PerfectFlite - still in business?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had several PerfectFlite devices in the past. What makes them so special when compared to other devices that are readily available?

I've had several PerfectFlite devices in the past. What makes them so special when compared to other devices that are readily available?

Nothing else quite captures the feature set, size, reliability, ease of use and built in computer interface at that price point. There are many other great devices and we all use them - the Stratologger CF just happened to hit the exact right mix of features and price that makes it so popular.

My 2 just arrived a few minutes ago also. Fast shipping and USPS didn't even mess it up this time 🙃 I may have ordered 2 more, maybe possibly. I'm going to use them in my 2.6" rockets solo, or 3" rockets with the the RRC2+ I haven't even powered them on yet to know how they compare to the RRC2+ yet.

In my opinion it is functionally equivalent to an RRC2+, but the SLCF had the ability to download the full flight data. That for me is the distinguishing feature compared to similar altimeters (small, cheap, built).

Nothing else quite captures the feature set, size, reliability, ease of use and built in computer interface at that price point. There are many other great devices and we all use them - the Stratologger CF just happened to hit the exact right mix of features and price that makes it so popular.
That's what confuses me. At nearly all the same features (CF has slightly smaller footprint, support for a switch directly, better ADC I think, etc) is the Eggtimer Quantum at $40 vs $70 for the CF. I'm not hating on the CF at all, it looks like a great bit of electronics, but it is nearly vapor-ware with how hard it is to get one (or two). If the cost difference was reversed it would make sense but I'm baffled why they're so in demand when other options are available.

That's what confuses me. At nearly all the same features (CF has slightly smaller footprint, support for a switch directly, better ADC I think, etc) is the Eggtimer Quantum at $40 vs $70 for the CF. I'm not hating on the CF at all, it looks like a great bit of electronics, but it is nearly vapor-ware with how hard it is to get one (or two). If the cost difference was reversed it would make sense but I'm baffled why they're so in demand when other options are available.

Well, to be fair, the "list" price for the CF is $70, but it has always been sold on their store site for $55. I have always bought them direct from PerfectFlite for $55 and never paid more. Not sure why they even list it as $70 since they always sell it at $55 (tax purposes maybe? Who knows, some retail business expert will probably be happy to explain it to me).

I do have EggTimers and think they are awesome and they add some very cool features (like WiFi), however, they come disassembled and you have to construct them. For some people, this is not a big deal. For some people, it is a complete deal breaker. So, at the end of the day, each person has to ask themselves if they want to use an awesome $40 flight computer they have to assemble themselves or an awesome $55 flight computer that is already assembled.

I know the answer for me is: Both. Frankly, I like to fly different computers when flying redundant. I am building out a Darkstar right now that I had to use two RRC3s because that was all I had on-hand right now, but I prefer to use two completely different models in a redundant situation. I love my EggTimers, but I also love having a manufacturer assembled computer on board for redundancy because I probably messed up the soldering somewhere.

Point being, no one needs any SLCFs, but they sure are a nice addition to your available kit when you can get one.

Ah!!! see, I didn't know there was a price difference between the normal site ($70) and the online store perfectflitedirect.com ($55) That does bring them much close to parity and makes much more sense to me. Thanks for pointing that out.

And I'm the same way when I fly redundant electronics. I have a MAWD, HiALT45, ARTS2, Raven2, most of the Egg line... If I go with 2, I pick an Egg and something else.

>>>------>

I think the main reason everyone wants a SLCF is because they are so hard to get.

...just like everything else - Discontinued items, hard to obtain items, banned items, etc... are always highly sought after.

I bet they could raise the price $15 and people would still trip over each other to get one.

The CF is good, but it's not great.

Zeke

>>>------>

I think the main reason everyone wants a SLCF is because they are so hard to get.

...just like everything else - Discontinued items, hard to obtain items, banned items, etc... are always highly sought after.

I bet they could raise the price $15 and people would still trip over each other to get one.

The CF is good, but it's not great.

Zeke

I am not so sure if the CF would be quite so popular at a 27% higher price point. At that price, you get into Altus Metrum territory. You can get an Easy Mini for $80 with almost the same functionality as the SLCF, better analytics and it is an even smaller footprint to boot (the EasyMini has a 25% smaller footprint).

But $55 vs $80 to me is a big deal and it means I don't feel as bad about using an SLCF as a backup to an RRC3 or as a primary in a smaller build where the Easy Mini would add significant cost.

And I do own some EasyMini's - just bought them recently when I couldn't get the SLCFs. Great computers.

price, you get into Altus Metrum...

