Performer 98 Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcamhale

College Rocketeer
Reaction score
After a failed L2 attempt with a Loc Ezi-65 I decided to go big and build a fiberglass kit for my next attempt. After looking around I settled on Ken Allen's Performer 98 that he recommended.

It is a 98mm diameter, a little over 7.5 feet tall with 3 fins and a 75mm motor mount.

Can't wait to get started on this one!
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471362795.882858.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck on your cert. Document the build really good and you can use that bird for L3 also.

Should be a nice kit. You maybe could do L-3 with it also. Did the yellow nose cone come with the kit? Just never seen a yellow cone in a kit. It looks like a nice cone.

Should be a nice kit. You maybe could do L-3 with it also. Did the yellow nose cone come with the kit? Just never seen a yellow cone in a kit. It looks like a nice cone.

Yes the yellow cone came with it. I thought it was a little strange. Maybe a different glass or resin than the rest of the kit. A future L3 was part of the reason for going with a kit this big!

Started the build working on the coupler/ AV bay. I used a small amount of Aeropoxy ES 6209 to attach the piece of body tube in the middle. Still haven't decided what I want to do for a sled. Maybe a 3D printed one?
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471367906.701464.jpg
Measuring and marking the center.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471367920.365844.jpg
After applying the epoxy.

Last edited:
Started the build working on the coupler/ AV bay. I used a small amount of Aeropoxy ES 6209 to attach the piece of body tube in the middle. Still haven't decided what I want to do for a sled. Maybe a 3D printed one?
View attachment 299069
Measuring and marking the center.
View attachment 299070
After applying the epoxy.

I'll be watching too. If you make it down to a MDRS launch let me know. Doesn't look like your too far away.

Regarding the sled:
  • What altimeters are you planning on running?
  • What recovering configuration do you plan on using?

Mac Performance has some pretty nice 3D printer sleds you could model from: https://shop.macperformancerocketry...nted-components/products/3-d-printed-products

You could also CNC cut the sled. Something like this that mounts on 2 pieces of allthread is pretty standard: https://www.madcowrocketry.com/altimeter-bay-4-airframe/

I'll be watching too. If you make it down to a MDRS launch let me know. Doesn't look like your too far away.

Regarding the sled:
  • What altimeters are you planning on running?
  • What recovering configuration do you plan on using?

Mac Performance has some pretty nice 3D printer sleds you could model from: https://shop.macperformancerocketry...nted-components/products/3-d-printed-products

You could also CNC cut the sled. Something like this that mounts on 2 pieces of allthread is pretty standard: https://www.madcowrocketry.com/altimeter-bay-4-airframe/

I'm planning on using dual Stratologgers with standard dual deployment configuration. I might squeeze in a eggfinder as well if I don't put it in the nose.

Just a head's up: that kit, even with the smallest M motor, is going to go well over 11,000'. Keep that in mind if planning for L3.

Just a head's up: that kit, even with the smallest M motor, is going to go well over 11,000'. Keep that in mind if planning for L3.

Yeah I've been playing around with Rocksim it'll be an impressive flight. I'm planning on LDRS next year for my L3.

Yeah I've been playing around with Rocksim it'll be an impressive flight. I'm planning on LDRS next year for my L3.

Good choice of fields. Higgs is good for doing that. If I recall John put his Radial Flyer up to 13k there this spring.

Excellent. I'll be there with my Formula 200!

Looking forward to that. I will also have my Forumla 200 there for either a cert flight or just to fly, depending on whether there is a Red Glare in November this year.

Instead of working on the rocket I decided to do a little prep work on the electronic components, everything except the switches were purchased from doghouse rocketry.
. ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471386862.593262.jpg
L to R: Terminal blocks, two-wire connectors, key switches, 6g charge wells, battery holders.

Last edited:
If you haven't picked out a motor for your L2 yet, at least take a look at the Aerotech J800. I built mine pretty heavy and that load took it to just shy of 3000'. I probably lost a little altitude from drag caused by the external camera mount, but not a lot. It's a nice bird - just needs some oomph off the pad as it's not exactly a lightweight.

