PerfectFlite - still in business?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are not the only one, I've been watching since March. I've emailed and called to no avail. They don't answer the phone and they don't answer email. I've been thinking about sending them snail mail but that would probably end up at south pole. Some folks have been lucky and snagged some but I've missed every time....Good Luck

Check stock often. A few pop up and get snatched up quickly. He can't keep them in stock.

Check stock often. A few pop up and get snatched up quickly. He can't keep them in stock.
I corresponded with them in the last year and they said the same thing. They post stock when they have it and it's gone ASAP. Keep trying (I need 2 myself....)

Pete is a one man show. He makes no promises and makes them available when he gets a few done. He has been through some bumpy times over the past few years so he does what he can.

Bottom line - He makes one heck of a nice altimeter. It is really hard to beat the trifecta of cost, size and functionality he has achieved with the Stratologger CF. I sincerely hope he is doing well and hope, for all our sakes, that he continues to produce these great products. I, along with everyone on this site I bet, mash the refresh button nightly on his site hoping for the magic "Add to Cart" button to pop up!

When he is ready, I can't wait to get a couple more in my inventory :)

Bottom line - He makes one heck of a nice altimeter. It is really hard to beat the trifecta of cost, size and functionality he has achieved with the Stratologger CF. I sincerely hope he is doing well...

And he is a really great guy. I met him as a member of our club years ago. Both Pete an Jeanine are people you would be proud to know.

I reached out to him a year ago and he said he was cutting back on his time due to needing to spend more time with family. He implied he had other people working for him, but if so, that would imply that there would be at least some inventory on a regular basis, yet it seems there hasn't been any lately. StratologgerCF hits the sweet spot of function, price and ease of use. I wish I had a half dozen instead of none (deep sigh).

I reached out to him a year ago and he said he was cutting back on his time due to needing to spend more time with family. He implied he had other people working for him, but if so, that would imply that there would be at least some inventory on a regular basis, yet it seems there hasn't been any lately. StratologgerCF hits the sweet spot of function, price and ease of use. I wish I had a half dozen instead of none (deep sigh).

It is unfortunate that things are tough for them and do really hope 2021 brings a better year for them and everyone. I literally check the Stratologger CF site every single day and there has been no inventory for 5 months now. I used my last one back in November and also wish I could get my hands on more of them. I am using Ravens and MW RRC2L's, but those are getting tough to come by as well. I placed an order for 5 RRC2Ls over a month ago with MW and the order is still posted as "processing". In fact, I have 3 orders in with MW right now and none of them have been fulfilled. I am hoping it is just because of the holiday surge. The RRC2L is about as close to a StratologgerCF that I have found, but it does lack some of the functionality of the Strat, so not an apples-to-apples replacement. The Raven 4 is easy to get and it is an amazing altimeter with a lot of functionality and a bit of a funky mounting/wiring design that allows you to be creative in how you put them in your rocket, but at 3 times the cost of a Strat or RRC2L, it is hard to use them in every project. Using a Raven in a big rocket that costs $500+ is easy to justify, but putting a $160 altimeter in a $100 rocket really stretches a budget.

Yeah, I'm about ready to give up on Perfectflight. I've considered going full on Eggtimer but I've had a bit of an issue with orders and responses to questions there and my soldering skills are still not quite up to snuff. I may have to go Missileworks, but I do not find their manuals easy to follow (deep sigh).

It is unfortunate that things are tough for them and do really hope 2021 brings a better year for them and everyone. I literally check the Stratologger CF site every single day and there has been no inventory for 5 months now. I used my last one back in November and also wish I could get my hands on more of them. I am using Ravens and MW RRC2L's, but those are getting tough to come by as well. I placed an order for 5 RRC2Ls over a month ago with MW and the order is still posted as "processing". In fact, I have 3 orders in with MW right now and none of them have been fulfilled. I am hoping it is just because of the holiday surge. The RRC2L is about as close to a StratologgerCF that I have found, but it does lack some of the functionality of the Strat, so not an apples-to-apples replacement. The Raven 4 is easy to get and it is an amazing altimeter with a lot of functionality and a bit of a funky mounting/wiring design that allows you to be creative in how you put them in your rocket, but at 3 times the cost of a Strat or RRC2L, it is hard to use them in every project. Using a Raven in a big rocket that costs $500+ is easy to justify, but putting a $160 altimeter in a $100 rocket really stretches a budget.
I was conversing with Missile Work's owner the other week. They got hammered with the Holiday order volume. They are working on filling orders and building back their inventory.

