Perfectflite Software for Mac

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scschulte

Reaction score
I've been trying to get an upgraded version of Perfecflite Data software for Mac. The current 2017 version is 32 bit and all Macs running 10.15 Catalina and 10.16 Big Sur (coming-out in Oct 2020) need 64 bit programs. I've been writing to Perfectflite since July this year to inquire about an update-- but no reply. If anyone knows anything here, please reply! Thanks very much! Steve Monday 28 September 2020

Some additional information: This is for my StratoLoggerCF altimeters. Perfectflite Datacap orks great on a Mac running 10.14.6 (Mojave) or earlier, but being 32 bit it will not run on Macs running 10.15 and later. Thanks, Steve

I have the same issue. I emailed them 4 times, not a single response. I finally bought a $99 referb windows desktop from Amazon for this and a couple of other things I need windows for (3D printing). Extremely disappointed they have not been able to update the software. I think there are some personal issues that have kept production limited for them.

Thanks for your reply, roytyson. I heard from the owner of Perfectflite directly in mid-July that there had been some personal issues so I held-off writing until mid-Sept this year. But really nothing so I may try to telephone them. I also have a missileworks altimeter but believe they only have Windows software - nothing for Mac. And mine is an RRC2 -- I don't think that has a data-out port, you have to have an RRC3 to download data… I THINK - I'm not 100% sure of this.

I'll post back if I learn anything and hope someone hears back from PerfectFlite with some news & posts here. I have had so much positive successful flights with my StratoLoggerCF -- including the 25th flight of my PML Belgian Flag Endeavour - now extended to about 93" tall and 10 lbs in weight. First flight was Oct 2009 -- here's a link to the on-board camera video of Flight 25 (hope I'm not going too much off-topic here!): https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D3372136_09724200_798582

Steve on Monday 28 September 2020

Well it seems there are just 2 of us with this issue. I thought a lot of people used the Stratologger CF but perhaps all users are on Windows… I'll try to reach Perfectflite on the phone later today, Wednesday 30 September 2020. I don't think this is a top priority for them however…

Wednesday 30 September 2020 Steve

Mac user here. All intel Macs can run Windows via Bootcamp or with a VM. I've used both methods to run the MissileWorks Windows only software for the RRC3. It's not ideal, but it gets the job done. I would assume the same would work for the Pefectflight software. You don't even need to purchase a Windows licence. You can install Windows without a license and it will run fine. It just restricts you from being able to customize the theme, and will display a warning on the screen that you can't get rid of, but none of the actual functionality of the OS is lost.

Mac user here. All intel Macs can run Windows via Bootcamp or with a VM. I've used both methods to run the MissileWorks Windows only software for the RRC3. It's not ideal, but it gets the job done. I would assume the same would work for the Pefectflight software. You don't even need to purchase a Windows licence. You can install Windows without a license and it will run fine. It just restricts you from being able to customize the theme, and will display a warning on the screen that you can't get rid of, but none of the actual functionality of the OS is lost.
Thanks VERY MUCH!! I had been looking into doing that via Bootcamp but was not certain where to get a copy of Windows to use on Bootcamp -- any information on that much appreciated! Wait, I found a site-- not sure if I need Windows 10 "32 bit" or Windows 10 "64 bit" so I've downloaded both. Now to get Bootcamp running - I haven't used that in years……… I see Bootcamp Assistant in my utilities folder on my Mac Mini-2018 model -- I think I can (hopefully) figure out how to install it on a ?? (20 gb? 30 gb??) partition… Let's see! Thanks again!

Sure I think we'd all prefer having Mac Apps for Perfectflite and MissileWorks -- but Bootcamp could be the answer here. Really appreciate it.

BTW: I did call Perfectflite-- it went right to voice-mail and within 10 seconds before I could say much the call was dropped. So I'm not going to call again right now-- I think they are busy with some other more important issues.

Regards,

Steve on Wednesday 30 September 2020

Thanks VERY MUCH!! I had been looking into doing that via Bootcamp but was not certain where to get a copy of Windows to use on Bootcamp -- any information on that much appreciated! Wait, I found a site-- not sure if I need Windows 10 "32 bit" or Windows 10 "64 bit" so I've downloaded both. Now to get Bootcamp running - I haven't used that in years……… I see Bootcamp Assistant in my utilities folder on my Mac Mini-2018 model -- I think I can (hopefully) figure out how to install it on a ?? (20 gb? 30 gb??) partition… Let's see! Thanks again!

Sure I think we'd all prefer having Mac Apps for Perfectflite and MissileWorks -- but Bootcamp could be the answer here. Really appreciate it.

