Quantcast

Personal thread page?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Nick@JET

Reaction score
I think a section where people can have a personal page to post would be neat where I can follow what a person is working on / doing in rocketry, what do you think. Not narcissistic, just would like to just click on "Jim Jarvis Page" for example and see what he is posting .

Would TRF be willing to create this section and would TRFers be interested?

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
It seems a bit niche, to be honest. Might be cool though.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
I seriously doubt the admins would go for that. However, you can search for a user, go to that user's Profile, and see that user's posts.

Nick@JET

Reaction score
I seriously doubt the admins would go for that. However, you can search for a user, go to that user's Profile, and see that user's posts.
True but too clunky - especially on the phone app

TangoJuliet

Reaction score
RCGroups has this. It's set up as a users personal Blog.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
We are discussing it and how to implement something here. So, it's getting to be a stronger possibility.

SpaceManMat

Space Nut
Reaction score
Probably just a short cut that lists out threads started by them and ordered by the most recent entry they made.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Question about this subforum for a particular member.

We've been discussing the finer points of how it would work. At this time we are seriously considering adding this as a feature to the Supporting Members. If you are a Supporting Member and want one, you could have it in a section for these. This would be available to current and future Supporting members, but it would have to be asked for.

One question: We are talking of the subforum person being the only one to start a thread, but should other members (any classification) be able to make replies, or should it be only postings of the person that is the "owner" of that subforum?

Your input is requested.

TangoJuliet

Reaction score
Replies should be allowed, IMO. I don't see the Personal Blogs really taking off like a General Thread does. Seriously, check out the Blogs on RCGroups as a good indicator of how to proceed.

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Replies should be allowed, but the "owner" should be able to remove, or redirect some comments. There are posts that sometimes are way off topic, that appear in some threads, and I'm sure the OP would love to crop out, or move to a separate area.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Replies should be allowed, IMO. I don't see the Personal Blogs really taking off like a General Thread does. Seriously, check out the Blogs on RCGroups as a good indicator of how to proceed.

They are using a blog, and in our experience with this s/w blogs become very spam filled. But I will take a look and see what I can learn that might apply.

Other people, how about more input. Even if you think this is a good or bad idea. If only a few, it may or may not be worth a new section.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
It seems Incongruent basically did this with his thread. I didn't look at any other forums, but it seems like you could just open a forum and as people started threads they could just be pinned. As for me, I would probably open one if the option was made available but likely wouldn't use it much. I can see one downside. Say people started putting all their build there, I likely would miss a bunch. And if I was following a build on a blog page and had to wade through a bunch of unrelated fluff, would also probably loose interest.

YMMV

neil_w

Marginally Stable
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Question about this subforum for a particular member.

We've been discussing the finer points of how it would work. At this time we are seriously considering adding this as a feature to the Supporting Members. If you are a Supporting Member and want one, you could have it in a section for these. This would be available to current and future Supporting members, but it would have to be asked for.

One question: We are talking of the subforum person being the only one to start a thread, but should other members (any classification) be able to make replies, or should it be only postings of the person that is the "owner" of that subforum?

Your input is requested.
I'm not sure I entirely understand what you're proposing. Is this actually a subforum with a person's name? Would it appear the same as any other subforum? If so I'm not sure if that really serves the function of a personal page or blog. I say this because a blog focuses on the content created by the owner, whereas a forum listing sort of throws everything into a bit pile, even if all the threads are started by the same person. Can you elaborate a little on what you're considering?

But either way, I would say that:
1) Indeed, only the "owner" should be able to create a new thread, much like a blog owner is the only one who can create new entries on a blog. Nothing else would make sense here.
2) In an ideal world, the owner should be able to choose whether to allow comments. Sometimes the discussion in a thread can drown out the original intended content. This is part of the problem with a forum thread-based approach in general.

In any case I am happy that new features like this are being considered!

woferry

Reaction score
Having a true subforum per-person sounds like a lot of clutter to me (assuming they would all show up when clicking on New Posts or doing the equivalent in the app) , even if it's only the Supporting members that opt-in who get one. And a forum post really isn't the same as a blog-style post like RCGroups has, which really seems more like the way to go. A blog post focuses on the original post, and all "replies" to that post become "comments" that only appear when you click on a button to view them. But it also provides easy aggregating pages where you can see (1) all blog posts (by everybody) in time order, as well as (2) any individual user's posts, all in time order. This is very different than how this forum works (where presumably there'd be no way to see all users at once in time order of original posts, or even any way to see just the first post to each "subforum" all on one page, and order is generally by the last post to any given thread). Even if the proper blog-style top-level pages are set up, limiting it to Supporting members still seems like a reasonable idea to me, and might finally be the thing to push me over the edge on signing up. :)