Please consider Altus Metrum EasyMini as another alternative. The thing is tiny and will fit in pretty much any AV bay. Full DD funtionality with data recording and download/programming via USB. Smaller than an RRC2 with about the same feature set as a Strato CF. More expensive, but they're in stock.

Please consider Altus Metrum EasyMini as another alternative. The thing is tiny and will fit in pretty much any AV bay. Full DD funtionality with data recording and download/programming via USB. Smaller than an RRC2 with about the same feature set as a Strato CF. More expensive, but they're in stock.

Great point on Altus Metrum. I looked at them a while ago and found their website somewhat confusing and most of their products out of my price range for the projects I was building, but the EasyMini 2.0 does look like a great alt. Small, simple, nice feature set and not too expensive. I am going to get one for the project I am working on now and try it out. Thanks!

I just noticed something on the Perfectflite website. On the left hand side it does have a link for TARC 2021. That had to have been updated fairly recently, so it would seem like there still is somebody minding the shop....

I was conversing with Missile Work's owner the other week. They got hammered with the Holiday order volume. They are working on filling orders and building back their inventory.
I ordered a RRC2L from MW's 2 weeks ago, they shipped it the same day! Of course it took 8 days for USPS to get it too me.

Most of their other current products are in stock and shipping. Stratologgers just seem to be the item where they can't keep up with demand.

There’s a couple of ads, Stratologger CF and FireFly, in this month’s (Jan/Feb 2021) issue of Sport Rocketry, so hopefully that’s a good sign that the PerfectFlite endeavor is still investing in its future. There is no better DD altimeter in my view than the Stratologger CF from the total cost/features/ease-of-use/performance/documentation perspectives. Add my hopes and best wishes that the great PerfectFlite line returns in full to the marketplace soon.
Good skies,
GlueckAuf

That'll happen when only 1 or 2 are made available at a time.
I think you're severely underestimating the number they make available. Why would they be producing stratologgers in lower quantity than their other products? That would make no sense. The problem is just that everyone wants stratologgers. People on this thread have admitted to refreshing the perfectflite site daily. With that level of demand it's not really surprising they can't keep up considering they're such a small business.

Does it beep out the altitude after the flight or do you have to hook it to a computer to see how high it flew?

Indeed, the EasyMini comes close, though pricey. Unfortunately I found the beeper to be so darn faint within the thick-skinned Blue Tube rockets I build that it was not safely usable. (When I inquired, Altus Metrum said it sourced the loudest beeper available that would operate on a 3.7 volt,1S LiPo.)
Until Stratologger CFs become fully available again, the new Missile Works RRC2L is the best fallback for my rockets. If the MW RRC2L only had the post-flight data and graph file download that is the CF’s forte, it would equal the PerfectFlite product in my view.

Last edited:
Does it beep out the altitude after the flight or do you have to hook it to a computer to see how high it flew?

Yep, it beeps out the altitude, and I think I recell you can set it to beep other things.
That being said, I recommend the data cable, because data is cool

There's probably a severe shortage of one or more of the parts. That's why Strattologger CF's are only a trickle.

Get hold one of the companies that can turn these things out in quantity, raise the price a little and get ahead of the curve. My company has a small power board that goes into one of our products and we get the board in lots of 200 at a time so it can be done. You are not serving a couple of million people you are proving a product to a niche hobby that is not that large and or some schools. But even so not answering the phone or emails for months or not even coming on here and posting that they are still in business and please bear with them is just bad customer service. At least come on here and tell folks that the customer loyalty is appreciated. Don't depend on your reputation to get you by when you are snubbing your customers. Being good people and so on may be good for a lot of things but in the business/customer relationship it only goes so far. It's great that some folks think very highly of the product and will wait. I tried for almost 8 months and gave up finally decided to go with MW and FlightSketch. Hope they come back the CF is a great piece of electronics :)

I have used nothing but the Stratoluggers since getting into high power but I need more and cant get them and cant get any info from perfect flight so I just ordered 2 easy minis from Altus Metrum. Already heard from them that they would be shipped today. We shall see how they work.

