PerfectFlite Dead or Out of Business?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCTex

Reaction score
I had an connection issue with a StratologgerCF and asked their help. PerfectFlite asked for some pictures of the board, I shared them, then they went silent. That was 12/22/2020. I've sent three emails over that were met with silence. Anyone else having this issue? Its really the final straw for me since they don't seem to even keep them in stock. I'm looking into Apogees from Eggtimer rocketry but would like to hear recommendations from others. This is a huge disappointment since I've used PerfectFlite exclusively for 7 years.

Just bought two Stratologgers, so they are still around. I have a feeling the guy is tired of getting "When will they be in stock?" emails.

As for recommendations, I love my Featherweight Raven. Missileworks is also good if you're on more of a budget.

I'm a FIRM believer of "if it is not in stock, it does not exist & should not be sold or advertised for sale". Flightsketch comes to mind - love the product, but if you can't get it, what good is it?
Twenty-five FS Minis in stock right now, if you bother to look....

I had an connection issue with a StratologgerCF and asked their help. PerfectFlite asked for some pictures of the board, I shared them, then they went silent. That was 12/22/2020. I've sent three emails over that were met with silence. Anyone else having this issue? Its really the final straw for me since they don't seem to even keep them in stock. I'm looking into Apogees from Eggtimer rocketry but would like to hear recommendations from others. This is a huge disappointment since I've used PerfectFlite exclusively for 7 years.
I'd be less concerned about what the have in stock and very, very concerned about potentially crappy customer service if a valid complaint went unaddressed for 2 months and 3 email attempts. Did you try phoning? (603) 735-5994.

I thought only Firefox pulled that crap these days.

The last time I needed support from perfectflight it took two emails, but they did get back to me. Remember, this is not his full time project. Things are just a little strange still. Send another email or try the phone #. Good -luck. I have no connection to Perfectflight, but I do fly their altimeters. I also fly altimeters sold by others. Greg Olson

I'm a FIRM believer of "if it is not in stock, it does not exist & should not be sold or advertised for sale". Flightsketch comes to mind - love the product, but if you can't get it, what good is it?

This right here was my gripe with another vendor recently.........I’m hoping they have listened and will learn, and make their name even better.

So I've been frustrated by these threads, Since you mentioned FlightSketch, here's my take:

#1 - Nobody in this business is trying to get rich. Most of us are just trying to give something back to the hobby we love for as long as we can sustain it.

#2 - PerfectFlite also supports ~5000 students every year as the sole-source for altimeters for TARC competition. The FireFly is always available and it's good to see that they are giving priority to what is likely the future of our hobby.

#3 - Demand reflects quality. People want StratoLoggers for good reason & they are consistently shipping what is available. It pays to support products and companies that manufacture in the US and test by hand.

#4 - Global electronics shortage - We would love to be shipping several new products right now! Unfortunately Bosch Sensortec is still giving us dates ~5/21 and U-Blox is even farther out ~7/30. Can't do much about that, the last few years have been brutal on supply chains. We'll be lucky if they hit these dates.

So should the StratoLogger be discontinued? - No. Should we pull our product pages for upcoming releases? - No. We've gotten a tremendous amount of useful feedback that has directly influenced the products we will release. Sure it's frustrating you still can't buy one, but the process will ultimately benefit everyone.

Bottom line is it takes a lot to support even a simple vendor storefront. Hopefully you realize that. Innovating and bringing new products to market is even harder, especially today.

Russ Parrish - FlightSketch

So I've been frustrated by these threads, Since you mentioned FlightSketch, here's my take:

#1 - Nobody in this business is trying to get rich. Most of us are just trying to give something back to the hobby we love for as long as we can sustain it.

#2 - PerfectFlite also supports ~5000 students every year as the sole-source for altimeters for TARC competition. The FireFly is always available and it's good to see that they are giving priority to what is likely the future of our hobby.

#3 - Demand reflects quality. People want StratoLoggers for good reason & they are consistently shipping what is available. It pays to support products and companies that manufacture in the US and test by hand.

