Personal launches on BLM land?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckeye

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
OK Westerners, answer me this. I travel to western states for fishing and backpacking. Wide open BLM land abounds. My understanding is that BLM land belongs to all the people for recreation, conservation, and exploitation. Can I drive into the middle of BLM nowhere and set up my own personal HPR launch, provided of course that I adhere to FAR, fire, and rocketry safety code rules? Does a BLM official need to grant me this access?

EDIT: I haven't been to a launch event west of the Mississippi, so I am not sure how you guys do things.

Last edited:
BLM land, like all other public land, does belong to all of us U.S. citizens, but it’s managed by BLM which means that they have rules that must be followed. Those rules vary by location.
In my experience they have been very good to work with. Our local club has launched from the same location on BLM managed land for 16 years.
You’ll have to ask the local BLM office whether you can launch. Many places BLM prohibits driving except on specific marked roads. Some places they ask for fees and require that you obtain a permit.

I'll 2nd Steve's comments.

There is some primo BLM land near our homestead. I inquired with the local BLM fella about launching rockets there. I was told that since some local cattlemen have grazing rights there, I can't launch from that area.

Also, burn bans may be restrictive....... based on how dry the season has been.

Bottom line is you need to do your due diligence and research, research, research.

Bonneville salt flats where Hellfire (Sparky motor friendly!) is, is managed by BLM, UROC (Utah Rocket Club) makes the arrangements with them each year. I think the other launch site is also managed by BLM, and so UROC coordinates with them for use.

Right now all across my region there is a very restrictive fire ban on most/all BLM, Forest Service, and State lands. No open fires (including charcoal, etc.) sure, but also no fireworks, welding, acetylene torch, metal cutting, tracer ammunition, steel tipped/core ammunition, exploding target, etc. Also, you have to make sure about things like trailer chains that drag, or other things that may cause sparks*. How about just smoking?....nope, except in enclosed vehicles or while "stopped in an area that is paved, barren, or cleared to mineral soil".

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be all that thrilled with some random guy launching rockets right now. It CAN be done, but there are rules and permissions that need to be taken into account.

* = note that the Carr fire seems to have been started by a car with a flat tire, and riding on the rim that caused sparks.

Regardless of where you fly, isn’t an FAA waiver going to be needed if you intend to fly HP?

Remember that an FAA waiver would be needed as well, I think. NAR has how to apply for one on their website. www.skyvector.com can also help you.

Regardless of where you fly, isn’t an FAA waiver going to be needed if you intend to fly HP?

Yes. He already included the sentence “provided I follow FAR” which would be the Federal Aviation Regulations which mandate a COA for Class 2 rockets.

I am always worried abotu using federal land. I comes from some of my friends and metal detecting on federal land. They though they had enough with the park rangers verbal approval, but they end up with a night in jail and had to go to court to get their metal detectors and cars back. Get any approval in writing.

Thanks for the replies. Yep, I tried looking through the BLM website, but got stuck in government website hell.

A Google search turned up something about Black Rock events/fees/vendors.

I then stumbled on a drone forum, and they are just as confused as everybody else. A different phone call to a different government official each resulted in a different answer.

Anywho, I am just daydreaming and envious of the rocket options out west.

Right now all across my region there is a very restrictive fire ban on most/all BLM, Forest Service, and State lands. No open fires (including charcoal, etc.) sure, but also no fireworks, welding, acetylene torch, metal cutting, tracer ammunition, steel tipped/core ammunition, exploding target, etc. Also, you have to make sure about things like trailer chains that drag, or other things that may cause sparks*. How about just smoking?....nope, except in enclosed vehicles or while "stopped in an area that is paved, barren, or cleared to mineral soil".

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be all that thrilled with some random guy launching rockets right now. It CAN be done, but there are rules and permissions that need to be taken into account.

* = note that the Carr fire seems to have been started by a car with a flat tire, and riding on the rim that caused sparks.

Yep. I just spent 10 days touring NoCal and Southern Oregon, so I know all about the Carr fire. Horrible, horrible. We got out of Redding just in time, and had to detour around closed Rt. 299. Not to make light of the devastation, but the smoke everywhere put a damper on my vacation, too. Couldn't even see the blue water of Crater Lake...

As a follow up: I scouted about and found another piece of local BLM land that is barren of rocket eating trees, that is flat and does't have deep ravines.

I then called the Regional Office listed on the BLM Map and asked about LPR launching there. The Enforcement Officer replied... "Sure you can, just clean up your mess before you leave".

https://www.blm.gov/maps/frequently-requested

https://www.blm.gov/contact

As a follow up: I scouted about and found another piece of local BLM land that is barren of rocket eating trees, that is flat and does't have deep ravines.

I then called the Regional Office listed on the BLM Map and asked about LPR launching there. The Enforcement Officer replied... "Sure you can, just clean up your mess before you leave".

https://www.blm.gov/maps/frequently-requested

https://www.blm.gov/contact

You got lucky. In my experience, whether you get a yes or a no for requests like these, it pretty much always comes down to the personality and mindset of whoever just happens to be the deciding authority at the time. Basically, it's a total crapshoot with almost no actual rhyme or reason coming into play. You could have just as easily had someone else in charge at that moment that would have said, "hell no, absolutely no way".

That said, the REAL responsibility is still on you either way. Please make sure you do everything possible, and a few things that are not, to MAKE SURE there is no way whatsoever to start a fire. Be super-ultra diligent about it. Especially if you are flying alone or with just one or two other people......if something goes wrong, you may be the only person that can deal with it before it gets out of control (which can happen extremely fast). Be prepared! Run through some "what if" scenarios, make sure you have at least one fire extinguisher, and err very much on the side of caution.

Oh, and have fun flying of course!

s6

I've had good luck with the BLM folks... and I did get the guys name and contact data documented.. in case it's needed.

As for checking to make sure every thing is covered...

Attachments

• Countdown Checklist Rev. 02.pdf
    417.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Our club actually owns some land in eastern Oregon and has agreeements with surrounding land owners and BLM. You just can't fly on BLM land without their permission. Well, you CAN do it, but if you're caught, there will be hell to pay (possible fines and jail time for trespassing), and you will make it difficult for other rocket flyers or clubs to get permission from BLM in the future. If you fly without permission and you start a wildfire, it will be even worse.

Back