I believe that this question is related to, although somewhat distantly so, to the original thread. I 'm wondering if the original Stratologger SL-100 is in any manner different from the newer CF version, in terms of function? I understand the size difference.
I have two of the original full size products but am wondering if I'm missing any improvements in function or variety of information gathering by continuing to use them rather than the newer CF platform. I don't have the older information sheets to compare.
Thank you very much to any and all that can help.

I believe that this question is related to, although somewhat distantly so, to the original thread. I 'm wondering if the original Stratologger SL-100 is in any manner different from the newer CF version, in terms of function?
I have both and there’s no difference other than size. Both have same programmable features. The only possible difference is you can add an LED to the CF. Not sure if SL100 allows that option.

I believe that this question is related to, although somewhat distantly so, to the original thread. I 'm wondering if the original Stratologger SL-100 is in any manner different from the newer CF version, in terms of function? I understand the size difference.
I have two of the original full size products but am wondering if I'm missing any improvements in function or variety of information gathering by continuing to use them rather than the newer CF platform. I don't have the older information sheets to compare.
Thank you very much to any and all that can help.

Looks to me like the differences are:

Flight recording time: SL100 - over 9 min, CF - over 18 min
Output Current: SL100 - 10amps, CF - 5amps
Number of flights stored in memory: SL100 stored 31, the CF stores 16

Spec Sheets below:

SL100:

Specifications

• Power: 4V – 16V, nominal 9 volt battery
  • Current consumption:1.5 ma
  • Output current: Do not exceed 10 amperes (actual current is battery dependent)
  • Output “on” time: 1.0 second
  • Launch detect: 160' to 300' AGL, default 160'
  • Main deploy altitude: 100' AGL to 9,999' AGL
  • Maximum altitude: 100,000' MSL
  • Altitude resolution:
    • 1’ up to 38,000' MSL
    • < 2' to 52,000' MSL
    • < 5' to 72,000' MSL
  • Analog-Digital Convert: 24 bit Sigma Delta
  • Calibration accuracy: +/- 0.05% typical
  • Meas. precision: +/- (0.1% reading + 1 foot) typical
  • Flight data logged: Altitude, temperature, battery voltage
  • Number flights stored: 31
  • Recording time/flight: Over 9 minutes
  • Sample rate: 20 samples per second
  • Operational temp.: -40C to +85C (-40F to +185F)
  • Dimensions: 2.75"L x 0.9"W x 0.5"H
  • Weight: 0.45 oz.
Features
  • Works to 100,000 feet MSL, audibly reports peak altitude and maximum velocity after flight.
  • Stores 31 flights of 9 minutes each (altitude, temperature, and battery voltage at 20 samples per second) for download to a computer with the optional DT4U USB interface. Data are preserved with power off.
  • Deploys drogue and main chutes with audible ematch continuity check.
  • Outputs capable of 10A current for 1 full second to allow use with nearly any ematch or ematch substitute. Reverse polarity protection prevents spontaneous firing if battery is connected backwards.
  • Main chute deployment altitude is adjustable from 100 feet to 9,999 feet in 1 foot increments. 9 presets allow for quick change in the field.
  • No mach delay necessary for mach+ flights: Automatic MachLock assures proper operation with any flight.
  • Brownout protection will tolerate 3 second power loss in flight – no need for multiple batteries.
  • Precision sensor & 24 bit ADC yield superb 0.1% accuracy.
  • Built-in voltmeter reports battery voltage on powerup – no more guessing about battery condition.
  • Audio connector for optional amplified external beeper or LED.
  • Post flight locator siren aids in locating your rocket. Especially useful when combined with amplified external beeper.
  • Confusion-free individual terminal blocks – unreliable multiple wires per terminal are not necessary.
  • Highly resistant to false trigger from wind gusts; tested in 100+ MPH winds!
  • Selectable apogee delay for dual altimeter setups prevents overpressure from simultaneous charge firing.
  • Low power design runs for weeks on a standard 9V alkaline battery. Post-flight locator siren will run for months, giving you multiple “second chances” to find a lost rocket.
  • Telemetry output for real-time data in flight with your RF link.
  • Rugged SMD construction, stringent QC testing, and internal self-diagnostics assure uncompromising reliability.
  • Wide operating temperature range of -40F to +185F.
  • Measures just 2.75"L x 0.9"W x 0.5"H, fits 24mm tube, weighs just 0.45 oz.
  • Backed by full three year warranty.
CF

