Pemberton Technologies King Kraken Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread makes me want a KK of my own :)

I know - I need to get one sometime as well. I just finished my regular Kraken though, so I should probably fly it a few times first.

(I do have a couple of F101's sitting around...)

Did you get a decal with your KK?
It wasn't mentioned in your splendid review.

Edited!

After I paint it I will youtube how to put them on! :confused:

I came up with a terrible joke, pun, bad idea.

So we have the Kraken, then the larger King Kraken, then a 6" (or 7.5) Killer King Kraken!!! To bad everyone would call it the KKK :rofl:

I know stand up comedian, but I really prefer sitting down :eyeroll:

Last edited:
After the spirals are done have you decided on what your going to glue it together with? Wood glue or epoxy? Oh yea some Krakens are silver and red!! This ones DD build out of BT-70 with 3 E-30's

Dual deploy? really? What kind of altitude do you get?

I don't plan on filling the spirals of this one but I do on my scratch built "Size Matters"

That Kraken must SCOOT on 3 E30's

Probably Epoxy...I lost my wood glue

If epoxy is what you got then epoxy it is, but either one would be good. The one thing that makes doing the fillets way down deep between the tubes easier is a cool little tool called a glue syringe. You may need a few because they will clog up when the epoxy hardens while your waiting for the fillets to cure enough so the rocket can be turned over to do the other side. Another trick is to put some sort of dam at the end of each fillet so the glue/epoxy stays where its supposed to and not run off the ends. It could be tape or a drop of 5 min epoxy but you need somthing to hold it in place .

https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/hca/hcahcar3785.htm

Last edited:
Edited!

After I paint it I will youtube how to put them on! :confused:

I came up with a terrible joke, pun, bad idea.

So we have the Kraken, then the larger King Kraken, then a 6" (or 7.5) Killer King Kraken!!! To bad everyone would call it the KKK :rofl:

I know stand up comedian, but I really prefer sitting down :eyeroll:

The name for the upscale has already been chosen....

Emperor Kraken

Now, I just have to build it...

The name for the upscale has already been chosen....

Emperor Kraken

Now, I just have to build it...

I'm worried that some smart-aleck is going to stretch a clone of the Emperor Kraken to make the Evil Emperor Kraken....EEK!

G.D.

So Iv done some work and now it actually looks like a Kraken.

Today was Epoxy Day! I have 5 builds going on and none to be taken lightly. Todays theme of the day was Motor Mounts!!! For the Darkstar, this kraken, the little whild child, and the secretive Gila Monster.

And I had some extra time and glued the fins for the Kraken on and it looks great.

PICTURES!!! Haha I wasn't going to post without photos.

So these are the fins as they are being glued. (note the nice handy hands keeping then on tight!)

2011-01-09%2016.13.16.jpg

I think it doubles as a nice centerpiece too! or a little tree....or a rocket!!!!:rofl:

Ok so I made only one change to the kit so far and that is placement of the launch lugs. I moved them from between the fins to the edge of the fins (If that doesn't make sense just look at the picture).
I drew the line for them but thought about and changed. My thinking was that putting them where I did did two things,
1. Hid them as well as made them more aerodynamic (Im almost positive they don't, but visually it makes sense)
2. It automatically lines them up with out and special tools or whatever and if you can tell my lines aren't the straightest. (Probably because I shouldn't use a wall hinge that is stucco :gavel:)

2011-01-09%2016.13.27.jpg

Also to show what I did heres a picture of my used-to-be-dining-room-table-now-rocket-building-table.

Quick description from left to right

Deep left is the only little bit of the gila monster
Next to the Body Tube sections of the DD Darkstar
Then the hard to see Wild child pieces (Hiding behind the rocket tree( duh duh chee))
Then the motor mount, fin can, nosecone of the Kin Kraken
Then the orange 10 foot parachute for the big rocket where more work is going on to design that hatch (also I spent 15mins filling spirals and then gave up! I am a teenager ya know!)
2011-01-09%2019.25.47.jpg

Lots of projects, fun fun fun!

Comments are nice, (They let me know your listening)

Bryce

I'm worried that some smart-aleck is going to stretch a clone of the Emperor Kraken to make the Evil Emperor Kraken....EEK!

G.D.

How about a downscale Kraken...say 1/2 A size using BT5? It flies beautiful....and will go out of sight. Fun and easy to build!

Doogie :D

Kraken.jpg

OK So the rocket has been done, the flights have been flown.

Maiden flight was yesterday and snapped some awesome pictures.

One complaint though.

The decals...

I heard Mark made them and I am familiar with his work and product, but for some reason this was out of the ordinary.

I haven't touched them since I got them and after I painted it a week ago it knew it was time for the decals. I knew something was wrong when I tried peeling off the fronting.

Anyway no decals.

IMG_7142.JPG

My favorite photo on a G69Skid (First flight was on a G115WT)

KK%20Skid.JPG

And finally a crappy video of its maiden flight.

[YOUTUBE]eoU77GRzyMM[/YOUTUBE]

Overall great kit and design
THANK YOU SECRET SANTA!!!

Bryce

Great looking rocket the black and silver look really good. Are you a Raiders fan? Looks like a good day out on the lakebed and you got to launch the Kraken twice!!!

Last edited:
Well? What happened to the decal?
We can send you another, but I will test them first.

By the by, excellent work on your KK, and great pics.

OK So the rocket has been done, the flights have been flown.

Maiden flight was yesterday and snapped some awesome pictures.

One complaint though.

The decals...

I heard Mark made them and I am familiar with his work and product, but for some reason this was out of the ordinary.

I haven't touched them since I got them and after I painted it a week ago it knew it was time for the decals. I knew something was wrong when I tried peeling off the fronting.

Anyway no decals.

IMG_7142.JPG

My favorite photo on a G69Skid (First flight was on a G115WT)

KK%20Skid.JPG

And finally a crappy video of its maiden flight.

[YOUTUBE]eoU77GRzyMM[/YOUTUBE]

Overall great kit and design
THANK YOU SECRET SANTA!!!

Bryce

May I add this one to the gallery?

If you send decals I will put them on, If not it doesn't matter.

It was starnge and I'm sure a rare occurance but it seemed overly sticky.

It was starnge and I'm sure a rare occurance but it seemed overly sticky.

Sometimes the fronting on Stickershock decals peels the decals off the surface you are applying it to. I've had this happen a few times, and you just need to find a way to get the decal off of the fronting. I usually use toothpicks to make them let go. After you get it off, the decals stick fine.

This is what happened, right?

Back