#4 - Global electronics shortage - We would love to be shipping several new products right now! Unfortunately Bosch Sensortec is still giving us dates ~5/21 and U-Blox is even farther out ~7/30. Can't do much about that, the last few years have been brutal on supply chains. We'll be lucky if they hit these dates.

So should the StratoLogger be discontinued? - No. Should we pull our product pages for upcoming releases? - No. We've gotten a tremendous amount of useful feedback that has directly influenced the products we will release. Sure it's frustrating you still can't buy one, but the process will ultimately benefit everyone.

Bottom line is it takes a lot to support even a simple vendor storefront. Hopefully you realize that. Innovating and bringing new products to market is even harder, especially today.

Russ Parrish - FlightSketch
Thanks for posting Russ. I am relatively new to rocketry electronics and learning a great deal. After seeing your post I went to your website and purchased a FlightSketch Mini. Cannot wait to try it out. Thanks for what you do. Have a nice day.

Why buy them if they give you no customer support when you have problems or questions.

People like me who have a long history of using PF products are more frustrated with supply, not service. The PF units are rock-solid, and documentation is excellent, so the need to call them for customer support is minimal. Other electronics vendors have poor documentation, or are full of EE jargon, such that it is necessary to call them or search this forum for answers.

At least PF is honest about what they have in stock.

I had the same issue. I sent them a picture and did not get a response.

Will maybe I got screwed. When I have tried to order before if there was no stock it wouldn't let me order.
There has to be inventory to place an order. If they took orders without inventory their backlog would be months long, which would be worse than not being able to order. At least this way, when you place an order you know you'll get it within a week.

They post new inventory when they have it. It's catch as catch can.

.................They post new inventory when they have it. It's catch as catch can.

True enough.
REMEMBER! Peter is a one man band and every item he sells has been designed, made, programmed, calibrated, and tested by him.
So patience is a virtue in this regard and is rewarded with a quality product.
Absolutely no affiliation with PerfectFlite. Just a very happy and loyal customer.
Cheers,
Mark
(recent recipient of 2 CF's)

So patience is a virtue in this regard and is rewarded with a quality product.
I've been checking the page near daily for almost a month now with no stock listed. If it wasn't for Crossfire's post I might not have known they were back in stock for a short period of time.
Historically I ordered 2 without issue and that order was filled. Unfortunately I seem to be one of the few people who've deaded 2 Stratologger CF units due to sub-optimal flights. I might need to just bite the bullet and grab another Raven instead. At least I know I can land one of those.

I've been checking the page near daily for almost a month ...........................
You need to check at US times. Typically these come available towards the end of the week and batches are usually snapped up in 30 minutes.
Be alert. The world needs more lerts.
Cheers

I saw when they had 2 in stock yesterday. I tried to order 1 but it kept giving me a shipping error, saying it could not ship to my address. I tried 3 different addresses and got the same error every time??? Anyone have this issue before?

Anyone have this issue before?
Yes, lots of issues with ordering some items like the CF from Perfectflite. The altimeters work great, the ordering is a pain. There have been times where the CF shows stock but can't be ordered. I don't know why. Many people are frustrated with trying to obtain altimeters for their projects. You are just seeing a few that are on TRF, but there are many more.
The Raven works great and there's an expansion board available from Additive Aerospace because the Raven wiring is a bit different for connections. And, as previously mentioned, it is more expensive. And, the expansion board occasionally is out of stock for the Raven too.

I think either Perfectflite needs to ramp up production or eventually someone is going to take advantage of this void and fill it. Perfectflite is risking that, and many people may never go back. (Loyalty can be a fragile thing.) That's the way it goes!

Perfectflite is risking that, and many people may never go back. (Loyalty can be a fragile thing.)
They haven't lost me yet. I am still using my MAWD from years ago. I trust it more than any altimeter I have had. As long as they keep making solid product I will keep "trying" to purchase them.

My Raven V4 is great, but I am wanting to get into two stage flying and want some more economical backups. I will keep trying PF for a bit, if I am not able to get one before I need it, ill go with another.

Ps, the Raven is also currently out of stock :questions:, but I know they are easier to get.

Back