If you haven't picked out a motor for your L2 yet, at least take a look at the Aerotech J800. I built mine pretty heavy and that load took it to just shy of 3000'. I probably lost a little altitude from drag caused by the external camera mount, but not a lot. It's a nice bird - just needs some oomph off the pad as it's not exactly a lightweight.

I've looked around and I think I'm going to go with a Loki J350. I flew a Loki on the ezi-65 that I lost so I'm a little more familiar with Loki compared to aerotech. Plus the Loki 54-1200 comes with a plugged bulkhead that I need for my recovery setup.

Just an FYI ... both of my 4" by 7' rockets used about an average of 1.5g of BP in each end. 6g charge wells are probably overkill. You might want to get the 3g wells, and save the big ones for something else down the road.

Just an FYI ... both of my 4" by 7' rockets used about an average of 1.5g of BP in each end. 6g charge wells are probably overkill. You might want to get the 3g wells, and save the big ones for something else down the road.

I like the 6g ones. I used them on my ezi-65 with about 2.4g of bp. They're definitely overkill, but I like having a little extra room for packing the charge. I can always take them off and put them on something else if I want to.

When you put the black powder in put dog barf on top and masking tape around the whole well. I don't think it's going to hurt to use the larger wells as long as the powder is confined and in contact with the EMatch.

When you put the black powder in put dog barf on top and masking tape around the whole well. I don't think it's going to hurt to use the larger wells as long as the powder is confined and in contact with the EMatch.

It doesn't hurt ... unless you don't get all the powder lit. The narrower the well, with the match head at the bottom, will ensure the entire charge gets lit.

That's exactly what I do. Hasn't failed yet!

It doesn't hurt ... unless you don't get all the powder lit. The narrower the well, with the match head at the bottom, will ensure the entire charge gets lit.

I try to put the match head in the middle of the powder, so when it ignites the lower half of powder has to go past the burning match/powder to exit the charge well. Ensuring that as much of the powder that can be lit will be.

Today was my first day of classes so no real progress on the rocket but I did manage to sew the end loops on the tubular nylon that I'm going to be using. I was going to get a harness from One bad hawk but funds got tight after buying textbooks, so I just used this nylon that I had for a future project. I still need to pick up a little shrink tubing to put over the stitches.

Measuring for the loop.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471457902.489969.jpg

Finished loop.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471457926.344671.jpg

Both 30' sections completed.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471457852.850144.jpg

I try to put the match head in the middle of the powder, so when it ignites the lower half of powder has to go past the burning match/powder to exit the charge well. Ensuring that as much of the powder that can be lit will be.

If you use a long enough tube that won't matter. I use 4" long copper and the pressure build-up from travelling out the tube ensures complete combustion by the time it exits. Black Powder burns faster at higher pressures and a longer tube helps contain and build the pressure at the source.

Today was my first day of classes so no real progress on the rocket but I did manage to sew the end loops on the tubular nylon that I'm going to be using. I was going to get a harness from One bad hawk but funds got tight after buying textbooks, so I just used this nylon that I had for a future project. I still need to pick up a little shrink tubing to put over the stitches.

Measuring for the loop.
View attachment 299132

Finished loop.

View attachment 299134

Both 30' sections completed.
View attachment 299131

Those look nice. Kevlar thread? Also, what type of stitch pattern did you use?

Finished sanding and measuring for the upper centering rings. The lower centering ring will be put into place after the fincan area is filled with foam. The aeropack retainer will go into place after the lower centering ring is in place.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471731581.013001.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471731594.258449.jpg

Last night I was finally able to epoxy the Upper centering rings onto the motor mount using rocketpoxy. The more I use it the more I love it!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1471789165.620044.jpg

I didn't bother with cleaning up the smeared epoxy. It isn't hurting anything and it will be inside the rocket, so looks don't matter.

After a few delays the motor mount was finally installed into the main airframe.

Looking at the top of the motor mount.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1472236039.768644.jpg

After checking the availability of the motor that I was originally going to fly, I have decided to fly a Loki J820 instead.

The electronics and final components of the AV bay are on order as well as the parachutes. I decided to go with a 12" drogue and 66" sky angle main.

Next up for the rocket is installing the fins and nose bulkhead!

Tentative launch date is September 9-10 with tripoli Pittsburgh!

Back