PEPP 1 Aeroshell REDUX

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What did I tell you? Epic!

FWIW, I've used undipped Q2G2 igniters in Aerotech 24mm reloads. They worked fine.

Are those Q2G2 igniters? They are expensive, but they are good for clustering. I tend to believe that they will work for small composite motors, but, of course, you may want to do testing. I tend to think that dipping those igniters in pyrogen will make them to large to fit through a small composite motor unless the dipping is very very light.

Those are the igniters. I reserve them for cluster because they are the most dependable igniter, bar none. The only failures I have had with them have been with AP motors. They were old white lightnings. Size will be an issue. That is why I need a testing program. I would like to use the Q2G2s as the basis because of the low current and reliability.

Congratulations on the launch! After all that work it must have felt good to see it work. Hopefully you can fly it on a calm day. All those canted flames look very impressive. :)

It did feel good.

During the actual flight, I was trying to track it with the camera and had no idea if all had lit or not. I found out when I examined it afterwards then looked for it on the photo.

What did I tell you? Epic!

FWIW, I've used undipped Q2G2 igniters in Aerotech 24mm reloads. They worked fine.

The only Q2G2 failures I have had have been in AT 24mm SU motors. They were old White Lightnings. In this case, I will be fighting 18mm nozzles. I want to make sure things work before trying it out.

AWESOME! long time coming and very nice pics. Congrats

seeing the suction pull the smoke up to the base as she started to slow is really neat.

I just found a copy of the photo that DARS used on the cover of their newsletter.

ejection.jpg

The caption reads: Actually, this is not a problem! It is just John Lee’s 12 “C” engine cluster firing 12
ejection charges at the same time. If you love fire and smoke (and , really, who
doesn’t?) this model will make your day! We have more pictures of this historic
flight inside!

I just found a copy of the photo that DARS used on the cover of their newsletter.

View attachment 129998

The caption reads: Actually, this is not a problem! It is just John Lee’s 12 “C” engine cluster firing 12
ejection charges at the same time. If you love fire and smoke (and , really, who
doesn’t?) this model will make your day! We have more pictures of this historic
flight inside!

Wow, John!

That. Is. Epic.

:cool:

Greg

Awesome job John! So glad the PEPP survived to fly another day...that aerobraking is nice :) It would fly much better on the D's...assuming you can light than many of the little things. Oh, yeah, I stole some of the photos for my blog. If that's not OK I'll take care of it.

Awesome job John! So glad the PEPP survived to fly another day...that aerobraking is nice :) It would fly much better on the D's...assuming you can light than many of the little things. Oh, yeah, I stole some of the photos for my blog. If that's not OK I'll take care of it.

No objections from me.

I'd like to try it on D21s but ignition (and cost) is the issue.

I've also got one ancient 18mm E from AT. I'd like to clone it 11 times.

This project definitely qualifies you for wild man status. The above photo needs to be in the gallery.

John,

I missed this the first time around so I'm glad you posted the additional fantastic picture.

Congratulations on a wonderful project.

Steve

Back