Permanently attaching the metal tip of a nose cone.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swissyhawk

Reaction score
Has anyone permanently attached the metal tip to the nose cone? My 54 mm Tomach had a rough landing and chipped a little bit of the FG at the top of the cone. I sanded it a bit to smooth it out, but now there is a gap between the FG and the metal tip. It's not a huge gap, but you could probably slide 2 credit cards in it. I was thinking of epoxying the bolt into the metal tip and then filling the gap with epoxy. That would permanently attach the metal tip to the nose cone. Are there any down sides to doing this? I'm already using coupler nuts that are epoxied into the aft end of the NC coupler so I can remove the NC bulkhead and use the NC as an AV bay.

I see no reason why this shouldn't work out fine. I have glued the tip to the eye bolt on a few rockets where the metal tip had no shoulder.

Haven't done it myself but I have read threads where it's been done with no ill effect.

When I need to add nose weight I replace the bolt that attaches the aluminum tip with an eye bolt. Then I pour in a weighed amount of BBs and epoxy, covering the eye bolt. The eye bolt is to give the epoxy something to hold on to, but that process also permanently attaches the aluminum nose cone tip.

I poured some epoxy and hollow tip pellets into my Punisher nose cone so that tip isn't going anywhere. No issues.

I was concerned about the tip moving and causing flight anomalies as I've heard of it some extreme flights. So I fill the gap between the tip and it's retaining washer with jb weld and lead shot then screw it down tight. It's a messy three handed process but it's not moving. I had the rocket lawn dart from 3k ft and the tip didn't budge.

Here's another opinion. Use a washer that just fits inside the ID of the nosecone to keep it in place. You can start with a slightly oversized washer and grind it to size. Then run aluminum all-thread (or steel) from the tip back out to be able to hold the bulkhead in place. Using this method you can add nose weight by sliding large washers down the all thread to the tip. They can then be held in place with a nut and lock washer or two nuts jammed against each other. If you use a wing nut you can make a simple wrench by taking a piece of appropriately sized PVC tubing and cutting slots in the end to capture the 'wings' of the wing nut. I like this method as it allows me to easily vary the weight to put the CG where it needs to be but not carry extra weight when it's not needed with smaller motors. I've even filled the front of the nose cone with lead shot and then held it in place with a large washer.

I also use the all thread to mount my tracker in the nosecone. Being able to remove it is a lot more flexible than having it permanently glued in.

Tony

On the shoulderless tips, I used the little fiberglass washer and replaced the screw with an eye-bolt. Once the tip was centered and tight to where it pulled the FG washer into place, I unscrewed the tip. I filled the void between the washer and the tip (around the threaded part of the eyebolt) with epoxy. Then tightened the tip down to the epoxy - some might ooze out - wipe that clean.

Had too many rough landings where the tip was knocked askew and bent the bolt to one side.

Edit: looks like this option was already covered.

I will now since the tip of my G3 somehow came loose and got lost during landing at LDRS...

I use 1" diameter, 1/16" thick aluminum washers. I stack three or four sandwiched with JB Weld onto bottom/center of the tip. Keeps everything solid and centered. No reason to permanently attach the tip. BTW, I also have 7/8" and 1-1/8" diameter washers, but 1" usually works.

Back