Personal Launch Report - 2013-04-26

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score

Twice earlier this year I had made the drive north into the Antelope Valley and on to Mojave California. A sharp turn right and you are driving along the Northern side of all the history that is Edwards Air Force Base. Twice however the desert Winter winds had thwarted all attempts to launch. Last year I ended with four great launches in a row in this location. But 2013 had been a weather CATO so far.

Today would be different! I arrived about 8:30am after the 2 hour and 15 minute drive. Temperature already about 22C and the winds very light to dead calm. As is usual I had prepped 6 rockets the preceding few days and got down to work (or play as the case were).

Fair warning: I was having a "Bad Photo" day... they happen. Focus mostly. Apologies in advance.

First up:
My rebuilt Vaugh Bros Javelin loaded with a 166H175 Smoky Sam. The delay was adjusted to 8 seconds as you'll notice this is essentially a full G motor. Again keeping in mind all G's are not created equal. Or simply put a baby baby H. Riding along was an AltAcc 2C for testing. I had gotten it used off eBay and was having a devil of a time testing it with the usual procedure in the manual. Normally with my old AltAcc 2 I had no problem doing the test, but this one was kicking my butt.

So I used motor eject, hooked a 10k ohm resistor to the drogue channel and a Quest Q2G2 to the main with no BP for the test.

8688039268_febeeda49a_b.jpg

Recovery was perfect AND the Q2G2 fired. The readout made when I got home showed 1550' (472m) and spot on the ROCKSIM 1587' prediction. It all showed the drogue and the main channel firing. So I am pretty durn confident this AltAcc is read for service. At least for motor apogee and cable cutting service.

Last edited:
The Formula 98 was prepped as I did on it's maiden flight a week ago with a few changes.

A) I added an apogee charge to test the Stratologger's drogue channel (along with the motor deployment)
B) I switched to a 6' (2m) Rockman Standard parachute from the 6 foot Sphereachute for not particular reason.

I had left the motor unprepped. I wanted to see what the weather would be. I had an 11 year old J570 and no case. I figured if no wind I'd borrow the case and send it on the J570W. Alas, that case is not available from the club for loaning. So the choice was made for me. A CTI 765J330-9 was pressed into duty. I don't know why I did not burn the 1266J760WT I have... chicken I guess. :eyeroll:

8688039630_e6b827788e_b.jpg

Sorry about the focus... grrrrr :bangpan::bangpan::bangpan::cry::cry::cry:

8686923375_49fe6db82b_b.jpg

Here's a photo of a photo David A took.

8690301936_d7cdb657e3_b.jpg

The flight was perfect. Nose break at apogee and once again, an Archetype Cable Cutter doing the deployment chores at 500' (152m). The Stratologger beeped out 2550' (777m).

Last edited:

My scratch built Dagger 38 was prepped with an I211W-M cut by 4 seconds. A lob for this 5 to 6 pound (2.5kg) rocket...

8686923685_a64f34e431_b.jpg

8686923863_42463ac739_b.jpg

8688041096_dc2a91cc58_b.jpg

8688041696_1f72e8db86_b.jpg

The recover was again, nose blow at apogee ejecting the bundled chute and an Archetype Cable Cutter at 500 (152m) releasing the 6' (2m) sphere-a-chute. Apogee as recorded by the Adept-22 was 1475' (450m) nicely fitting the 1550' or so ROCKSIM predicts.

Last time I launched the Astrobee-D the laundry did not get pushed out of the forward (main chute) compartment. It fell fluttering sideways for no damage (except my pride) to the playa. Today I added more BP to the charge. And I still screwed the pooch. :( THIS time I was not so lucky. The pieces even though split apart, managed to streamline in the last second or two of flight. BLAM. Instant "Astrobee Shorter D" :grin::grin:

The motor was a 231ns H250 Mojave Green (44% of a full H). The flight up was flawless to an AltAcc-2 recorded 1927' (587m). The motor delay was drilled a second or so. I fergit right now... maybe none as it was a medium (about 10 seconds). I can't fault anything other than my packing job or not somehow sealing things better as 1.5 grams should have been PLENTY. But somehow it blew by popping the nose cone off but leaving everything else inside.

Too bad... it always looked bad-ass on that rail...

Ignition

8688065550_9d20171379_b.jpg

8686948105_d13d0a93f3_b.jpg

Flew the Big Betha on a C<Something or Another> :grin: :wink: :rolleyes: to a Altimeter Two recorded 287' (87m). Chute popped right after apogee for a great flight.

Caught a nice photo.

8686953979_16066ea740_b.jpg

Classic looking ship is it not? :cool:
8688071818_0c3ab3679b_b.jpg

Last edited:

Dovetailing into the "The Launch Pad Rockets Suck Because... " squabble that seems to find its way onto TRF every 4 months or so... I sent up my stock (except for papering the fins so I did not have to seal them) BT-60 based TLP Hawk. This is it's 8th (well 8th since I have been keeping track of my flights on RocketReviews.com) sortie. Like I said... pretty much stock. No heavier tubing, uses elastic for the shock cord, you know, light weight model rocket stuff. Just like TLP says you should use... :bangpan::bangpan:

This time kickin' it's butt up there on an old (two o-ring in the delay) E28-7 cut to what should have been a 5 second and what was actually an 8 second delay. :facepalm:

And yes I forgot the Altimeter Two.... :bangpan::bangpan::bangpan::bangpan::cry::cry::eyeroll:

Nice huh...
8686956165_061d46887c_b.jpg

Flight was great except for the heart stopping 3 extra delay seconds... but it all held together and drifted off for my longest walk of the day... about a 1/4 mile. Up until then everything else landed literally no more than a few hundred feet from the launch site. My FitBit was happy though as I got my 10,000 step goal... :grin: (makes my wife happy).

Found it behind a large bush... the ROCKSIM guessimate is 1500' (457m) and I'd say it got much of that.

Last edited:
By now it was about 12:30pm... and I could have prepped another. But it was into the 90's (35C) however with virtually no wind! I could have done at least one more... but I was a bit beat after walking for the Hawk... and I am still getting used to my Diabetes meds (newly diagnosed)... and new diet... so I decided I'd had a lot of fun, burned a lot of newton/seconds (for me), and should git while the gittin was good. And it's takes a good 30 minutes or more to get home than it does to arrive as now L.A. traffic is in full swing (you get used to it... sort of).

Here's a link to the rest of the photos. Some nice photos of a few other rockets there... coupla nice Kosdon loads... A sweet Formula 54... and some LPR.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffgortatowsky/sets/72157633352107537/

Enjoy...

As always feedback is welcome as is constructive criticism.

Looks like a great day for launching rockets. Pictures look good, even if a little out of focus. I have a hard time just keeping the rocket in the picture, much less keeping in focus.

I really enjoy your launch reports, those are some great flights. Thank you for taking your time to share with us your awesome experience.

Back