And I do own some EasyMini's - just bought them recently when I couldn't get the SLCFs. Great computers.

The entire Altus Metrum product line rocks. They believe in open hardware/software as well. I have several of their flight computers. The EasyMini and TeleMini are superb.

Zeke

The only reason I don't buy Eggtimer products is the assembly process. I'm fine soldering two strands of 14g wire together, but circuit boards are beyond my ability. I don't mind paying for preassembled...

The only reason I don't buy Eggtimer products is the assembly process. I'm fine soldering two strands of 14g wire together, but circuit boards are beyond my ability. I don't mind paying for preassembled...

Don't worry about the soldering the Egg Timers.

Connor McGrath at McTronics does a WONDERFUL job assembling Egg Timer kits.

Very reasonable prices and very fast turn around. They are fully tested and ready to go when you get them back.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/eggtimer-rocketry-products-assembly.119859/post-2072392
He has done several kits for me and they all work flawlessly.

Zeke

For me the Stratologgers became a bit of unfinished business.

I went to buy one way back when and they were out of stock. Every time I went to get one they were out of stock. Folks on TRF would post that they were back in stock, so I would jump on the site and they were back out of stock.

:mad:

I acquired several altimeters over time, but the Strat remained elusive. I was determined that one day an SL would be mine...

Finally nailed it.

Two Stratologgers are due to arrive here on Saturday...

>>>------>

Or that they have a MacOS interface. And you don't have to build it by hand. And it's cheap.

But if you know of a DD altimeter that does all of that, please let me know!

Don't worry about the soldering the Egg Timers.

Connor McGrath at McTronics does a WONDERFUL job assembling Egg Timer kits.

Very reasonable prices and very fast turn around. They are fully tested and ready to go when you get them back.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/eggtimer-rocketry-products-assembly.119859/post-2072392
He has done several kits for me and they all work flawlessly.

Zeke

This is great - I was not aware of Connor's service and pricing. Those prices bring the Eggtimer products right on line with the PF prices. And shipping is only $5 - nice! Going to try these guys out - I will gladly pay$15 for the service.

In my opinion it is functionally equivalent to an RRC2+, but the SLCF had the ability to download the full flight data. That for me is the distinguishing feature compared to similar altimeters (small, cheap, built).
Agreed. Emphasis on "BUILT" I believe many folks don't want refuse to have anything to do with box 'o parts.

Last edited:
Agreed. Emphasis on "BUILT" I believe many folks don't want refuse to have anything to do with box 'o parts.

Having the kits built for you is the way to go. You can even ask Cris at EggTimer to ship the kits directly to Connor McGrath at McTronics for assembly. It literally adds 2 - 3 more days to the delivery to your doorstep. You open the box and you have a tested device ready to fly.

In my opinion, the EggTimer products are awesome. The most recent generations of the flight computers have WiFi Access. There is no need to install a proprietary application to program the device. Just point a web browser to the built in web server. This can be done with any wireless device (Windows, Android, Apple device, etc...). You can configure your altimeter from your phone without disassembling your rocket. When it lands, you can rearm the electronics for another flight without having to open your AV Bay. Just add a motor and new charges and you are good to go.

I had never purchased Egg Timers in the past because I knew I would never get around to building them. The kits are relatively easy builds. I have the ability, skill, and tools to do it. The problem is, I never get around to building the kits.

I literally have boxes of partially built kits of various types (clocks, robots, rocketry related items, etc...)

I recommend getting an Eggtimer Quantum, have it built, and give it a try. The WiFi feature is amazing. No need to worry about Android or iOS compatibility.

With WiFi, you can program/arm your rocket over 100 feet away.

I have personal experience with McTronics, but I believe there are at least two other forum members that provide this service too. I can vouch for Connor, however. He has been building kits for 7 years. He gets very good reviews from other forum members.

Check out this Thread:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/eggtimer-rocketry-products-assembly.119859/

Zeke

I haven't tried any of the Eggtimer goodies but I certainly plan to, not just because of the price, but because it looks like fun!

I've never have worked with any surface mounted bits, but I'm a decent hand with a soldering iron and I'm looking forward to a new challenge. Besides, if I make a complete hash of it there aint no one to blame but me!

And they’re sold out again...This reminds me of trying to get tickets to a U2 concert through Ticketmaster (back when going to a live concert was a thing), except you don’t know when the tickets are going to go on sale.

Trip Barber mentioned this evening, during the vNARCON social hour, that Peter Lawall at PerfectFlite is focusing first on altimeters for TARC (Pnut, Firefly), then Stratologgers, then everything else. It's a small operation and I'm just glad to hear they're still at it.

Back