PemTech Little Bucky Jones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
One of the rockets I built while TRF was down was a Pemberton Technologies Little Bucky Jones. A build thread can be found on YORF here: https://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=4416&page=1&pp=10

I finally got to launch it today! :D

The day of the maiden flight (today) was extremely windy. In fact, it was probably not too good an idea to try and fly. Having missed the previous month's launch window for the same reason (wind) was enough to make me want to give it a try anyway. With that in mind, I selected a C11-3 and loaded it in the rocket. As I watched it in the few moments prior to launch, I realized that the dull brassy color scheme was also probably a poor choice for finding the rocket in the winter colored field. Too late. 3, 2, 1 launch!

It took off well and weathercocked much less than I anticipated. It flew to a respectable height and deployed the chute just a bit before apogee. Then began the long drift with the wind. When it landed, there was no damage. This was a good one.

A video of the first flight can be seen here: https://flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/3279848533/

LBJ-f1a.jpg

The first flight went so well that I debated with myself about using a D for the second. I finally decided against doing so because of the wind and the distance the first one drifted. I decided to use a C11-5 instead of the 3 second delay reasoning that it would come down a little bit more and drift a little less. As it happens, the C11-5 seems to be the perfect C motor for this rocket and it ejected right at the perfect point of apogee.

A video of the second flight can be seen here: https://flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/3279850843/

LBJ-f2a.jpg

Well Brother John, have you lost your Little Bucky yet?
:rolleyes:

As a matter of fact I have. I think it is in the GSE truck but I didn't see it at the last launch. I let some people from the cathedral borrow it for Holy Week and they unloaded my stuff. It did not got back where I had it!:y:

I'll find it soon.

Little Bucky Jones came out to play on Saturday for the first time in a very long time. I was glad to see that time had not done too much harm and I think it was the rocket most commented upon (in a good way) on Saturday. I loaded it with a C11-3 and took it out for a spin.

LBJ-f1a.jpg

LBJ-f1b.jpg

LBJ-f1c.jpg

The liftoff was a thing of beauty to my prejudiced eyes.

LBJ-f1d.jpg

It climbed straight under power. It wasn't perfectly vertical but once the direction was chosen, it stuck with it without any deviation.

LBJ-f1e.jpg

The straight flight continued during the coast phase, to the point where I wondered if I had loaded the wrong delay. In fact, it was still climbing when the ejection went off.

LBJ-f1f.jpg

LBJ-f1g.jpg

LBJ-f1h.jpg

Ejection seemed to take a long time. There was the puff and a bit of orange showed but it seemed like the chute would never open.

LBJ-f1i.jpg

LBJ-f1j.jpg

LBJ-f1k.jpg

The chute did open fully, however, and the sight of the rocket hanging down from its canopy sure improved the appearance of all that monotonous blue.

LBJ-f1l.jpg

LBJ-f1m.jpg

LBJ-f1n.jpg

Although it did not land too far away, this flight gave me the longest walk I had all day. Layne still needs to work on that part.

LBJ-f1o.jpg

The rocket, when retrieved, was in perfect shape and lacked only a new motor for another flight.

LBJ-f1p.jpg

Great photos John:) I really like the Buck rogers look of that rocket :)
Cheers
fred

Great photos John:) I really like the Buck rogers look of that rocket :)
Cheers
fred

Thanks.

Its strange. I think it is probably my least favorite design of Layne's retro ships and I still like it a lot. There's just something about that old style of my youth that will not let go.

Don't tell Layne I said that. It might go to his head.

LBJ came out to play again at my club launch on the 13th. I loaded it with another D12-3 and took it out to the pad. There was a rod available...

LBJ-f1a.jpg

LBJ-f1b.jpg

LBJ-f1c.jpg

... but there were no leads available so I had to wait.

LBJ-f1d.jpg

LBJ-f1e.jpg

LBJ-f1f.jpg

So when the smoke cleared, I went out and hooked up some leads so the IMPORTANT rocket could fly.

LBJ-f1g.jpg

LBJ-f1h.jpg

At this point I would like to introduce Miss Danielle Means. She is 9 years old and it was her first time to come fly with my club. She picked rocketry over a pizza party and could correctly identify all of the scale rockets present and quite a few of the sport models. She became my own personal LCO for the duration of the launch.

I want to borrow her to teach SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED to love rockets but that is probably a lost cause.

LBJ-f1i.jpg

She pushed the button with just the right amount of oomph to get the LBJ way up there very quickly.

LBJ-f1j.jpg

LBJ-f1k.jpg

LBJ-f1l.jpg

Her young eyes came in very handy to track it on the way back down too. She even wanted to go fetch it!

LBJ-f1m.jpg

LBJ-f1n.jpg

LBJ-f1o.jpg

LBJ-f1p.jpg

Ya gotta love a young and enthusiastic launch crew. My seven year old daughter works as mine.

Oh....the rocket's cool as well and clearly flies quite well.

I love the retro sci-fi look of this rocket and your camera skills are superb.

I love the retro sci-fi look of this rocket and your camera skills are superb.

Layne Pemberton should get credit for the way the rocket looks. I just slapped the parts together. He is the golden age artist.

I don't get credit for the pics either. They used to look lousy until a member of my former church sold me the camera (he upgraded). I just set it all on automatic and let IT figure out what do do. When I try to do that, bad things happen.

Don't Cry.

It is my least of the retros but I like ALL the retros.

Think of it in these terms: Cherry Pie is my least favorite of the berry pies...but I eat a lot of berry pie (When SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED will not catch me).

I love the retros. This one was built because either it was on top of the pile or it was the closest to the top that had enough coolness but not too much intimidation factor.

Its a solid performer that looks good but the 3FNC MPR version is my favorite. I think I could handle that one now...but I have to find it first.

OK, I forgive you...

Did you ever rebuild your Bonestell?

I wish.

There was nothing really salvageable except the NC. I donated the carcas to a young kid who had been showing up at the launches to dissect. He managed to use the cone and that's about it.

Back