PEPP 1 Aeroshell REDUX

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There were also places where the trusses extended just a bit too far. These were trimmed down with a sanding drum on a Dremel.

shroud-21.jpg

I really detest the ragged appearance near the apex due to my trimming of the shroud.

shroud-22.jpg

shroud-23.jpg

I decided to try an idea that seemed to work with my Redstone fins. I decided to use for Bondo putty to fix things up.

I started small, just putting enough into the crevasses to get started.

filler-4.jpg

filler-5.jpg

The putty was allowed to harden and then it was sanded flush with the shroud and the top of the tube.

filler-6.jpg

The sanded putty was then doused with some thin CA to make it stronger, less friable and help it to serve as a support for the putty to follow.

filler-7.jpg

A swab was then used to force more putty into the gaping maw.

filler-8.jpg

After the putty had dried, another round of sanding took place to get back to contour.

filler-9.jpg

The sanding was followed by another dose of CA for strength.

filler-10.jpg

I then sanded inside the tube to prevent excessive buildup.

filler-11.jpg

Then it was time to check fit the nose cone. The base needed a bit of sanding and I saw where to add more putty to build things up.

filler-12.jpg

When I got home from work, I did another round of sanding the contours but there were still a few little gaps.

filler-14.jpg

filler-15.jpg

The sanded putty was then again hardened with thin CA.

filler-16.jpg

The gaps and holes were then given a little bit more putty.

filler-17.jpg

filler-18.jpg

4 Hours later, the sanding began again. Not too much this time.

filler-19.jpg

I was very fortunate that the hammered aluminum paint I used for the trusses is a very good match for the vinyl decals, especially when dry. I sprayed some into a disposable cup and then proceeded to paint the filler patch with a brush. It will need another coat.

silver-9.jpg

The patch got another coat of silver after the first had dried.

silver-10.jpg

There are some places where the upper shroud just doesn't look right. The surface is bowed or crinkled. Much of this results from my blunders and the need to trim the ends of some of the trusses. To relieve some of the stresses and get the shroud to lay better, I made short slits on either side of the trusses to allow the outer edges to sit down further.

shroud-24.jpg

Just a question: why didn't you cut the nozzle label paper at an angle and roll it up in a continually narrowing strip like a croissant?

Just a question: why didn't you cut the nozzle label paper at an angle and roll it up in a continually narrowing strip like a croissant?

It basically comes down to, "I didn't think of it". I was making things up as I went along (and still am). This was my first scratch project that was not 3FNC. I hope to finish tomorrow.

I have the overnight duty at the hospital tonight and will need a few hours of sleep tomorrow morning but then I am looking at finishing up.

I popped the nose cone in and took a look. Things were improving but I was still not happy.

shroud-25.jpg

shroud-26.jpg

The next thing I wanted to tackle was where the filler had obliterated the seam lines and where sanding had removed some of the underlying black.

shroud-27.jpg

shroud-28.jpg

I then moved to the bottom of the shroud, regluing the seam and using CA this time. By taking in some slack, I got rid of some of the wrinkles.

shroud-31.jpg

The excess material was again trimmed with a razor.

shroud-32.jpg

The real improvement came, though, when I took the black Sharpie to the edge.

shroud-33.jpg

I then worked my way around the edge filleting the slits I had made with TMT.

shroud-34.jpg

Good job! I have a feeling that if I were to try this (and I still might), mine would be worse than yours. I appaud you, sir! I think she'll be a beaut when it's done.

Back