Pem Tech Kraken

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foose4string

Reaction score
This is a kit that I was going to purchase, but ended up winning through my tip submissions over at EMRR. It's one of the only tube finned rockets to ever strike my fancy and was a big part of the reason for my entering in the first place.

The nice weather and upcoming launches inspired me to finish up a few rockets that have been needing my attention. Oh how I love sanding...I know a few folks can relate. The Kraken seemed like a good place to start since there wasn't a lot of balsa prep...only small tube spirals to fill.

Anyhow, here 's my Kraken. I made a few mods along the way. The kit came with a very long piece of Kevlar to be solely used as the shock cord. There was just enough of that material to braid as my leader and I attached about three ft of elastic to that. The motor mount is a friction fit system, which I'm not opposed to, but I like the easy prep of clip which I also added. I made the end of the motor clip even with the bottom so it's not too conspicuous and the model will still stand on end. This mod also pushed the mount a little farther forward and will probably add a little bit to the stability. Rather than using the supplied 15 gram washer, I decide to hollow out a space in the cone and added equivalent weight using some BB's and glue, then plugged with a dowel. The dowel will give the screw eye a better bite. The washer have worked just fine, but I didn't feel like mixing up epoxy this time around.

Painting was a lot easier than I anticipated. Main thing to remember is masking off the main body tube on the fin alignment marks and back of the fin tubes with a small strip of tape. Painting all the parts separately is a good idea. Once it's been painted those tape strips can be removed and the bare part of the tubes can be glued into place. It would have been a nightmare to try and fill, sand, and paint any other way. I painted the inside of the fin tubes first and then rolled a piece of heavy cardstock to mask the inside after they were dry. No tape needed, the cardstock had enough spring to it to hold it self in place. I've seen Layne recommend using a plastic "For Sale" sign or similar for this purpose, but I didn't have one laying around so I improvised. I used Krylon Purple(old formula) and Rustoleum Metallics- Black Night. I love the Metallics line from Rustoleum. Goes on easy, nice coverage, dries quickly, and looks super when it's done. I'm not a huge fan of the other standard enamels by them, but this stuff rocks. I've used the Cobalt Blue, Gold, and Bronze before with the same results.

I bought some googly eyes to put on the cone to finish the look but decided against it at the last minute. I didn't want to mess up the paint!:)

Pem-Tech-Kraken.jpg

Kraken-Black-Metallics.jpg

Last edited:
Holy Cripes Foose!
That is beautiful!
Why can't I make mine turn out that pretty?
:confused:

Your painting is flawless.....
:eek:

The motor mount is a friction fit system, which I'm not opposed to, but I like the easy prep of clip which I also added.

Oh, you kids an yer' fancy motor retainers. Why, when I was a boy our motor retainers were made from rocks and sticks! And we had to fly our rockets and retrieve them up hill, both ways, in the snow, barefoot with just a spoon to fight off the the bears and Llamas.
Ever been bit by a Llama?
I didn't think so....

;)

Wow Craig that looks great!!!

I've just finished building one (waiting to be painted) to replace the one I lost last summer.
I did the same mods as you.
The Kraken flies great on an E9. :)

Wow Craig that looks great!!!

I've just finished building one (waiting to be painted) to replace the one I lost last summer.
I did the same mods as you.
The Kraken flies great on an E9. :)

Oh man, now ya tell me.... I forgot all about the E9. :eek: I was thinking C11, D12, D15, E11, and hopefully the Quest D8. See what I get for being a wise guy? "Yeah, I'll show Layne...I'll put a clip in there!" Ha!:D

I didn't realize you lost yours Tony. It definitely deserves to be replaced. Very cool design and nice kit.

Thanks guys. I have to owe much of the success to that Metallics paint. Good stuff.

Layne, you know I had to do you proud on this one. The contest sponsorships do not go unappreciated, I can tell you that!

Welcome to the totaly tubular dark side. Great job on your build and finish work. I like the Rustoleum metallics also I have painted almost all of my rockets using it (12 cans on my level III). I have been really happy with my Kraken I have flowen it over twenty times and have been able to fly it a couple of times on the new Aerotech F-35 reload and it keeps comming back in one piece. The Estes C-11 is a great school yard or park motor.

Good luck

Andy Hansom

Last edited:
That finish looks awesome Craig! I will have to hunt down some of the Rustoleum Metallic Black and use it whenever I get around to building my 2nd Kraken(1st one got carried off to 'never never land' on a thermal taking with it a brand new 24mm casing!)...Layne gave me a heck of a deal on the replacement!;) Just gotta get around to it!...One of these days!:rolleyes:LOL

That finish looks awesome Craig! I will have to hunt down some of the Rustoleum Metallic Black and use it whenever I get around to building my 2nd Kraken(1st one got carried off to 'never never land' on a thermal taking with it a brand new 24mm casing!)...Layne gave me a heck of a deal on the replacement!;) Just gotta get around to it!...One of these days!:rolleyes:LOL

Thanks Jon.

The black can be found just about anywhere.... Walmart, Lowes, HD, etc. The apple red, ruby red, green, purple are not as common. I'd like to pick up those colors at some point.

Thanks Foggy. Layne does a great job with the instructions on how to cut the tubes, etc.

Layne does a great job with the instructions on how to cut the tubes, etc.

Yes he does! But, you have to FOLLOW them! I think I missed a mark or something on the first go around with the first kit in cutting the tube fins:eek: Which led to the birth of the Krapkin..LOL

Notice how the tube fins are not all the same?
Krapken001.jpg

And here is a shot after doing the tube fins a second time CORRECTLY..THis is the one that floated away from me on it's 2nd flight ever!
Kraken016.jpg

This looks like a great kit. I haven't seen it at hub hobby (in Richfield, MN). Can one reccomend where online to pick one up?

