.pdf of Skylab shroud for Estes needed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToneDeafJunior

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all. I darted my Saturn V yesterday and would like to make it in to a nonflying rocket with a Skylab top. The main tube and upper stages just have too much structural damage to try to make it flyable. I've searched the innerweb and can find an bunch of posts, some all the way back to 2004 talking about people turning them for folks, and Sandman's .pdf (thank you) of the dimensions of the finished product. I'm really looking for a compass like drawing in .pdf so I can print on cardstock, cut out and glue together. I have done some due diligence, but am turning up with nothing. Can/will anyone help? Yes, I can order one online for 25 bucks + shipping, but this rocket is never going to fly and don't want the additonal expense.
Saturn V and Gemini Capsule.jpg 20200524_111601.jpg skylab 1 100th scale.JPG

Since you have the dimensions, you could can use the payloadbay.com transition tool to generate the templates you need. To close the top transition just roll up a ball of paper saturated with glue and plug it. Mold it to shape, and after it dries, sand to final shape. Smooth with wood filler and paint.

Since you have the dimensions, you could can use the payloadbay.com transition tool to generate the templates you need. To close the top transition just roll up a ball of paper saturated with glue and plug it. Mold it to shape, and after it dries, sand to final shape. Smooth with wood filler and paint.
Thanks Linville86. What a great idea. Attached to download for someone else.

Attachments

• SkyLab 1 transition.pdf
    2.9 KB · Views: 19
  • SkyLab 2 transition.pdf
    2.9 KB · Views: 8
Your welcome. Post pictures of the progress. The glue ball idea works well, I used it on my paper nose cone.
30FFC83D-93E4-4D39-B642-D75DA7BF2D4F.jpeg

Cut down a coupler to give the paper cone something to adhere to. The SV will not fly again, but at least all that work is not down the drain. And, I’ll have something cool to look at.
20200525_163109.jpg

I've got quite a bit of cleaning up to do on the cone and on the paint job. When I masked, even with 2 different kinds of tape, it just ripped the good paint off. Had to drop back and punt with the free hand. Evidently, my free hand is pretty shaky. And, I wasn't about to go in the corrugation with the black paint, so it is what it is. From a busted-up Saturn V to a non-flying SkyLab. Getting there.
20200527_170609.jpg

Back