Pesticides...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CzTeacherMan

Reaction score
Went looking for some rockets today. Walked through some fields that has recently been sprayed with pesticides. Didn't know it tool the very kind farmer handed me my rocket and advised me to scrub well when I showered tonight (which I did). Didn't think too much of it until my son started getting sick tonight. He's either sick from too much sun, too many hot dogs, pollen allergy, or is suffering a reaction to the pesticides. ...
Anyone have any experience with such things? My son is doing much better after a shower, allergy medicine, and lots of water. But still... even if he's okay, this might be fair warning to other recovering rocketeers.

Yeah, you really have to get the info and M.S.D.S. if you are going to encounter stuff like that.
I use Permetherin around the house, but do it safely because I am familiar with it for the Army, where we dipped out DCUs in it and sprayed our hovels down with it every so often, but let it dry before being around it or wearing it.
I also have to use things like Frontline Plus on my Cats and Parastar on my Dog, so I encounter them often enough to read the instructions thoroughly, and even the animals they are intended for can have reactions to them.
Call your local Poison Control Hotline immediately.
They can give you better guidance that we can, and likely have access or atleast should have access to what is being used in any general area.

1-800-222-1222

https://illinoispoisoncenter.org/Contact_Us

Last edited:
Hear hoofs think horses not zebras. I'd go with the sun and hot dog before I'd consider pesticides.

Eric, you ended up in the cornfield to the south of the runway?

I hope your son is feeling better. If not, and it not obviously allergies I would be tempted to call a Doc or poison control.

Eric, you ended up in the cornfield to the south of the runway?

I hope your son is feeling better. If not, and it not obviously allergies I would be tempted to call a Doc or poison control.

Yes, both of them.
But the one that was sprayed was just south of the corn. Almost at the next road over, next to the nursery.
He's doing much better this morning. We've got a couple "Prompt Care" places in town that I would've taken him to if he didn't respond to the allergy medicine, etc.

Erik,,
Top's right..
See if you can find out the correct name of the agent that was sprayed
and get a MSDS sheet on that chemical...
You reading that sheet is where you start....
No need to speculate any further until you read that sheet...

Teddy

Hear hoofs think horses not zebras. I'd go with the sun and hot dog before I'd consider pesticides.

True in general, but when the farmer advised him that insecticide had been recently been applied to that field and that he needed to make sure he showered, it certainly needs to have significant consideration.

They are not call MSDS anymore. Global Harmonazation has led to a new name SDS. Safety data Sheets. Most companies have upgraded to the new names, so old MSDS might have changed. Best to use the most recent= SDS.

Mike

They are not call MSDS anymore. Global Harmonazation has led to a new name SDS. Safety data Sheets. Most companies have upgraded to the new names, so old MSDS might have changed. Best to use the most recent= SDS.

Mike

If someone can't figure out MSDS == SDS, they probably shouldn't be using the things therein described.

:mad:

Mike

That's stupid. What was the point?
$%^& the rest of the Globe.
They don't like us anyhow, and trying to become as crappy as them is not going to make them like us.:mad:

Lot's of things can have "Safety Data Sheets". I'll bet a search for just plain "Safety Data Sheets" yields a lot of irrelevant data, as even something like a Hammer could have a "SDS" that only says "Wear Goggles". Everything in the world probably has an Idiot's Guide in some form, but MSDS generally is not required to be written for things that don't present general exposure hazards.
Trash bags for example, a "Safety Data Sheet" for them would reveal to keep them away from babies, as they have a choking/suffocation risk, but would not yield results about the type of "Material" they are made of, and what it does when heated or comes into contact with other materials.

What a load of " ".

Last edited:
I know corn can have nasty affects when in full pollen. At one launch, with tall corn - maybe Danville? My brother and I were fine. Another guy broke out in hives, had breathing issues, and a nervous reaction. There was yellow dust everywhere from the pollen. Little corn stocks may not pose a threat (these were 7' tall or so).

I disagree with calling poison control. You have no idea what you might have been exposed to. Calling and saying that you were exposed to some unknown pesticide will get you a response of "which one?" because there are many different ones. Then you will get a very generic instruction (wash thoroughly, call doctor if symptomatic) If that is truly your concern you need to go back and find out what he was spraying. Then call and you will get amazingly specific advice. Otherwise it's like someone posting advice about glue without telling us if it's epoxy, ca, white, carpenters or gorilla. They can only help if you know what you've been exposed to - or at least what class.

Hey, I made this a glue thread! :>

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back