range table. It got kind of annoying so now I tape them to the rocket while I'm prepping it. I've also been known to forget rail guides on occaision.

My mistakes mainly involve something in the BT where the glue grabs just as I am realizing my mistake. Happened again the other day, I am building the Estes Bullpup and as I am putting together the engine mount, I push the engine block in the wrong way and as a result, it's totally in the wrong position, Duh! Well, I pushed and pushed and finally got it right, but man did I kick myself! I never realized how quick the white glue grabs!

Glenn

Mine now seems to be with motor mounts that are clustered or have the engine hook. I like them to be symmetrical with the fins, you know so that when you look at the end, the hook is between 2 fins, or the mounts are lined up with or between the fins.
But lately I don't pay any attention to that and end up with a hook right under a fin, or something like that.
The worst is a Fat Boy I'm working on with a 7x18mm cluster.
You know the BT has fin slots. Well I just threw the motor mount in not paying attention to the slots and now the fins are going to go in at a wierd angle, not hitting dead on a motor tube and not hitting dead in between 2 motor tubes. :rolleyes:
Hopefully I can keep them straight.

My other is definately dropping the exacto knife. I do most of my work standing up (back problems), so when I drop it I have to try my best NOT to catch it with my feet. :)

Tim

I'm another one who sometimes sprays too close or too much. Then the dribbles form and I know it's time to get sanding again...

Igniters are the last thing I put into the rocket just before it's about to go to the pad, so I don't forget them. But I did have one occasion to realise that the rocket works better if there's a motor in there. :D

I've also had trouble with glue grabbing unexpectedly. I was pushing the engine block into one motor mount, using an empty motor casing to get it into place. The glue, which wasn't quite far enough up the tube, suddenly grabbed, and there was my mount with an empty case permanently mounted.

If I'm using poly-cement on plastic bits (eg an Estes E2X kit), I ALWAYS manage to get a glue fingerprint somewhere on the plastic.

A few times, now, I've spray painted a nosecone; only to realise I haddn't masked off the shoulder.

Also, I'm good at starting with a perfectly good round nosecone; and in an attempt to sand it smooth, I sand so many flat faces into it, it looks like Kryton's (Red Dwarf) head. :D

Gluing my fingers together with CA - usually in the field when I make repairs...:rolleyes:

Jack

Originally posted by andysrockets
Pouring out one component of Epoxy, then doing something else (answer phone, go to bathroom, check email, put kettle on for a brew) before pouring out the second part, only to find out that you've forgotten which part you poured first.

Do you a) discard and try again, or b) take a guess, and know if you guessed right when the poxy starts going off?

Use something that's more than 1 color like US composites or something. Yellow and clear.

Originally posted by mojack82
Gluing my fingers together with CA - usually in the field when I make repairs...:rolleyes:

Jack

reminds me of my worst ever experience regarding CA...

We used to use it to fasten ECO wires to PC boards in manufacturing (thin 30 AWG wires that were used to make corrections on a circuit board). It got to be frustrating cuz the tips would always clog up. This one girl figured out a solution...

She would remove the cap and pour some out into a small cup and use a toothpick to "pick up" a drop to place on the board with a wire. This worked great until she sneezed one day...

A wave of CA blew into her face. Instinctively she shut her eyes (fortunately) and inhaled sharply (unfortunately)... Her eyes and mouth were instantly glued shut and with the sharp inhale, so were her nostrals.

It was a real panic. I was the first one to her and used an awl to pry open her nostrals so that she could breath until the EMT's showed up to get her to a hospital.

man!

A wave of CA blew into her face.

See! That won't happen with Elmer's!

You'll just need to go get something to drink to get the sour milk tase out of your mouth!

Two big mistakes I've made recently-

Gluing the thrust ring into the motor tube, I got distracted by a cat - and left the dummy motor casing in the motor tube. Scratch one motor mount...

and

My daughter, being a good do-bee, cleaned up the back of the station wagon during one launch session. Well, she placed a group of expended motors neatly into the range box. I then came along and loaded up a Midnight Express with one of these previously-burned motors. Fortunately I noticed when inserting an ignitor, and not when it was on the pad...

Dan: I'm with ya Bud!!!
I can't tell how many models I've completed, painted, detailed. preped and gotten to the pad only to discover NO Dang Launch Lugs! It's gotten so common the Wife now asks..Hon.. does this one need Lugs?? Duh! smacking my bald head:D

Another not quite as frequent is forgetting to tie on the nosecone, especially during test flight boiler plate models.

Back