Performance Rocketry - Gizmo Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barstoolmike

Reaction score
Here's mine. Flew it in the Wildman drag race at LDRS two years ago in Kansas & Mid West Power two years ago. Came in second in both drag races.DSCF0011.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My Gizmo was first flown at Southern Thunder a few years back in the drag race. Left first and landed next to last. I modified mine and added a PF timer in the booster and is used for primary deployment with motors w/o delay grains or as a back-up for motor ejection.

I liked mine so much I built a 8" version that I named Gizmax. It has a 54mm core motor mount and 2-38mm outboards for airstarts. I also built a hatch area in the booster that houses a PF timer for the airstarts and a PF MAWD for dual-deployment out of the same tube. It's a real crowd pleaser.

gizmo1.JPG

gizmo2.JPG

gizmo3.JPG

gizmax.JPG

gizmo_gizmax.JPG

Here is my Gizmo :D
DSCF0824.jpg

My 'Lil Nana'......smaller version of the "Gone Bananas"

Next to the K-805 green, that was it's first flight!

attachment_5_2.jpg

Jenny Gross's new Gizmo. From Wildman's Black Saturday sale. Stickers done by Mark at Stickershock. Mark did a great job as usual.

Jenny's Gizmo.JPG

Tigress, Jenny or rocket.JPG

Got my Performance Rocketry Gizmo from Wildmans Black Friday sale last December and finally finished and launched it yesterday. PR makes a great kit and everything fit very nicely. I tend to "over build" my rockets so with the nose weight for stability, lots of epoxy, all the recovery gear, and foam fill nose cone it came in a bit heavier (7.25lbs) than the advertised weight of 3 lbs. I flew it on a Aerotech I357 and it worked great. Open Rocket simmed the apogee at 8 seconds so I shortened the 10 sec. delay a couple seconds which was a mistake. The chute deployed way too early so it ddidn't reach the predicted altitude of 1122ft and only went about 800 ft. All in all, this is a great kit and has become the new "favorite" rocket in my fleet. Gizmo&Me.jpg The video of the flight can be seen here--[YOUTUBE]qRPLU2jH_sI[/YOUTUBE]

Got my Performance Rocketry Gizmo from Wildmans Black Friday sale last December and finally finished and launched it yesterday. PR makes a great kit and everything fit very nicely. I tend to "over build" my rockets so with the nose weight for stability, lots of epoxy, all the recovery gear, and foam fill nose cone it came in a bit heavier (7.25lbs) than the advertised weight of 3 lbs. I flew it on a Aerotech I357 and it worked great. Open Rocket simmed the apogee at 8 seconds so I shortened the 10 sec. delay a couple seconds which was a mistake. The chute deployed way too early so it ddidn't reach the predicted altitude of 1122ft and only went about 800 ft. All in all, this is a great kit and has become the new "favorite" rocket in my fleet. View attachment 50824 The video of the flight can be seen here--[YOUTUBE]qRPLU2jH_sI[/YOUTUBE]

That is one of THE BEST recoveries and flight! love the rocket.

I thought I had already put this in here but here is my Gizmo. It will by flying on a CTI J250 Skidmark at Red Glare XII for my L2 cert. With single-deploy motor ejection it looks like it is going to be a long walk to recover this one using a 48" top flight chute.

_MG_4480.JPG

EDIT: Ended up hanging it under a 44" SkyAngel Chute. Comes in at 9.0lbs loaded w/ a 1grain 54mm.
_MG_5199.JPG

_MG_5223.JPG
_MG_5228.JPG

Last edited:
Good luck on the flight. Should be able to see the whole flight with that motor. Long walks are better than broken fins or chipped paint ;)

Jason

Got my Performance Rocketry Gizmo from Wildmans Black Friday sale last December and finally finished and launched it yesterday. PR makes a great kit and everything fit very nicely. I tend to "over build" my rockets so with the nose weight for stability, lots of epoxy, all the recovery gear, and foam fill nose cone it came in a bit heavier (7.25lbs) than the advertised weight of 3 lbs. I flew it on a Aerotech I357 and it worked great. Open Rocket simmed the apogee at 8 seconds so I shortened the 10 sec. delay a couple seconds which was a mistake. The chute deployed way too early so it ddidn't reach the predicted altitude of 1122ft and only went about 800 ft. All in all, this is a great kit and has become the new "favorite" rocket in my fleet. View attachment 50824 The video of the flight can be seen here--[YOUTUBE]qRPLU2jH_sI[/YOUTUBE]

Wow... terribly long walk:wink:.

One word... wow :y:

Can't wait to see this thing continue to progress and fly. Make sure you get lots of flight pics.

I thought I had already put this in here but here is my Gizmo. It will by flying on a CTI J250 Skidmark at Red Glare XII for my L2 cert. With single-deploy motor ejection it looks like it is going to be a long walk to recover this one using a 48" top flight chute.

_MG_4480.JPG

_MG_4357.JPG

James... you fed it after midnight didnt you...

Swallow your food or drink now cause you might choke when see the pictures of my latest design follie. It started as a Performance Rocketry Gizmo but has morphed into what you see below. It was an attempt to make a rocket without epoxy, use a wide range of motors and run outboards.
Everything is screwed together onto three spiders. The spiders center the motor tube, align the fins, hold the electronics bay sleds and secure the body tube.
Its big, draggy and weighs more than it has too but, it was a proof of concept attempt that taught me alot about machining tolerances and thinking things through beyond just an image in my head.
The excess design flab forced the addition of a 24 inch section of body tube and a pound of lead in the nosecone. Sims says she is stable from the little one grain CTI I445 all the way to the six grain monsters that have an ejection charge. The three 29mm outboards are gravy and will be ignited after the central motor is well on its way. They can also be easily removed for less aggressive flight profiles.

This rocket is 180 degrees apart from my Accelerator v1.1 design.

They both should be fun to launch. LDRS31 or bust!

The timer bay...
IMG_3017.jpg

The buzzer bay...
IMG_3019.jpg

The altimeter bay...
IMG_3018.jpg

The hard point anchors and ARRD...
IMG_3021.jpg

The business end with outboard terminals, screw, slide, and pull pin switches...
IMG_3022.jpg

The unpainted rocket...
IMG_3024.jpg

I am such an underachiever :bangpan:

I don't know if I'd bother painting that or not. Looks right just as it is. Maybe some faux hardware near the cone or something. That's a rocket.

Here's one from this past weekends launch.
It's not mine, all I know it's flying on a Smokey Sam reload.
Taken with my Canon 7D and 70-200 F/2.8L IS lens.

JD

GizmoSSpic1lo.JPG

Hey JD ... that was my Gizmo last Sunday. I had no idea you took that picture

The motor was a CTI J280SS

Sadly, the recovery was not nearly as pretty as the launch, and the remains of my poor Gizmo now sleep with the fishes at the bottom of the river

Brad

here is mine i have yet to catch a liftoff picture as it usually flys on 2 grain / 4grain CTI54mm Vmax motors J1055 / K2045

gizmo.jpg

Bump for edit. This could end up staying under PR or be moved to Wildman since Tim has exclusive rights on this series now for the Gizmo, Gizmo XL, and Gizmo XL DD.

I like the Gizmo so much I added one more to my fleet. Like Sgt Blowfly, I love the I300.GEDC0151.jpg

Back