PemTech HMAS Bonestell

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
I was fortunate to place in a monthly rocket contest on TRF in which the prize was any of Pemberton Technology's LPR kits. The dilemma was that I already had all his kits. Layne Pemberton came through like a champ, though, and offered me the opportunity to try out a preproduction model of his upcoming HMAS Bonestell, influenced by the artwork of Chesley Bonestell. It feels like it should have been a first prize instead of a runner up but I AM NOT COMPLAINING!!!!:D:D:D

The instruction for this kit have not yet been put together. I had to work from the parts and a collection of photos on a CD Layne sent me. My first step was to import the photos into Adobe Pagemaker and try to get them into order. With that done, I printed out my "instructions" and was ready to get to work.

I identified the body tube as a BT60 so went into VCP and generated a wrap around marking guide with 4 lines at 90 degrees. Only 2 would truly be for fins but I needed the other two for the tanks to come. I cut out the template, was pleased to see that it fit, transferred the lines and extended them the length of the tube.

BS-BT-1.jpg

BS-BT-2.jpg

The fins for this beast are cut from a very nice sheet of balsa using a paper template that shipped with the kit. The template was cut out and laid onto the balsa. I did notice that the photos I had showed a chamfer at the root/trailing edge and the template did not. This began to make sense when I realized that the chamfer is a result of the template not fitting completely onto the balsa stock. I liked to look of the cut corner. The fins were cut out with a razor knife and the leading edges were rounded.

BS-fins-1.jpg

BS-fins-2.jpg

BS-fins-3.jpg

With the fins being ready, I laid a fin along the fin line on the BT and marked the forward and aft extension of the TTW tab. I did the same with the opposite fin and then used a razor to cut the slots for the through the wall mounting.

BS-fin-slot-1.jpg

BS-fin-slot-2.jpg

The fins were then test fitted, without gluing, to make sure everything fit.

BS-fins-4.jpg

Motor mount construction was begun by designating one end of the motor tube as aft and measuring 5/8" forward of that. A centering ring was then glued into place at that mark and filleted only on the aft side.

BS-mm-1.jpg

When that centering ring was firmly dried, I took one of the fins and set its tab up against the ring, laying the length of the tab flat along the motor mount. The tabs of the fins have to fit within the centering rings so I wanted to make sure the forward ring would have clearance. I marked where it shoult go and then marked the opposite side with the other fin just to make sure. FOrtunately, they were the same.

BS-mm-2.jpg

The forward centering ring was then glued into place along the marks and filleted on the forward side.

BS-mm-3.jpg

The rings on the motor mount were given a day to dry and then the assembly was test fitted into the body tube. I found that the forward ring needed just a little bit of sanding to slip in well. Once in place, I wanted to make sure that the fins would clear the rings when inserted into the slots. They did and the fins an motor mount were removed again.

BS-mm-4.jpg

BS-mm-5.jpg

One of the more unique visual elements of this kits is the inclusion of four plastic Christmas tree balls to be used as fuel tanks. The hangers were removed and retained and then the body tube was made ready to receive them. The appropriate distances were marked off along the lines 90 from the fin slots and four holes were drilled. The balls were then test fitted and the lips on their mount popped right in. The balls were then removed.

BS-tanks-1.jpg

BS-tanks-2.jpg

BS-tanks-3.jpg

BS-tanks-4.jpg

BS-tanks-5.jpg

Since everything seemed to fit it was time to install the motor mount for real but I remembered on change I wanted to make. The intention of the kit was to use a LOC style shock cord mount. I decided to tie some Kevlar around the motor mount and cut a notch to pass it on the edge of the forward ring. This was done and the Kevlar was filleted in with some glue. I then passed the cord through the motor mount, swabbed the interior of the BT with glue and shoved the mount in place, trying to ensure that the centering rings did not interfere with the fin slots.

BS-mm-6.jpg

BS-mm-7.jpg

BS-mm-8.jpg

As the motor mount was drying in place, I turned my attention to the beautiful, slender nose cone. It was nicely turned balsa. I decided to harden and seal it with thin CA and drizzled some on and set it aside to dry.

BS-NC-1.jpg

BS-NC-2.jpg

The glue on the rocket was given a full day to dry and then mounting of the fuel tanks began. It was simply a matter of applying some CA and popping them into their holes.

BS-tanks-6.jpg

BS-tanks-7.jpg

With the tanks in place, final installation of the fins began. Each was mounted with a double joint of yellow glue. Fillets of white glue were then applied along the root edges.

BS-fins-5.jpg

BS-fins-6.jpg

BS-fins-7.jpg

BS-fins-8.jpg

The tail end of the rocket features a large ring and bulkhead. As the fins were drying, I began assembly on it. The centering ring was sanded around the edges to make it fit and then inserted into the ring BT and pushed flat against the forward edge. It was then glued into place with yellow glue.

