Personal Launch Report--ROCC 11/30/13

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusSRG

Reaction score
My local club, Rocketry of Central Carolina (ROCC) has had to move its launch back two weeks due to crops and weather and everyone was just itching to get out and fly! The day finally came yesterday, with beautiful weather, and a wide open farm.

I had three launches planned, two of which were fully prepped minus igniters. So I got right to it...

ROCC113013 006.jpg

First off was my newly rebuilt/cloned Big Brute, based on the two fins I had left from my original model. I modified the design further by adding an electronics bay in the nose, an Archetype cable cutter for dual deploy and a central 38mm motor mount with two outboard 24mms. This would be the bird's first flight and my first flight with a cable cutter.

After a misfire (leads accidentally shorted out), the H97J roared to life, belching black smoke. The Brute flew very well but took a bit of a left turn... but I had adjusted it to the right to fly into the breeze... Hmm...more on that in a minute. Good nose separation at apogee but the rocket seemed to be moving around and tumblig a good bit. The cable cutter fired right on cue, deploying the main chute successfully. However, the booster was above the chute and fell right through it, causing some tangling and unintentional reefing. Landing was soft enough. No damage except for a missing aft rail guide, which is the culprit of the unexpected flight profile. I made the mistake of not using a standoff since the Brute can stand on its own fins. I think the bottom rail guide sank below the base of the rail and snagged upon ignition of the H97....the angle is quite obvious in the picture! 1112' according to my RRC2+ and a good flight overall but I dodged a couple of bullets.
ROCC113013 007.jpgROCC113013 008.jpgROCC113013 009.jpg

One motor just isn't enough...time for clusters. My LOC Ultimate was already to roll minus igniters. It was loaded with a central DMS H135W and (6) D12 outboards. I used Q2G2s to fire the D12's and for the "H" I used two Q2's wired together, extended with CAT5 and double dipped in QuickDip. RRC2 onboard set to deploy a main at apogee with motor backup and a secondary main at 300'.
ROCC113013 013.jpg

Now, I knew the D's would hit first, but I expected the central H to be up to pressure by the time it left the rail...nope. At zero the D's hissed to life with abundant smoke. Slow climb up the rail...no H...rail cleared...no H...where's the H?!? Finally, at about 30' up, when the rocket was climbing painfully slow and beginning to arc downrange the H135W finally caught and sent the Ultimate into overdrive! As evidenced by pictures, I missed the ignition of the H. The myriad of shots under D12 power shows how slow it was moving. The 'smoke only' shot shows the enhanced smoke plume (which doesn't reach the ground) from the H igniting. After a nail-biting liftoff it turned out to be an excellent flight to 1045' with nominal recovery.
ROCC113013 020.jpgROCC113013 021.jpgROCC113013 022.jpgROCC113013 023.jpgROCC113013 024.jpg

Last edited:
Finally...the last flight. My 5.5" Phoenix on a central AeroTech DMS I280DM and (2) RMS H178DM...all Dark Matter. Had to set this one up with altimeters and motor plugs from the other flights. The photos speak for themselves. It arced right over the flight line for all to see. 1732' and just missed the trees!!!! Barely!! What an ending to a great launch!!! Thanks to all the ROCC boys and girls for another great one!!!
ROCC113013 026.jpgROCC113013 030.jpgROCC113013 031.jpgphoe2.jpgphoe1.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 1.jpg

Here's a boost-only vid of the flight + slo-mo. Damn Nation!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba8Y_EY4tCU

Last edited:
hated I missed the Phoenix Launch. Wanted to get out there but had other stuff going on. Had GREAT weather yesterday with little wind. Flew a Loki H144 in my Fantom, may need more of those in the spring. :)

hated I missed the Phoenix Launch. Wanted to get out there but had other stuff going on. Had GREAT weather yesterday with little wind. Flew a Loki H144 in my Fantom, may need more of those in the spring. :)

Yeah, I wish I was there yesterday!!! But I spent all my money Saturday and had to put up Christmas decorations yesterday instead:) Loki H144's are great little motors!

