Performance Rocketry Competitor 4

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPatell

Reaction score
I recently bought this kit from Curtis, and would recommend that you do too! Great kit, all fiberglass and engineered very well.

Here is a pic of the parts together.

I started off by gluing a 1/4-20 eyebolt into the G10 fiberglass nosecone bulkhead. I used JB Weld on this, as I do not want anything to come loose.

This picture is to show exactly how thick the fins are. The piece on the left is 1/8" (.125") G10, while the piece on the right is one of the fins. It's 3/16" (.1875") G10, and has no bend what-so-ever.

The next thing I did was to glue on the top two centering rings. These are 1/8" G10 and very well cut. A little sanding was needed to achieve a good fit, but otherwise very nice.

After the glue (US Composites 4:1 epoxy with milled fiberglass) set up overnight, I decided to test fit everything together. A little bit of sanding was needed to get the fins to slide into the fin slots, but they fit perfectly now. Here is the rocket all together and standing up. It is over 8' tall and 4" in diameter.

and finally for now, here is a pic of the business end of the rocket, showing the 3" motor mount! This kit will take up to a 6000Ns M motor for sure, and quite possibly a 7600Ns motor. I plan to fly it on 54mm and 76mm J's, K's and L's. Maybe if I can make it down to MDRA sometime, I will fly it on a 6000Ns motor, but no promises there.

Thanks for sharing Dan!

Do you have any idea as to the weight of the kit?

I've seen the pieces that make up the Performance Rocketry full scale Astrobee D (a guy in my club is building one). The quality of the parts truly has to be seen & held to fully appreciate.

BTW, 3/16" G10 fins?!? Wow. Talk about overkill... hehe

Thanks Dan

I would be interested in seeing some pics from the rest of the construction !

Nice rocket !

Greg

Tonight I glued the motor mount into the fincan tube. More 4:1 US Composites epoxy with milled fiberglass. Over the next week or so, the fins will get glued on, the altimeter bay will be designed and built, and I will get some expanding foam for the fincan to really make it tough.

The 3/16" G10 fins are really nice. They can take the forces of HUGE motors without the need for tip-to-tip glassing. There is no flex whatsoever and that will be nice for the big motors.

Dan-

Did the fins come pre-bevelled or did you have to do them? Either way, the kit looks outstanding! Can't wait to see the rest of the build!

The fins came pre-beveled. They are awesome! Very strong and sexy-like ;)

More construction was done. The motor tube was glued into the main body tube.

Also, 1 5/16" of the main body tube was sliced off and glued on the coupler. This will serve as a shoulder for the altimeter bay. I will mount the altimeter arming switches here for external switches.

Lastly, the nosecone bulkhead was glued into the nose with JB Weld, as the inside of the cone is not perfectly circular. The JB Weld is very thick, so I used it to fill the gaps. Then, the bulkhead was glued in and filleted with epoxy and milled Fiberglass.

Note: The eyebolt is not welded or forged because I did not feel it would be needed for just the nosecone.

Looking good Dan !
Just wondering , what type of motor retention do you plan on using ?

Greg

Want to Drag race ???

Mine's all done! Did you add any nose weight so you can put a 6000Ns M in it & be stable ??

JD

Originally posted by DPatell
and finally for now, here is a pic of the business end of the rocket, showing the 3" motor mount! This kit will take up to a 6000Ns M motor for sure, and quite possibly a 7600Ns motor. I plan to fly it on 54mm and 76mm J's, K's and L's. Maybe if I can make it down to MDRA sometime, I will fly it on a 6000Ns motor, but no promises there.

JD, sure! next year at a METRA EX we can drag race. Any idea on the motor? How about 1750 Blues :)

Nope, no noseweight yet. If needed I will drill a 1/2" hole in the cone, add the weight, and then foam the cone.

The rocket is coming along nicely, I just tacked the first fin, again with US Composites and Milled glass.

Pics to come.

I might actually make it down for that...I just don't have any big 54mm or 76mm cases or loads... I was going to fly it on a 54-800 fast blue for a shakedown if I couldn't find anything else.

Keep the updates coming.... Looks great..

Wanted to pick one of those up off of the ROL auctions but just too short of cash right now..

A definite must have for the future though...

Here is a pic of the first fin in place. It's pretty darn straight.

Second fin is glued on, going to go attach the last one soon!

I still need to buy the foam for the fincan, as well as build the electronics bay.

No rush, I have all winter to build this bad boy! Going to take my time and do it right! Your patience is appreciated:)

LOL ok......

I'm just buggin out i've got nothing to build right now.. Have a kit but have to wait until i can get some fiberglassing supplies before i start on it.. will be a while.....

Originally posted by JDcluster
He's a Pic of mine just waiting for a challenger.......

JD

And possibly a can of Krylon...lol Looks good! That's a pretty nice looking kit!

Loopy

I'm in the process of painting it....
The nose cone is now Metalics Blue from Rustoleum
I'll probably paint the fins the same color while the body tubes will get a Garnet Red Metalics of the same brand.

JD

Originally posted by Loopy
And possibly a can of Krylon...lol Looks good! That's a pretty nice looking kit!

Loopy

Back