Pem-Tech - Screamin' green meenie: Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gillard

Reaction score
Won this rocket from the march competition.
got the rocket sent super fast from the states to the UK

i've got to thank Layne (Pem Tech) for such a great prize

the kit comes in a plastic bag, and has soe of the best instructions i've ever seen in a kit, step by step, photos, everydetail with explaination. and they're funny to read as well, i won't spoil the fun by telling you the "jokes" here.

kit contains all the usual parts (expect two i'll get to that later)

the nose cone is great quality, the tubes strong with some slight grooves, thick good quality Kevlar cord, laser cut parts etc.

g parts.JPG

first thing was to build the motor mount.

where's the thrust ring?
where's the engine hook?

the instructions explain why these are not included and what to do for retension etc.

i'm just a bit too traditional so i added an engine block and a engine hook (sorry layne)

you also have to cut a small notch for the Kevlar cord - of which there is loads - over 7foot.

the whole lot was epoxyied together.

g mount.JPG

whilst the glue was drying, i sanded the fins.

layne give a few different methods for filling the fins, i opted for the glue method, only because i have never done that before - in hindsight i should have stuck with sanding sealer.

the fins have a notch in the root edge as this is where the ring fins fit.

the fins were made of god quality balsa, and laser cut.

g fins glue.JPG

The body tube and the ring fins then had there spiral grooves filled with filler and then sanded smooth.

g tubes filed.JPG

fins have been sanded and now primed with spray paint grey primmer
nose cone has been primed as well.

g fins primed.JPG

body tube and fin rings have been marked using template supplied

g BT marked.JPG

motor mount has been glued into place using white glue. will add a fillet of epoxy for strength.

next is to glue the fins into the ring fins. did this with CA gel and then filleted with white glue

trf sgm  ring fin.JPG

these fins wher then spray paint primed and then glued onto the BT
i have yet to add the epoxy fillet to the motor mount.

trf sgm fins base.JPG

trf sgm fins attached.JPG

Next the lug supplied is cut and attached to the BT, one at the base and one behind the front of the fins. these were then filleted.

trf sgm lugs.JPG

nearly finished,

now everything is coated with spray paint primer.

trf sgm primed.JPG

finally painted the rocket, nothing fancy, green body, black nosecone.
flew her twice today on D12-5
she flys really well, and fits in nicely between a fat boy and big daddy, except she's better looking.

finally painted the rocket, nothing fancy, green body, black nosecone.
flew her twice today on D12-5
she flys really well, and fits in nicely between a fat boy and big daddy, except she's better looking.

Photos or it doesn't count!

thought i'd add a picture of her coming down - i did not use the parachute supplied with the kit (although it was a good quality parachute) but it was a bit windy so a smaller chute was required

sgm_air.JPG

Back