Edit: Here's a link to the club gallery, including more pics from myself and others!
https://www.rocketrycarolina.org/gallery/november-launch/

Last edited:
Fantastic report. Thanks for the photos. Very nice. CTIs work best for clusters that need instant ignition.

Fantastic report. Thanks for the photos. Very nice. CTIs work best for clusters that need instant ignition.

Thanks so much and you are definitely right, CTI is much easier to cluster. But I was planning/expecting the central H motor in the Ultimate cluster to light a little late… It just took a little more time than I would've liked! In the future I think I'm going to start doing Pyrodex pellets in all AT reload clusters, which provides similar ignition reliability to CTI. The single use motors prevent this, however. I originally wanted to go with an H180W but decided to try the DMS instead. But I will say that FirstFires plus loops of thermalite at the head of each motor got the Dark Matter cluster going quick! I used a dowel to insert the loop of thermalite into the central DMS SU I280. Probably hard to do in 29mm though.

Also, Jeff, your reports and use of the cable cutter pushed me to get one...and I'm so glad I did! I had good success with it on this launch but I'll have to add a small drogue to my Big Brute setup to keep the nose above the booster to avoid tangling.

I've not had that failure mode. But there is no reason a drogue can't be used. Just connect it short and to the nose cone so it's out of the way of the bundle. And make sure it can't tangle/pull/break your wiring to the cutter.

I've had good luck for sure. I am sure 'the day' will come. But even traditional dual deploys have their failures. Once I had a chute not inflate, but not because of the cutter.

The sparky cluster was cool! :cool: No cluster ships in my fleet (well the Deuces Wild), but I have the salvaged 7x29 mount from my old THOY Nighthawk. Just have to get up the gumption to build something (And wrestle with the cost/flight)

Like I said, great report!! Wish I could encourage more of them. Beats the cr*p out of all these politics threads! :wink:

I've not had that failure mode. But there is no reason a drogue can't be used. Just connect it short and to the nose cone so it's out of the way of the bundle. And make sure it can't tangle/pull/break your wiring to the cutter.

I've had good luck for sure. I am sure 'the day' will come. But even traditional dual deploys have their failures. Once I had a chute not inflate, but not because of the cutter.

The sparky cluster was cool! :cool: No cluster ships in my fleet (well the Deuces Wild), but I have the salvaged 7x29 mount from my old THOY Nighthawk. Just have to get up the gumption to build something (And wrestle with the cost/flight)

Like I said, great report!! Wish I could encourage more of them. Beats the cr*p out of all these politics threads! :wink:

I believe my 'failure mode' was because it was a short draggy booster....it had more drag and remained above the nosecone until the chute deployed; it was going to fall right through no matter what. I'll do exactly that with my drogue--just keep it towards the nose but away from the recovery bundle -- there's a lot going on up there between chute bundles, wires, ejection charges and shock cords!

Thanks for the kind words on the sparky cluster. I saw your response to the other post I did on the 'rocket wise today' thread. You should do something with your nighthawk! That was my first big cluster rocket too! Yes they are expensive to fly but there's just something about a cluster. I'm obsessed. I just have to plan my flights out in advance so that I can save up the money to buy the motors.

I am totally with you in that I have no desire to participate in any politics. I'd rather hear about other people's techniques, projects and hear their stories . Most of it is just a lot of back-and-forth just to prove one's point anyway. I just don't get into it, but for some people that's what they like to do, I can't judge. It's just not my thing.

I like your launch reports for the same reason likewise! I will also say that I have made note of your organization skills in prepping your vehicles before the launch. I definitely took a lot from that and had a very smooth and successful launch because two of my birds were completely ready. The third one only needed recovery installed and the altimeter from one of the others.

It's good to be on the same page with someone!

Last edited:
Back