BTW: I did call Perfectflite-- it went right to voice-mail and within 10 seconds before I could say much the call was dropped. So I'm not going to call again right now-- I think they are busy with some other more important issues.

Regards,

Steve on Wednesday 30 September 2020
Sounds like you are on the right track. You want an ISO file. Incase that is not what you've downloaded, you can download the Windows 10 ISO file from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10ISO

You'll be wanting the 64 bit version. Just follow the instructions provided by the Bootcamp installer. I would recommend 45-50 GB minimum. Once installed, you'll likely have to do the initial Windows 10 setup without connecting to your internet. Once you've finished initial setup, a utility should automatically launch to install the necessary drivers for Windows to be able to use the wifi card and provide support for using the Apple accessories etc.

Last edited:
I use Bootcamp at my training company so I'm very familiar with it. It allows me to train students on either Mac or Windows OS without having to have 2 computers. However, having to reboot to run a very simple rocket utility is a huge PITA. Not to mention you lose a significant amount of disk space and now have to deal with Windows updates, whether you want to or not. (Unless you are willing to jump through yet another set of hoops.) Honestly, a better solution would be to find an unused Windows laptop from a friend or family member and use that. It could literally be running Windows XP and would be fine (as long as you don't use it for anything else).

Of course the real answer is to get vendors to update their software to be compatible with modern OS'es. And it would be even better if all vendors had both Mac and Windows software.

Tony

I use Bootcamp at my training company so I'm very familiar with it. It allows me to train students on either Mac or Windows OS without having to have 2 computers. However, having to reboot to run a very simple rocket utility is a huge PITA. Not to mention you lose a significant amount of disk space and now have to deal with Windows updates, whether you want to or not. (Unless you are willing to jump through yet another set of hoops.) Honestly, a better solution would be to find an unused Windows laptop from a friend or family member and use that. It could literally be running Windows XP and would be fine (as long as you don't use it for anything else).

Of course the real answer is to get vendors to update their software to be compatible with modern OS'es. And it would be even better if all vendors had both Mac and Windows software.

Tony

Agreed. I'd say for small programs like these rocket utilities though, the best current solution is to use a Windows VM. I use Parallels, and it has something called coherence mode that allows me to use Windows apps on my Mac desktop (and things like copy/paste work seamlessly between the Windows and Mac apps). You can also have the VM installed on an external drive so it doesn't eat into your internal disk space. Only thing is Parallels is a bit pricy, but I use it for school so that is why I have it. Performance is decent even on my 2015 dual core i5 MacBook pro.

With Apple soon to transition to their own silicon architecture, VMs will soon be the only option. Hopefully this will give incentive to developers to create a dedicated Mac app (but I'm not holding my breath).

I will tell you that virtualization might be on its last leg on the MAC. The next generation due this winter will not operate on an Intel processor.

I will tell you that virtualization might be on its last leg on the MAC. The next generation due this winter will not operate on an Intel processor.
While Apple is introducing their own silicon, Intel Macs aren't going away - I expect my 2018 MacBook Pro to last many years and it has an Intel processor. And it is likely that Apple will continue with Intel processors along side its in-house silicon for a number of years. From the Apple announcement: "Apple will continue to support and release new versions of macOS for Intel-based Macs for years to come, and has exciting new Intel-based Macs in development." And of course Bootcamp isn't virtualization, it's running Windows natively on the hardware.

But more importantly, Apple has already stated Parallels, one of the companies that makes virtualization software for the Mac, is already at work on a version that will run on the new silicon:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/arm-based-macs-wont-support-boot-camp-apple-confirms
Microsoft also has an ARM based version of Windows 10, so it is possible.

But still, the real answer is vendors need to keep their software updated or not advertise that they have a MacOS version available.

Tony

Last edited:
While Apple is introducing their own silicon, Intel Macs aren't going away - I expect my 2018 MacBook Pro to last many years and it has an Intel processor. And it is likely that Apple will continue with Intel processors along side its in-house silicon for a number of years. From the Apple announcement: "Apple will continue to support and release new versions of macOS for Intel-based Macs for years to come, and has exciting new Intel-based Macs in development." And of course Bootcamp isn't virtualization, it's running Windows natively on the hardware.

But more importantly, Apple has already stated Parallels, one of the companies that makes virtualization software for the Mac, is already at work on a version that will run on the new silicon:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/arm-based-macs-wont-support-boot-camp-apple-confirms
Microsoft also has an ARM based version of Windows 10, so it is possible.

But still, the real answer is vendors need to keep their software updated or not advertise that they have a MacOS version available.

Tony

That is good news. I just bought a new mac.