Thanks!

This looks like a great kit. I haven't seen it at hub hobby (in Richfield, MN). Can one reccomend where online to pick one up?

Thanks!

I believe you can get them directly from PemTech. Layne is a member here and owner of PemTech. Check out reply #2 of this thread. All the info you need should be in the signature line his reply.

And here is a shot after doing the tube fins a second time CORRECTLY..THis is the one that floated away from me on it's 2nd flight ever!

Don't feel too bad, my first one floated away on me on it's 4th flight and the second one took off for parts unknown on it's second flight. At that rate I figure if I get another one, it will float off before I get it launched.

Don't feel too bad, my first one floated away on me on it's 4th flight and the second one took off for parts unknown on it's second flight. At that rate I figure if I get another one, it will float off before I get it launched.

This seems to be a common theme. Sounds like I'll need to downsize the chute.

I didn't have trouble with it floating away on a chute. I had a King Kraken that drove away when it landed next to US 87 and some kids stopped their truck, threw it in the bed head drove off.

I didn't even have a chance to disarm the warhead!:mad:

FWIW, you chose the same paint scheme that I tried to do except yours looks good.

Yeah...
That was a miscalculation on our part, the original kit came with an 18" which seems to lead to many Krakens floating away. Too bad about that, guess someone will have to sell new ones to replace them.
;)

But in reality, our condolences on those lost Krakens. The kit now comes with a 16" Hartle chute to remedy the problem. And you know what, since there is no balsa to break I think I will try mine on a 12" chute, just for giggles.

Thanks for the compliments folks, we're just glad the kit makes so many fliers happy.
:eek:

John, do you think the King Kraken warhead has gone off yet?
Heh heh heh...
That would teach the thieves a lesson.

Also, thanks for the order Glenn. Hopefully your delivery Llama has arrived at your residence and deposited its slobbery package.

The 16" Hartle chutes are nice. Now I just need to talk Mr. Evil into making 20" chutes. :D

Layne, the delivery Llamas of the USPS carefully deposited it on my desk yesterday. As usual, the dark forces have conspired for a build delay. Tomorrow is 10th wedding anniversary, and this weekend, wife committed us to help a friend paint their house. Maybe if I paint bad enough, I'll get sent home early and can work on the kit?

just built mine! gotta say the best instructions ive ever followed when building!!

Layne, the delivery Llamas of the USPS carefully deposited it on my desk yesterday. As usual, the dark forces have conspired for a build delay. Tomorrow is 10th wedding anniversary, and this weekend, wife committed us to help a friend paint their house. Maybe if I paint bad enough, I'll get sent home early and can work on the kit?

Maybe if you start painting the carpet and linoleum!:rolleyes: :D

First Kraken flight was today at the MDRA club launch. Winds about 5-8 mph, I'd guess. Loaded a D12-5.... what a ride. I was surprised how much altitude this got. Layne- I might do D15 or E11 at the most, but I'm not sure I'd like to go much higher than I did today. Go ahead, call me a wus, but the Kraken scoots on a D12! Nice, straight flight- deployment right at the beginning of apogee. I am really impressed by the design. I used a 16" Fliskits chute since that's what I had available in that size. It seemed about right. I might have gotten by with even less judging by the drift...say, 14" or 15"(or spill hole in the 16"). I didn't take the camera to the launch today, but I'll be sure to take it tomorrow(3 day Red Glare event :)) and try to get some flight pics.

First Kraken flight was today at the MDRA club launch. Winds about 5-8 mph, I'd guess. Loaded a D12-5.... what a ride. I was surprised how much altitude this got. Layne- I might do D15 or E11 at the most, but I'm not sure I'd like to go much higher than I did today. Go ahead, call me a wus, but the Kraken scoots on a D12! Nice, straight flight- deployment right at the beginning of apogee. I am really impressed by the design. I used a 16" Fliskits chute since that's what I had available in that size. It seemed about right. I might have gotten by with even less judging by the drift...say, 14" or 15"(or spill hole in the 16"). I didn't take the camera to the launch today, but I'll be sure to take it tomorrow(3 day Red Glare event :)) and try to get some flight pics.

If I were you, I would consider a 12" chute, even one with a 1 or 2 inch spill hole. The Kracken's scoot because they're so light and they like being way up high. :D Sometimes they don't want to come back down.:(

BTW, One of mine popped the nose cone but the chute hung up and it fell from about 800 ft. All it did was scratch the paint. Kracken's are tuff! They can handle a 12" chute or a 3" by 30" streamer just fine.

For Saturday's launch I used a C11-3. I like the C11 motor for this but the 3 second delay is much too short. I was still coasting a bit when the charge fired. Wish they never did away with the C11-5, that would have been perfect. I used a homemade 12" hemi chute for this flight(same wind cond. as Friday), and that was just right.

A clustered 2 or 3 X 18mm Kraken would be pretty neat. Didn't someone put a Deuce mount in one of these?

Sorry, pic is a little blurry. The Kraken didn't know it was being photographed. Ultra low drag makes this a tough one to capture. I got some great pics of the smoke trails though. Anyone want to see those? :rolleyes: I'll keep trying.;)

Kraken.jpg

Last edited:
And I am using that picture as my desktop(the one on the cup!)! Inspiration for me for when I breakdown to try clustering AP motors!

WOW - a Deuce Kraken looks awesum! Would two C6-5's work?

Need to put another order in...

Hmmmmmm..
A cluster of two C6-5's would boost a Kraken to a simulated altitude of 700 feet. Two B6's would just barely be stable and boost to 300 feet.
(All numbers and predictions are the product of Rocksim)

Jimmyk and Foose may be onto something there.
:cool:

Back