pdf problem, can anyone help?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
When I click on a pdf document on the net, instead of opening it like it use to, it wants to download it and asks for a destination.
I don't think I did anything to change this. It's becoming a real PINA.
Does any one know how to fix this?
Win10/Firefox.

Windows 10 by default wants to open PDF files in Edge- I would not use Edge for this, or any other browser.

Download Adobe Reader, and make it your default program for PDF files.

As to the having to download it first, I am not sure if there is a way around it. In reality, that always has had to have happened, but they for some stupid reason now make you have to do the additional step.

OK Woody, do this:

In Firefox, go to Options (usually via the three line menu control in the upper right, select Options)

In Options select Applications

In the Applications window, go to the Search box that should be at the top and type PDF

It should show Portable Document Format on the left, and on the right it should have an Action. Be sure it is set to Preview in Firefox.

Probably right now it is set to Save File.

That was easy, but save file is the only option.
What I think I'm dealing with here is when I tried to install Open Rocket, I changed something.
I'm guessing from what I've found out, I have to remove Acrobat Reader as my default program from pdf's.
Since you can't use Acrobat Reader directly from Fire Fox, it want's to save it. Need to change default program for pdf's.
Just have to figure that out, then should be set.

Firefox has its own built in reader, which should show as an action, so something is squirrely here. Installing Adobe DC shouldn't change that. I'll install FireFox on this computer and see what I find.

OK, this is what I see using Firefox 64 bit:

Firefox PDF actions.jpg

Make sure to click where it says Action to bring up the triangle for the drop down selector. So, for example on mine it says Preview in Firefox as the only "option" until I click where it says Action. Then, I can see all the options.

You definitely DON'T have to remove the windows default action for Adobe linked to PDFs.

The drop down list for me has on save as.
I have to find out where Acrobat Reader is set to default, and change that to Fire Fox pdf viewer.

OK, this is what I see using Firefox 64 bit:

View attachment 310507

Make sure to click where it says Action to bring up the triangle for the drop down selector. So, for example on mine it says Preview in Firefox as the only "option" until I click where it says Action. Then, I can see all the options.

You definitely DON'T have to remove the windows default action for Adobe linked to PDFs.

You mean the Windows default actions for PDFs? No, you definitely don't want to set that to Fire Fox PDF viewer. I don't even think it is possible to do it, unless it happens to be a stand alone program.

I recommend backing up your bookmarks, uninstall firefox completely, then do a fresh install of it. Then restore your bookmarks.

Marc

I couldn't find anywhere to change the default to firefox reader.
After numerous searches, I did come across a FireFox Refresh.
So I did that. All I had to do is go back in and turn on all my add on's.
Everything is still here.
Just checked, and it's working fine again.
Thanks for everyone's help!

Back