One remark I'd make either way, I'd say it would be ideal if the blog page 'owner' could moderate their own post's comments/replies (at least have the power to delete), to allow them to remove anything that does get too off-topic, etc., up to deleting an entire blog post should they wish. I typed this before realizing that this seems to be how RCGroups works, I clicked into a post's comments and saw a banner at the top indicating that the user's thread is privately moderated. One thing RCGroups doesn't do that I would have expected in comments is allow for better threading within the posts's comments (i.e. replies to a comment are grouped under that comment in a hierarchical fashion, more like Slashdot post replies for example, not just in time order like a typical forum thread), but it looks like the blog there really is just a feature of the forum software itself, so the blog comments appear to work exactly like a regular forum post replies do.

mpitfield

Staff member
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Supporting member here,

I have no problem going into any members personal page and seeing their posts. If anything the members post activity history should go back further on the members page that would handle this just as nicely. Personal threads will simply become another look at me me me narcissistic Face Book/Twitter idea, which the world could use a lot less of.

Nick@JET

Reaction score
Supporting member here,

I have no problem going into any members personal page and seeing their posts. If anything the members post activity history should go back further on the members page that would handle this just as nicely. Personal threads will simply become another look at me me me narcissistic Face Book/Twitter idea, which the world could use a lot less of.
It may turn into that - but certainly not my intention behind my suggestion. Even some build threads could be considered " look at me". You can't control that but like your post, I enjoy reading your posts and what you put into your Rockets and that was my intention.

Actually I would admit that "would I really post a Nick Adams thread" could be construed as arrogant and I'd feel a little goofy to start with. Just like to see what rocket friends are working on, flying etc since I can't get to launches enough I could enjoy our hobby , creepily and vicariously through yalls posts :).

mpitfield

Staff member
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
It may turn into that - but certainly not my intention behind my suggestion. Even some build threads could be considered " look at me". You can't control that but like your post, I enjoy reading your posts and what you put into your Rockets and that was my intention.

Actually I would admit that "would I really post a Nick Adams thread" could be construed as arrogant and I'd feel a little goofy to start with. Just like to see what rocket friends are working on, flying etc since I can't get to launches enough I could enjoy our hobby , creepily and vicariously through yalls posts :).
No Nick, I certainly was not taking a personal shot at you. I was trying to make a comment to what I believe some of the personal posts would evolve into. And I agree I very much enjoy reading build threads and following along as well.

neil_w

Marginally Stable
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Again, I think that this could possibly be a nice feature. The problem with just looking at an individual's recent posting history in their profile is that it includes everything, and therefore in many cases a bunch of chit chat (such as postings in this thread) that aren't really what you'd want to draw attention to.

Here's one idea for a really *simple* implementation. I don't know if it would actually work well or not, since I've spent a total about 30 seconds thinking about it, but: an enabled user could tag regular forum postings so that they'd appear in the personal page (e.g.: new checkbox labeled "post to blog"). Then the personal page would simply be a blog-like, reverse chronological display of those postings, with links to the original posts, so the user could comment in the original thread if desired.

In this way, there would be no separation of content between the forums and the personal pages, just the ability for the user to identify existing content they would like to appear on the personal page.

I don't know if this would provide the functionality that folks want, but it sure would be simple. Just a thought.

BDB

Absent Minded Professor
Reaction score
Again, I think that this could possibly be a nice feature. The problem with just looking at an individual's recent posting history in their profile is that it includes everything, and therefore in many cases a bunch of chit chat (such as postings in this thread) that aren't really what you'd want to draw attention to.

Here's one idea for a really *simple* implementation. I don't know if it would actually work well or not, since I've spent a total about 30 seconds thinking about it, but: an enabled user could tag regular forum postings so that they'd appear in the personal page (e.g.: new checkbox labeled "post to blog"). Then the personal page would simply be a blog-like, reverse chronological display of those postings, with links to the original posts, so the user could comment in the original thread if desired.

In this way, there would be no separation of content between the forums and the personal pages, just the ability for the user to identify existing content they would like to appear on the personal page.

I don't know if this would provide the functionality that folks want, but it sure would be simple. Just a thought.
It sounds to me like you are proposing a TRF Pinterest board. It could be located on your profile, maybe linked to your signature. That could be interesting.

neil_w

Marginally Stable
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you are proposing a TRF Pinterest board. It could be located on your profile, maybe linked to your signature. That could be interesting.
Maybe, but I've never used Pinterest so I dunno. :)

I figure it's at minimum be in your profile, but there are many possible ways to provide access to it.

The big question is if people would use it, both users "publishing" posts and readers finding the content.

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I think providing personal thread space to people based on number of subscribers makes sense. Other forums I frequent do something similar once a user has published a number of projects.