Peeling layers of tubing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketTree

Reaction score
Building a 2.6" Bomarc replica, and have a couple ramjet pods to build. Each tube is 60g stiff thick-wall 54mm (looks like LOC tubing).

Far too heavy for decorative (non-functional) component - to be plugged by balsa nose cones.

I have not peeled rocket tubing before, but is it possible to peel away half the layers, to get each ramjet pod down to 30g?

Or are they like aluminum foil rolls, where they dont peel? Don't want to ruin the tubes by experimenting....

Thanks

t1.jpg t2.jpg

I can't speak specifically for LOC tubing, but...

In general, layers can be peeled, but not cleanly, and I very much doubt that you'll be left with something that you want to use.

If you want something lighter, standard BT70 is very close to the same size, maybe could work in a pinch.

I suppose if you just had to use those tubes, you could peel them down, then CA and sand smooth......but that's a lot of squeeze for the juice. I like Neil's suggestion better, if it were me.

Unfortunately there is no stock of BT-70 available in Canada. That would have been the perfect tube size!

If all else fails, since these ramjets are decorative pieces, I might have to cut a BT80 lengthwise and resize the tube. Using the heavy 54mm tube inside diameter as a template.

Maybe there is a low-cost rocket kit that uses BT-70, I could steal the tubing from it?

Why not try peeling the layers from the inside? What's to loose? I wonder if you used a spray bottle to shoot some water inside the tube... let it sit for a bit, then start peeling.

Why not try peeling the layers from the inside? What's to loose? I wonder if you used a spray bottle to shoot some water inside the tube... let it sit for a bit, then start peeling.

That has potential, although he'd have to build up the intake cones' shoulder with tape or something.

That being said.....the sturdy tubes may be handy for when the rocket lands and flops over onto them.

Alright, I went ahead and tried peeling. Taking an entire ply at a time worked well.

They are now 45g instead of 120g combined.

Some sanding,primer and repeat should get them smooth.

1611102485933.png 1611102501069.png 1611102525167.png

Well, there you go. I guess when the tubing is stout enough to begin with then it can withstand the peeling process. That looks cleaner than I would have expected.

Back