• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Performance Rocketry 8.25" Nike Smoke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ne0031

Reaction score
Built, flown once. Nose has some gel chips from life in the garage. Built with a 7.5" tube in the arse so you can build and swap various motor configurations. Comes with a single 98mm mount.

Here are a few pics of nose and tail.

Shipping is pretty much out of the question.......

Make an offer.

Omaha, NE

2004-10-08 10D IMG_8264.jpg2004-10-08 10D IMG_8266.jpg2004-10-08 10D IMG_8272.jpg2004-10-08 10D IMG_8278.jpg

Last edited:
Aww shucks... didn't see that it didn't list my location... all fixed.

How long is the booster? How long is the upper airframe? Set up for dual deployment? Weight?

Interested in Justin's Questions - I'm
Occasionally in Omaha .

Unitstrut or 1515 ?
Can you show some more pics ?
Chute cannon or open tube?
Thanks

How long is the booster? How long is the upper airframe? Set up for dual deployment? Weight?

67", there is no upper. I ran dual with a tether. I'll take it down this afternoon and weigh it, I never bothered to before.

Interested in Justin's Questions - I'm
Occasionally in Omaha .

Unitstrut or 1515 ?
Can you show some more pics ?
Chute cannon or open tube?
Thanks

there are 4 1/4x20 stud locations that can take whatever at approx 1", 6", 28", 32". It currently has custom linear uhwm 1515 guides (not buttons) but never knowing where it would fly, is ready for whatever.

Open tube. The motor mount dumbbell does fill approximately half the tube "as is" and I used it to reduce the tube volume to what was needed for the R14 that flew.

Also, the nose was setup for a multitude of electronics (and cameras that I never flew).

I used CO2, so no residue in the tube.

When I take it down to weigh it I'll snap some more pics.

Last edited:
67", there is no upper. I ran dual with a tether. I'll take it down this afternoon and weigh it, I never bothered to before.

The body is 34# and the nose is 14#, for a grand total of 48#.

IMG_20161102_150305.jpgIMG_20161102_150226.jpgIMG_20161102_150215.jpg

20# propane jug for reference. The body has two 1/8" stainless cables (which I haven't used) or the 2 forged eyebolts that are part of the motor mount that I connected tubular kevlar to. The upper rail guide is not currently installed, but I have many if you like that type. You can see the two upper stud locations easily on the body pic.

I was never one to put much effort into paint, but the white is the uv resistant primer from days long past. I didn't realize how dusty this was until I handled it!

Thank you for the additional info... I have more questions... :)

- Is the bottom rail guide removable?
- What is the backing on the inside of the tube that the 1/4-20 screws thread into?
- When flown originally, where was the avionics bay placed?
- The tube in the nose cone appears to be a Giant Leap 7.5" tube or coupler. Can you identify the type and size of tube in the nose cone?
- Do you have any other bulkplates, tubes couplers, adpaters, etc... for this size tube?

Thank you!

Thank you for the additional info... I have more questions... :)

- Is the bottom rail guide removable? **Yes, see next answer...

- What is the backing on the inside of the tube that the 1/4-20 screws thread into? **If you look at the 3rd original pic, which is the motor mount, threaded inserts are located in each of the 3/4" thick plates. Thus if the dumbbell is removed, there are simply 4 1/4" holes in the airframe.

- When flown originally, where was the avionics bay placed? **In the nose.

- The tube in the nose cone appears to be a Giant Leap 7.5" tube or coupler. Can you identify the type and size of tube in the nose cone?** the large portion is 7.5" LOC airframe, as I used coupler for the camera bay that never flew. The smaller portion is 4" airframe. THe voide between these tubes and the cone itself was filled with approx 7# urethane.

- Do you have any other bulkplates, tubes couplers, adpaters, etc... for this size tube? **No plates came with it back in the day. You made your own. As far as the motor mount, since it is based on standard 7.5", you can whip up whatever you want.

Thank you!

This plate is NOT permanent, correct?

Correct, it is the upper end of the motor mount dumbbell show in the original 3rd pic. If you pull this "adapter" out, you just have a 7.5" lower half and 8" upper half (approx).

And since I went to take pics of this... the original was a build pic, here is an actual, showing the eyebolts and what not. (It's only been 10 years since this was put away.)
IMG_20161102_160751.jpgIMG_20161102_160727.jpgIMG_20161102_160711.jpg

And I had forgotten... the rear shot has a flat bar at the top... that is a 1.5" x .125 aluminum bar that was going to be the backing, and I decided PDQ that it wouldn't cut the mustard. So went with the inserts in the MMT.

ne0031, just sent you a PM (private message) including my email address. Lets take my other questions offline. Please send me an email at your convenience. Midwest Power is this weekend, so I will respond early next week.

Thank you,

Back