BS-aft-ring-1.jpg

BS-aft-ring-2.jpg

BS-aft-ring-3.jpg

Very nice work John, I'm excited to see what this looks like completed.

Very nice work John, I'm excited to see what this looks like completed.

Thanks. I'm excited about this one too. I think it will be cool.

Though now I'm strating to wonder how it gets painted.:jaw:

However you want to paint it....
:D

Mine has a overall coat of gloss white with red and blue highlights. I'll dig out a pic later today.

And I agree with you on the shockcord mount...
Truth is, I forgot to tie it to the MM before installing it.
:bangpan:

Now back to work with ya'!

Last edited:
However you want to pain it....

Mine has a overall coat of gloss white with red and blue highlights. I'll dig out a pic later today.

And I agree with you on the shockcord mount...
Truth is, I forgot to tie it to the MM before installing it.
:bangpan:

Now back to work with ya'!

WHen I paint it is a pain.

Actually my concern was with the balls. I had assumed that they were left with their natural finish and I was wondering how I was going to mask them.

WHen I paint it is a pain.

Actually my concern was with the balls. I had assumed that they were left with their natural finish and I was wondering how I was going to mask them.

If you want to keep the gold finish the Ballz can be masked with a sammich bag or other plastic bag. You may have brush touch-up around the base and between the Ballz, but it is possible. The prototype is in primer but the Ballz are still the original gold finish, but the production model has white Ballz, to appear more "space-ship" like.

Last edited:
If you want to keep the gold finish the Ballz can be masked with a sammich bag or other plastic bag. You may have brush touch-up around the base and between the Ballz, but it is possible. The prototype is in primer but the Ballz are still the original gold finish, but the production model has white Ballz, to appear more "space-ship" like.

That sounds doable but I've had such bad luck with finishing lately that I'm even more pessimistic than usual.

I'd sure like to see a nice painted version. Between my lack of creativity and lack of artistic aptitude, I tend to depend rather heavily on having a model.

(In my best Wally voice)
*ta dahhhh*

First, the cheesecake shot...
bonestellDSC_6045small.jpg

Next, the on the pad at NSL2007 shot...
Bonestell_onpad_DSC_4852CR.jpg

And finally, the WHOOSH shot...
Bonestell_Flight_DSC_4855CR.jpg

ANything else I can do to help?

You just had to go and post those shot's didn'tcha Layne..... so I'll fall on the grenade for the rest of TRF....

When can we buy 'em??????

and Wow!!!!

:eyepop:...

:eek:...

:y:...

:jaw:!!!!!

ANything else I can do to help?

You are going to send the decals AREN"T YOU!!!!!!!!!

Just let me know how much I owe for postage, handling, service charge, etc.

How does the paint do on the plastic balls? Any special prep?

Oh, and go back and look at post 23 again.

:eyepop:...

:eek:...

:y:...

:jaw:!!!!!

You are going to send the decals AREN"T YOU!!!!!!!!!

Just let me know how much I owe for postage, handling, service charge, etc.

Already have a set printed out and waiting to be cut.
But they aren't the best quality, were looking into getting them professionally printed for the kit. There are only the Aussie flags on either side of the rudders but I may run off a "HMAS Bonestell" to go on the either side of the fuselage.

The paint seems to stick just fine to the finish on the ballz with no prep.

"World of Glenn-You just had to go and post those shot's didn'tcha Layne..... so I'll fall on the grenade for the rest of TRF....

and Wow!!!!"

Thank you Glenn!
The LPR Bonestell should be out by Christmas and the MPR version by next summer.

Already have a set printed out and waiting to be cut.
But they aren't the best quality, were looking into getting them professionally printed for the kit. There are only the Aussie flags on either side of the rudders but I may run off a "HMAS Bonestell" to go on the either side of the fuselage.

The paint seems to stick just fine to the finish on the ballz with no prep.

"World of Glenn-You just had to go and post those shot's didn'tcha Layne..... so I'll fall on the grenade for the rest of TRF....

and Wow!!!!"

Thank you Glenn!
The LPR Bonestell should be out by Christmas and the MPR version by next summer.

So is the long black area on the dorsal surface painted on?

I'm doomed.

JAL3...Very nice build thread...keep going.

Layne...I didn't see your flight at NSL but I did see a couple of these sitting on your table...very impressive!!!

Oh, it isn't that bad....
Just a wide stripe of navy blue from NC to Ballz.
I'll post close-ups.

You can do it John, we have faith in you.

It looked black to me but navy is good. I'm jsut thankfull that it seems to look so good with a basic white paint scheme.

Back