Personal Launch Report - SCRA 2022-09-17

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The day started out cloudy but no rain (this is Southern CA after all). That kept the temperatures comfortable. None of my flights were going to come close the ceiling.
You will have to forgive the quality of my photos. I always use manual focus. This day I simply was waiting to hear the 7D's beep saying the focus grid thought it good. Well my eye, turns out, would have been a much better judge.

My first flight was a Doozy ... well actually a Duecy my Duecy Two Stage... a rocket inspired by a Barclone design

Here's the last picture of this version. Loaded with a C11-0 to a C11-5.
SCRA-20220917 (2 of 416).jpg by Jeffrey Gortatowsky, on Flickr

The sustainer failed to ignite. This is the second C11-0 I've launched direct staged that has failed to ignite the sustainer. When I inquired about this a friend told me that some believe there is a large amount of empty air in a C11-0 case and this may pop the stages apart and squash the flame front. Dunno... but I launch 2 more direct staged rockets with A10-0s and no issues.

SCRA-20220917 (36 of 416).jpg by Jeffrey Gortatowsky, on Flickr

It lawn darted into the field away from anything or anyone. Anyway the Altimeter One said something like 350' apogee. BTW it survived the lawn dart. I have sawed off the top half, inserted a couple, printed a new transition, grabbed an 8 inch (20cm) length of BT55 and a NC.... its ready for paint. Next time, a D12-0 just to see...

Last edited:
Finally the Flis Trifecta. I'll tell you I have broken the fins and such on this model more times than I like to admit just carrying it or prepping it.

If flew great staging A10-0 to A10-0 to A10-0... there was I a lot of wiggle in the third stage's flight. I suspect fin flutter. Alas I lost track of the upper stage and never did find it. If someone out there has the pattern for the upper stage fins, shoot me a PM

SCRA-20220917 (396 of 416).jpg by Jeffrey Gortatowsky, on Flickr

The day started out cloudy but no rain (this is Southern CA after all). That kept the temperatures comfortable. None of my flights were going to come close the ceiling.
You will have to forgive the quality of my photos. I always use manual focus. This day I simply was waiting to hear the 7D's beep saying the focus grid thought it good. Well my eye, turns out, would have been a much better judge.

My first flight was a Doozy ... well actually a Duecy my Duecy Two Stage... a rocket inspired by a Barclone design

Here's the last picture of this version. Loaded with a C11-0 to a C11-5.
SCRA-20220917 (2 of 416).jpg by Jeffrey Gortatowsky, on Flickr

The sustainer failed to ignite. This is the second C11-0 I've launched direct staged that has failed to ignite the sustainer. When I inquired about this a friend told me that some believe there is a large amount of empty air in a C11-0 case and this may pop the stages apart and squash the flame front. Dunno... but I launch 2 more direct staged rockets with A10-0s and no issues.

SCRA-20220917 (36 of 416).jpg by Jeffrey Gortatowsky, on Flickr

It lawn darted into the field away from anything or anyone. Anyway the Altimeter One said something like 350' apogee. BTW it survived the lawn dart. I have sawed off the top half, inserted a couple, printed a new transition, grabbed an 8 inch (20cm) length of BT55 and a NC.... its ready for paint. Next time, a D12-0 just to see...
I’ve done two direct-staged flights with a converted Estes Goblin on C11-0s. I tape the booster and sustainer motors together and friction-fit them both. I always end up getting a tighter fit than I intend or think will work but it works. More commonly I experience staging failures in looser fits.

For whatever reason those motors are easier to take out once they’re burned. I’ve actually had motors fall out of that tumbling booster on the way down more commonly than I’ve had them stay put, even after worrying how I’d ever get them out. So now I don’t worry so much about post-flight removal.

Maybe consider beefing up your stage attachments if you decide to continue flying these C11 boosters. I see very little downside to it.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with the C11-0. Obviously I have not had good luck with them. Looking back over my rocketreviews flight logs I have had multiple C11-0 failures to stage. And none with A10-0's, B6-0's C6-0's or D12-0's. This was the second time in two months I had a failed to stage with C11-0s. Accord to my logs, I had 3 or 4 more a few years ago. All C11-0's. Beats me. I using scotch magic tape when direct staging and have since I was kid I think. :) The motor was a loose fit in the booster. BTW: I just got a 1/4" wide roll of clear cellophane tape as someone recommended that over the semi-transparent tape. :questions:

I am not saying there is anything wrong with the C11-0. Obviously I have not had good luck with them. Looking back over my rocketreviews flight logs I have had multiple C11-0 failures to stage. And none with A10-0's, B6-0's C6-0's or D12-0's. This was the second time in two months I had a failed to stage with C11-0s. Accord to my logs, I had 3 or 4 more a few years ago. All C11-0's. Beats me. I using scotch magic tape when direct staging and have since I was kid I think. :) The motor was a loose fit in the booster. BTW: I just got a 1/4" wide roll of clear cellophane tape as someone recommended that over the semi-transparent tape. :questions:
Funny, I switched the opposite way.

Back