Specifications

• Power: 4V – 16V, nominal 9 volt battery
  • Current consumption: 1.5 ma
  • Output current: Do not exceed 5 amperes (actual current is battery dependent)
  • Output “on” time: 1.0 second
  • Launch detect: 160' to 300' AGL, default 160'
  • Main deploy altitude: 100' AGL to 9,999' AGL
  • Maximum altitude: 100,000' MSL
  • Altitude resolution:
    • 1' up to 38,000' MSL
    • < 2' to 52,000' MSL
    • < 5' to 72,000' MSL
  • Analog-Digital Convert: 24 bit Sigma Delta
  • Calibration accuracy: +/- 0.05% typical
  • Meas. precision: +/- (0.1% reading + 1 foot) typical
  • Flight data logged: Altitude, temperature, battery voltage
  • Number flights stored: 16
  • Recording time/flight: Over 18 minutes
  • Sample rate: 20 samples per second
  • Operational temp.: -40C to +85C (-40F to +185F)
  • Dimensions: 2.0"L x 0.84"W x 0.5"H
  • Weight: 0.38 oz.
Features
  • Works to 100,000 feet MSL, audibly reports peak altitude and maximum velocity after flight.
  • Stores 16 flights of 18 minutes each (altitude, temperature, and battery voltage at 20 samples per second) for download to a computer with the optional DT4U USB interface. Data are preserved with power off.
  • Deploys drogue and main chutes with audible ematch continuity check.
  • Outputs capable of 5A current for 1 full second to allow use with nearly any ematch or ematch substitute. Reverse polarity protection prevents spontaneous firing if battery is connected backwards.
  • Main chute deployment altitude is adjustable from 100 feet to 9,999 feet in 1 foot increments. 9 presets allow for quick change in the field.
  • No mach delay necessary for mach+ flights: Automatic MachLock assures proper operation with any flight.
  • Brownout protection will tolerate 2 second power loss in flight – no need for multiple batteries.
  • Precision sensor & 24 bit ADC yield superb 0.1% accuracy.
  • Built-in voltmeter reports battery voltage on powerup – no more guessing about battery condition.
  • Audio connector for optional amplified external beeper or LED.
  • Post flight locator siren aids in locating your rocket.
  • Confusion-free individual terminal blocks – unreliable multiple wires per terminal are not necessary. Dedicated switch terminal block eliminates the need for splicing switch into battery wire.
  • Highly resistant to false trigger from wind gusts; tested in 100+ MPH winds!
  • Selectable apogee delay for dual altimeter setups prevents overpressure from simultaneous charge firing.
  • Low power design runs for weeks on a standard 9V alkaline battery. Post-flight locator siren will run for months, giving you multiple “second chances” to find a lost rocket.
  • Telemetry output for real-time data in flight with your RF link.
  • Rugged SMD construction, stringent QC testing, and internal self-diagnostics assure uncompromising reliability.
  • Wide operating temperature range of -40F to +185F.
  • Measures just 2.0"L x 0.84"W x 0.5"H, fits 24mm tube, weighs just 0.38 oz.
  • Backed by full three year warranty.

I've been checking the Perfectflight Direct store for about two years hoping to get a Firefly field data display. No luck. I have a CF and would like to get another one. No luck. They advertise in Sport Rocketry regularly but don't have any product (or very little).

Back