Perfect launch rod holder for $2.77 :)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimlock3000

Reaction score
I have had a hard time finding a good spot to put the 4ft steel rod I am using as a launch rod. Seemed like no matter what I did, something would bang into it within a couple days. I purchased another 3/16in rod today to use with larger rockets, so I needed a solution before I had two rods getting kicked around my apartment. I read about people using PVC tubes to keep their launch rods from rusting and figured it would be a good holder too. I was not quite sure how it all went together so I gave it a shot and here is what I did:

3/4in screw on cap:

p1.jpg

3/4in closed cap (unthreaded):

p2.jpg

3/4in screw fitting adapter:

p3.jpg

Now add this to a section of 3/4in PVC pipe and here are the results:

p4.jpg

The fittings were 19 cents, 20 cents, and 79 cents. 10 feet of 3/4in PVC is only $1.59 for a total of $2.77 + tax at Home Depot. You can even have Home Depot cut the PVC for you. I cut the PVC myself to be a perfect match to my 4ft rods so I still have about 6ft of pipe leftover. Then I used a little 5 minute epoxy to hold the ends on. Hope someone else finds this useful, it is really cheap and should last a while, while helping the rods last longer too.

Grimlock,

Thanks for the good idea. My launch rods are all sitting out in the garage, rusting. :(

Good idea!

I ordered a couple of Stainles rods from BMI CAD and they came in a thick, HEAVY cardboard (almost particle board) tube about 1" in diameter. I've been using it, with a duct tape flap for a cap.

Your idea is cleaner / nicer. And cheap enough too!

I did something similar, but was able to get a piece of pre-cut piping from Home Depot that was already 4-foot in length. The ends were pre-threaded, and the end caps fit right on, with about 1 inch to spare.

My only concern with the idea is about moisture in the tubing - once it's in there, it's gonna rust straight through my rods in nothin' flat!

WW

Clean the rods and spray a little WD40 or some 3 in 1 oil into the tube after you use them, should have no trouble with rusting.

Don't forget that the dessicant needs to be 'refreshed' periodically by gently toasting (about 125-150 degrees F) in your oven for an hour to drive out whatever moisture is accumulated. You probably only need to do this treatment once every six months or so, maybe more often if you live in a high-humidity environment or access your launch rods often. The dessicant is reusable indefinitely this way.
Any of you chemistry experts out there have other tips on how to rejuvenate these little bags of dessicant?

Thats a good idea
silica gel would do the trick, coating them with oil will work too:)

Works great for 6' rods also, 1-1/2" PVC pipe and fitting make great rod stroage tube for 3, 4 and 6 foot rods, Rails and other stuff. you can strap hinges to the outside and permanently attach the Rod tube to your club rack type launcher so the are never forgotten again;) sorry I don't have a better pic of the rach attachment method.

I actually started off with 1.5in pipe and fittings to use as the rod holder. Then I got home and it was quickly obvious that the 1.5in pipe was really overkill for two small 4ft rods of 1/8 and 3/16in diameter :D The 3/4in pipe is a much better fit and alot easier to manage. The 3/4in stuff is way cheaper to, the 1.5in parts were almost $6 ;)

About 8 years ago, I bought the last 1/8" rod they had at the LHS. They were in those thick cardboard tube type holders and the lady was ever so happy to let me take the holder with me!

As for the rust - I hit mine with WD-40 before and after each launch and I haven't had a bit of trouble.

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.JonRocket.com

Originally posted by grimlock3000
I read about people using PVC tubes to keep their launch rods from rusting and figured it would be a good holder too. I was not quite sure how it all went together so I gave it a shot and here is what I did:

3/4in screw on cap:

3/4in closed cap (unthreaded):

3/4in screw fitting adapter:

Now add this to a section of 3/4in PVC pipe and here are the results:

The fittings were 19 cents, 20 cents, and 79 cents. 10 feet of 3/4in PVC is only $1.59 for a total of $2.77 + tax at Home Depot. You can even have Home Depot cut the PVC for you. I cut the PVC myself to be a perfect match to my 4ft rods so I still have about 6ft of pipe leftover. Then I used a little 5 minute epoxy to hold the ends on. Hope someone else finds this useful, it is really cheap and should last a while, while helping the rods last longer too.
The epoxy will almost certainly turn loose eventually, especially if you drop the tube or twist too hard. When tht happens PVC cement is relatively cheap too and will hold it forever.

I use the trim at the top of the 48" entryway into the dining room. Rods lie up there out of sight, A/C in the summer, heat in the winter, no rust. Another spot is in the laundry room under the cabinets over the washer and dryer. Cup hooks under the cabinets every foot do a good job. 6 Footers will stand up against door trim with a launch lug at the top of the trim and at the bottom. Choose your doorway carefully and no one will know its there. Not to mention its super cheap, if not free.

Dennis

Ooh, this thread came back from the dead. I updated the pic links if anyone wants to see this.

PVC cement would be a better idea than the epoxy, it would also almost doubled the cost the the holder, so I just used what I had in the rocket box already.

I made a similar holder with the PVC pipe. Best thing I ever did. Took all of 20 minutes to make.

Well shoot! Y'all don't need any PVC cement if you just buy the pipe that is pre-threaded on the ends and the screw-on caps. I got a nice 4-foot piece and 2 end caps and that was it! And it doubled as a launcher last month for my friend's Chinese Fire Arrow by unscrewing the caps and fitting the pipe over a regular launch rod.

WW

I put mine together the other day, Super cheep and works great. I put a spray of WD-40 inside the tube and the rods are now nice and safe from the S Florida humidity.

Dan

Back