Personal Web Sites

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think about the RSS feeds section?

• Kill it!

• Keep it.

• Keep it with modifications.

• Kill it!

• Keep it.

• Keep it with modifications.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
As I begin to put my own web site up I was wondering what those of you who have sites use to create and manage content.

Well, I was going to respond with "vi rules!", but I didn't want to
start a geek war. So allow me to summarize the thread so we can
get it out of our systems quickly...

FrontPage!?!?! Dreamweaver?!??!

Bah! Everyone knows notepad is the best for pure HTML
editing!

Notepad ??!?!

Bah! You Windows weenie, everyone knows the Internet was
invented by Unix geeks. You must use emacs!

emacs??!?!

Bah! You newbie! Why in my day, the only one true way to create
content was to cat from the console!

You had a CONSOLE???!?!?!?!?

Why, back when Al Gore was just teaching Tim Berners-Lee
how to spell HTTP, we had to use magnets to rearrange the
bits on the disk!!! And we we dang happy to have 'em!

:) :) :)

BTW- vi rules!

OMG Brian, what did you do, read my life story??? ;) Go back, before VI...yes, there was another young padawon...

Back, back to that place that jesuit's fear, and you will see me staring back at you...

Ok, now that that totally ruined two good lines from great movies, I started using dos text editor back in the late 80's early 90's, then followed a program called HTMLed, which was actually windowed. These days, I just use Notepad like everybody else...you all do use Notepad, right? :p

Carl

OK, crank up the way back machine ... I was using unix before Bill Joy wrote vi. vi wasn't any good back then either.

standard jokes:

vi - an editor in search of a good operating system.
emacs - an operating system in search of a good editor.

emacs stands for Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping.

No, wait, emacs stands for Escape-Meta-Alt-Control-Shift.

ba-dum-psssshhhh!

I generally use Frontpage to rough out a page design, Notepad to clean out all the crap that Frontpage inserts, and pico (a unix text editor) to tweak it once it's on the server.

I was using Hot Metal Pro, until my Windoze partition's boot sector Cato-ed, the other week. Now I'm using good old emacs/'nix :D - its what I cut my C-programming teeth on. I've never got on with vi - I tried using it once, when emacs wasn't working, and didn't get on with it at all.

Well, I don't code much, but when I do, I use XCode. Of course, I'm running OS X 10.3.4 Panther, sooooo...

XCode

Originally posted by CTulanko
These days, I just use Notepad like everybody else...you all do use Notepad, right? :p

Well...kinda...but not exactly. Check out TextPad. It's a shareware app for Win 9x/2k/XP that's NotePad on steroids. Macros, spell check, handle multiple files simultaneously...it's all that and the kitchen sink. I wouldn't want to use anything else (on a M$ OS anyway).

However, I do have a good friend that runs Vim under M$. Glutton for punishment I tell ya! :p

I was learning and building with HTML a few years ago, but I just do not have time to do that these days....

I now use Tripod Build. It is free, an built into the tripod/lycos webhosting package. I guess I am just lazy....

Fred

I've just started learning Dreamweaver, as I'm now designated WebMonkey for the company. Figure a personal site will be a good way to learn, right?

And yes, I'm one of those right-brained touchy-feely designer types. Hack code?? That's what the computer's supposed to do! You never saw Captain Kirk hack code, did you?...

Originally posted by graylensman
You never saw Captain Kirk hack code, did you?...
That was Spock's job - Kirk's job was to "Get the girl, kill the baddies; and save the entire planet" ;)

There have been times I've had a locked keyboard, and had to cut and paste individual letters from other places on the screen into an xterm to run commands to unlock the keyboard. Try composing HTML *that* way!

Otherwise, emacs in text mode is my HTML editor. Beed doing it that way since Mozaic and HTML 0.9. Been writing HTML pretty much since it first came out.

At home, I use Notepad for HTML editing. At work, we use Visual Interdev and Visual Basic for our asp application.

Loopy

vi? notepad?

weenies...

"copy con: index.html"

...etc.

Anyone who looks at my site can tell I don't use any newfangled HTML editor. Wordpad for me. Unfortunately I've forgotten most of the HTML I taught myself. Cutting and pasting is a bitch.

Actually Word works pretty well for most things, however reading the HTML Output is all but impossible with all the crapola it puts in.

Originally posted by cydermaster
That was Spock's job - Kirk's job was to "Get the girl, kill the baddies; and save the entire planet" ;)

Silly me - Kirk's job was to <i>destroy</i> the computer with streams of illogic and a well-aimed phaser blast.

And I call myself a Trekkie. I hand over my rubber pointed ears with shame and slink back into my parents' basement.

Speaking of HTML,

How are you guys putting links into your signatures?

I tried embedding the URL to my homepage, with and without href tags, and well, you can see the result.

Is there a secret handshake or something?

Originally posted by vjp
Speaking of HTML,

How are you guys putting links into your signatures?

I dunno, but why put your url in your sig when there's already a button labelled www underneath every post you make?

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
I dunno, but why put your url in your sig when there's already a button labelled www underneath every post you make?
"Because!"

For a new site, I generally put it together using FrontPage but do pretty extensive hacking in FP's "HTML mode" to get just the right look.

After awhile, I'll generally move details about the site's formatting styles into a CSS page and then do more work in just raw HTML.

-- Jim

P.S., I do web development for a living.
Plug ==> If your looking for a great, easy-to-use web application platform for your business check out: https://www.quickbase.com

We used FrontPage for rocketguts.com, only because it's as simple as Word though.

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
LOL. Anyway, don't you just use www.northstarrocketry.org.uk ? i.e. "open square bracket" url "close square bracket" link "open square bracket" "forward slash" url "close square bracket"

Hot Diggity! That'll learn me to "RTFM"!

Thanks!

URL
Universal Resource Locator.....actaully we wouldn't be "here" without it.. lol :D (kidding)

I use Html...Java... And for putting in the nice little graphics and such I use Macromedia Fireworks.

I have an abundance of graphics programs too. :eek:

I just use a text editor. If I'm on a Unix or Linux box, I use vi. If I'm on
a mac, I use Textedit... and I don't do windows.

Originally posted by brianc
Well, I was going to respond with "vi rules!", but I didn't want to
start a geek war. So allow me to summarize the thread so we can
get it out of our systems quickly...

Bah! Everyone knows notepad is the best for pure HTML
editing!

Notepad ??!?!

Bah! You Windows weenie, everyone knows the Internet was
invented by Unix geeks. You must use emacs!

emacs??!?!

Bah! You newbie! Why in my day, the only one true way to create
content was to cat from the console!

You had a CONSOLE???!?!?!?!?

Why, back when Al Gore was just teaching Tim Berners-Lee
how to spell HTTP, we had to use magnets to rearrange the
bits on the disk!!! And we we dang happy to have 'em!

:) :) :)

BTW- vi rules!

Me long time hacker. Me bang rocks. Bang two magnetite rocks. Bang along north/south line, rocks get magnetic, am one. Bang rocks east/west, rocks not get magnetic, am zero.

Nice system. No run out of storage. Always more rocks. Access time a problem though. Long walk to end of line.

Back