If windows updates are an issue then run windows 7 in the VM. Since it is end of life updates are few and far between. As long as you are careful what you do in it there really isn't much of a security concern.

On the whole ARM transition I would be surprised if the mac pro got the new chipset anytime soon, power users will still likely need to run virtualised software. For that reason alone I think Apple will support it for quite a while.

*this post was written on a beige g3 powermac*

The issue with the PerfectFlite software is that it's 32 bit, and Apple stopped supporting 32-bit applications two major OS revisions ago, after warning that it was coming for one or two more.

As has been noted with the supply of hardware, it seems things are kind of tenuous at PerfectFlite, which explains why updating the application (and I have no idea how hard or easy it would be to create a 64-bit version of the existing software) hasn't been a priority. I do wish they would do the update, though.

I need to look more closely at virtualization, but I do have a cheap Windows 10 laptop I use for hobby stuff. At least PerfectFlite (and Altus Metrum) have offered Mac options.

Thanks for all the information, everyone! As a "MacOnly since 1989" kinda guy I certainly have run a few windows computers in my time and even DOS on 8" floppies in 1983… (And floppy they were!) -- but I hope PerfectFlite can update to 64-bit --- wishing them well and really think their altimeters are great!

Steve on Monday 12 October 2020

Well 2 years later and still no 64 bit Perfectflite DataCap program available. Worse-- I now can't get any of my 3 Stratologger CF's to connect to my Mac (the one running macOS 10.14.6 - Mojave). So very disappointing as a lot of data from the last 12 flights is just not available to me. Could be the cables but I've tried lots of different ones and configurations-- Well at least I get the beeps for apogee and highest speed… Stephen on Sunday 16 October 2022

Well 2 years later and still no 64 bit Perfectflite DataCap program available. Worse-- I now can't get any of my 3 Stratologger CF's to connect to my Mac (the one running macOS 10.14.6 - Mojave). So very disappointing as a lot of data from the last 12 flights is just not available to me. Could be the cables but I've tried lots of different ones and configurations-- Well at least I get the beeps for apogee and highest speed… Stephen on Sunday 16 October 2022
I got the PC version of PerfectFlite DataCap to run in Crossover for Mac, though I think it was important that I already had the drivers for the USB to serial chip in the data cable installed for running the Mac version. I have yet to go to a 64-bit only version of MacOS on my MacBook Pro, but this was the item that was most strongly holding me back. Now that my wife has a brand new M2 MacBook Air in the family, I’m wanting more than ever to at least get my MacOS up to date on my Mac (which is 6 years old) If not get my own M2 machine. My goodness it’s fast!

Hi, I know virtually nothing about all of this but I work at a high school and one of my students said they are needing the 64 bit version for Mac for their Stratologger CF. So if they never supply this version - which looks probable - are there alternatives to the Stratologger CFs that we could look into purchasing? I'm very unfamiliar with all of this.

Hi, I know virtually nothing about all of this but I work at a high school and one of my students said they are needing the 64 bit version for Mac for their Stratologger CF. So if they never supply this version - which looks probable - are there alternatives to the Stratologger CFs that we could look into purchasing? I'm very unfamiliar with all of this.
Plug-and-play altimeters: https://www.missileworks.com/

To save money if any of your students are good at soldering (these come as kits requiring assembly): http://eggtimerrocketry.com/

I can help you pick out a specific product if you can tell me what the requirements are.

I've found my Perfectflite DataCap software does NOT work on my desktop with Win 11. When I use it on my old laptop with Win 10, it works perfectly.

Looks like it's not just the MAC users that are running into issues with Perfectflite not updating software.

I have always wondered why someone has not developed a universal product. It just makes so much sense.

Plug-and-play altimeters: https://www.missileworks.com/

To save money if any of your students are good at soldering (these come as kits requiring assembly): http://eggtimerrocketry.com/

I can help you pick out a specific product if you can tell me what the requirements are.
Amazing, thank you. I will get more info from the Rockets teacher and/or students and get back with you. I would think something plug-and-play would be best; not sure about their soldering skills! The only thing I know so far is it needs to be able to work with a newer Mac running Ventura, and they use Rocksim as well.

Thank you for your help! So far I know it needs to be compatible with Macs, be able to tell the altitude, and deploy two parachutes.
Does it just need to report the maximum altitude, or do you need a complete altitude vs. time graph of the entire flight?

Would you be open to something that you didn't need to connect to a laptop at all? I've been going through a few different products and am really not seeing anything that says it's compatible with macs.

Last edited:
I now have an altusmetrum which I hope to launch later this year. Any UpDates on the Stratologger CF Perfectflite software for Mac would be appreciated - Thanks.

Steve Monday 24 April 2023

Back