PemTech HMAS Bonestell

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hanging on the edge of our seats to hear the rest of the story here!

-Trudy
PemTech's Art Department and Moral Support in times of Corkscrews :shock:

I was busy typing, photoshopping, thinking about tomorrow's sermon and trying to fit in a ham sandwich.

I was busy typing, photoshopping, thinking about tomorrow's sermon and trying to fit in a ham sandwich.

No problem. Just a bit anxious to see how it all came out.
GSA?
HMMMMMMMMM
Can't say that was intentional, but I can look in to it.
;)

Thanks for the detailed thread, and all the effort you put into this bird.

Sooo, was that honey glazed or pepper cured?

No problem. Just a bit anxious to see how it all came out.
GSA?
HMMMMMMMMM
Can't say that was intentional, but I can look in to it.
;)

Thanks for the detailed thread, and all the effort you put into this bird.

Sooo, was that honey glazed or pepper cured?

I'm pretty certain that the effect was due to my building, not anything inherent in the design. I'm waiting on pins and needles for the MPR and the HPR versions.:D

Actually, it was maple cured. I was just telling the missus that maybe tomorrow we can look at the store for the pepper type. I've never tried that.

My Bonestell had not seen action in a while so I took it out for my club's launch. I can honestly say it probably elicited more favorable comments than just about any other rocket there yesterday.

I remembered some corkscrewing so I started off light with a D12-3 and loaded it up.

BS-f1a.jpg

BS-f1b.jpg

When the countdown got to 0 I heard a motor ignite...but it wasn't on my rocket. I was confused because I saw no others on the rack. I also saw some smoke but it was not from the Bonestell.

BS-f1c.jpg

BS-f1d.jpg

Then I saw it! A monocopter was coming up from the ground. It got up to about 4 feet and then hurdled the launch rack, ducking between two launch rods as it did so.

It was a prototype monocopter. Ken needs to use a bigger motor next time.:rolleyes:

BS-f1e.jpg

BS-f1f.jpg

After things quieted down, it was my turn...again.

BS-f1g.jpg

This time MY rocket ignited when the count got to zero.

BS-f1h.jpg

BS-f1i.jpg

The boost was nice with none of the rolling or waggling I remembered.

BS-f1j.jpg

BS-f1k.jpg

BS-f1l.jpg

BS-f1m.jpg

It continued climbing in the coast phase, performing well all the way.

BS-f1n.jpg

BS-f1o.jpg

BS-f1p.jpg

It had just started to arc over when ejection occured.

BS-f1q.jpg

It drifted down safely nearby, just missing the area of tall grass.

BS-f1r.jpg

BS-f1s.jpg

BS-f1t.jpg

BS-f1u.jpg

The previous flight being so pleasing, I decided to fly it again. This time I pushed the limits with an E30-4.

BS-f2a.jpg

This time it shot up really quick. It definitely caught everyone's attention as it demonstrated a very quick roll and waggled back and forth.

BS-f2b.jpg

BS-f2c.jpg

When ejection occured, it blew the rocket into 3 sections. The nose cone got to free fall down by itself, not too far away. The airframe fell by itself slightly farther away and the parachute caught a thermal and drifted away.

BS-f2d.jpg

The cone was easily found in the short stuff but the body took some searching in the higher weeds. I gave up on the chute altogether.

BS-f2e.jpg

BS-f2f.jpg

Inspection showed no real damage. This one is going to be repaired and have its recovery gear upgraded. I suspect that an E15 would be a great motor with its gentler thrust than the E30 but I have never seen one. It also needed a longer delay.

On the bright side, another flyer later found my chute while looking for his rocket.

BS-f2g.jpg

That is one beautiful rocket.

Hoping to see it fly at Hearne one day.

Assuming I don't lose it or anything, I promise to bring it next time I come to Hearne. Of course there's no telling when that might be. I'm hoping for November.

Inspection showed no real damage. This one is going to be repaired and have its recovery gear upgraded. I suspect that an E15 would be a great motor with its gentler thrust than the E30 but I have never seen one. It also needed a longer delay.

On the bright side, another flyer later found my chute while looking for his rocket.

WHEW!
Glad it wasn't destroyed...
When you said "blown into pieces" I was thinking shredded.
OK, so what components in the recovery system need updating?
Shockcord attachment? Shockcord length?
Yes, I think we have established that the E30 is too much motor for the Bonestell. There may be an E18 in the range box, and will try it as soon as I find a field.
BUT! The important part is that with your successful flights on the D12, we can move forward with the release of the HMAS Bonestell!
:cheers:

Thanks John, for all the hard work.

WHEW!
Glad it wasn't destroyed...
When you said "blown into pieces" I was thinking shredded.
OK, so what components in the recovery system need updating?
Shockcord attachment? Shockcord length?
Yes, I think we have established that the E30 is too much motor for the Bonestell. There may be an E18 in the range box, and will try it as soon as I find a field.
BUT! The important part is that with your successful flights on the D12, we can move forward with the release of the HMAS Bonestell!
:cheers:

Thanks John, for all the hard work.

Sorry about worrying you.

What I want to due is replace the elastic with some thin nylon. I have been having issues recently with the sewing elastic in older kits breaking.

I'm sorry if you were waiting on me for more test flights. If I ahd known that, I would have got out to fly it more.

Sorry about worrying you.

What I want to due is replace the elastic with some thin nylon. I have been having issues recently with the sewing elastic in older kits breaking.

I'm sorry if you were waiting on me for more test flights. If I ahd known that, I would have got out to fly it more.

No worries Brother John...
You have gone above and beyond what was asked of you.

I took a closer look at the Bonestell after its last outing when I got home. I noticed that one wing seemed to be a little weak. I reckoned that flying it on gentle D12s would probably not stress it overmuch and I had already resolved to stay away from the E30s but I do want to try maybe some gentler midpower loads like the E11 or F12 and figured I better take care of things first.

damage-1.jpg

damage-2.jpg

I've still not made up my mind as to whether I like epoxy clay or not. My results have been mixed thus far. Its what I had on hand when I got started on this repair, though, so I cut off a sliver, mixed it and rolled a skinny worm.

epoxy-1.jpg

epoxy-2.jpg

I placed the worm along the fin seam and then tried to press it into place and smooth it out with an alcohol soaked finger. It barely fit. When I tried to do the other side, I could not fit my finger at all due to the wooden strake so I tried to use a piece of dowel I had sitting around.

epoxy-3.jpg

epoxy-4.jpg

I did not like the result and I was not at all convinced by the bond. I decided to overlay it with some "real epoxy" and the next day I actually found some remnants of 5minute cure in the house. I mixed some on a piece of paper and then folded the paper to pour it along the edge. I was dammed by the fin, the wooded strake and the ring at the end. I dammed the 4th side with my finger in a nitrile glove. A few minutes later and it ceased to be runny and had turned yellow.

liquid-1.jpg

liquid-2.jpg

Back