Pennywise Rocket Recovery/Locator

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blast it Tom!

Well-Known Dweeb
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, this is a really notional "idear" I came up with. There was a thread about finding your rocket on the ground and people were saying how difficult it can be - pick a distant object and keep walking straight, etc. And sometimes you still lose'em in the tall grass/crops/brush. So I thought, "These high-power guys have all kinds of fancy tricks for getting recovery systems deployed, how about a system that would inflate a small helium balloon (NOT RED! Who'd go near it?!), so that it would stick up as a marker? Like I said, it's really just an off-the-top-of my head thing, and there's a pretty thick layer of concrete up there, but it may even be possible to bring it back on the balloon. Keeping the balloon un-holey would be a big issue, then sizing, then how to inflate to a controllable bouyancy...

Ok, this is a really notional "idear" I came up with. There was a thread about finding your rocket on the ground and people were saying how difficult it can be - pick a distant object and keep walking straight, etc. And sometimes you still lose'em in the tall grass/crops/brush. So I thought, "These high-power guys have all kinds of fancy tricks for getting recovery systems deployed, how about a system that would inflate a small helium balloon (NOT RED! Who'd go near it?!), so that it would stick up as a marker? Like I said, it's really just an off-the-top-of my head thing, and there's a pretty thick layer of concrete up there, but it may even be possible to bring it back on the balloon. Keeping the balloon un-holey would be a big issue, then sizing, then how to inflate to a controllable bouyancy...
Simple, just make the rocket big enough to hold the fully inflated balloon and use it as a drogue :-D

Ha! If the rocket was that big I wouldn't need the balloon to find it! But then you gave me this crazy visual of a rocket with a fairly skinny airframe and a balloon for a nose cone... yeah, that'd work! ;)

Not being a fan of the movies, when I read the title, I thought you meant Pennywise to mean inexpensive, which this system could hardly be. But after reading the comments, I now get it.

Cue scary movie music: "Several young teens are searching for a rocket in a dark and mysterious corn field, when suddenly, a red balloon pops up in front of them..."

Tony

I'm no fan of the movies either, particularly that one. But the reference was hard to pass up, and I thought might attract a lot technical talent to the thread. Perhaps it is just a little too nutty an idea!

Nope.....
too much to put inside to make operational and too many things to go wrong to list. Old idea comes to light every few years.
Be smart and just buy a tracker. If your gonna be in the game for years to come. If not ...oh well come up with more Rub Goldfarbs

I've thought of putting a small, pre-inflated shiny Mylar balloon on a short string into a rocket for this purpose (locating, not recovery). But finding a small enough balloon has been a problem, and not sure if I could keep the ejection charge from pinholing it.

Get a Marco Polo drone tracker, you won't be disappointed :)

Back