PayPal

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weekends

Reaction score
There are numerous companies and individuals who accept PayPal. I am not a big fan of giving my credit card number over the internet. When at all possible, I always call in an order.

Anyhoo, for those who use PayPal, any probelms?

Thanks,
Weekends

I've been using it for a few years now.

Very reputable and very secure too!

I believe they are part of the Ebay Corp. but I'm not sure and as such have a very good reputation to uphold,

It also allows people to pay YOU as well!

That's a really neat feature.

sandman

Nothing but good with Paypal here. I've used it for a few years now also. Two credit cards, and my checking account. The only thing to watch for, are emails that appear to be from Paypal, asking you for information. If you get one, forward it to Paypal's fraud department. Same with Ebay.

They 'lost' a pretty good chunk of my money, and would not make good on the funds, even though the other guy had a record of his payment. Run, do not walk, away from PayPal.

I've done alot of business through PayPal. It is my preferred payment method in everything. I think money loss is in the very very small minority.

I too have had good experiences with PayPal for quite a few years. It is also my preferred method of payment.

One thing to like about PayPal: they are the only ones who see your Credit Card number. The vendor doesn't have it.

You can't do much better for security than PayPal.

-- Jim (who is now knocking on wood...)

I've not had any bad experiences with Paypal and I've been using it since nearly their inception.

You will find many small companies use it to accept payment for many reasons.

1) You can accept virtually any credit card without having to deal with any credit card company

2) Setup is easy and creating a shopping cart can be done by anybody with very limited experience in web site design.

That is why FlisKits went that method. We've been so busy with so many things that we didn't have the time nor the money to implement any other method.

I will admit that we will be switching over to our own shopping cart at some point and taking credit cards directly, but not because we've had any problems with PayPal. Rather because we've encountered many customers who won't deal with us through paypal, for whatever reason.

Also, one major drawback with PayPal is that it doesn't allow us to take credit cards over the phone or on the field. By setting up our own contracts with the credit companies we will be able to do this.

However, it will also mean that we will be limited to those credit cards with which we deal with and that will *not* be all of them (just too much administration)

Point of Note: When you are purchasing via the web (or, for that matter, logging into an account you have with someone), make sure you are using a SECURE server!

**ALL** secure servers have the prefix "https://" If you see "https://" in the location bar it is NOT a secure server.

If you log into your account (say at eBay, PayPal or your bank), or if you make a purchase and insert your creditcard information and it is NOT a secure server, then *any*one can read your information as it is sent plain-text. A secure server encrypts the information and it is a *good* encryptor. I doubt there is any worry in fact I can *assure* you that giving out such information from a secure server is far safer than reciting it over a phone line.

For example, if you go to https://www.paypal.com/ , you are automatically redirected to https://www.paypal.com/ for this very reason.

Shop smart, shop safe. When you check out with the FlisKits shopping cart you are on a *secure* server.

hope this helps,
jim

:D Well might as well add my 2 cents worth. I have also had nothing but good luck with Paypal. I've been using it I guess about 2 years now with no problems. :D

CrashinJ

I have had good experiences with PayPal and know of several persons who got money back after attempted rip offs due to PayPal policies. For one almost unfortunate person it was $1200.00.
:eek: :eek: :eek:
That being said, you must be careful. Recently people have been getting emails that appear to be from PayPal but actually direct them to private sites. The site looks EXACTLY like a PayPal site, and links on that site actually take you to real PayPal pages to read security policies, etc. You will be asked to reenter all your profile data, passwords and bank numbers due to database updates or some such. Some poor suckers are even giving away driver's license numbers, social security numbers, employer info, etc. God Bless anyone who fell for this.
(Above appplies to Ebay also.)

I got one of those "bogus" emails.

Man, I would love to have seen the look on the persons face that read what I entered! LOL:D

Yeah! and my social Security Number is...4

sandman

Point of note:

Paypal, Ebay, Amazon, etc, etc (pick a legitamate web business), will not, ever, ever, EVER send you an email asking for any such information. If, at *any* time they *do* have a problem, they will *always* direct you to their *main* page (eg: https://www.paypal.com/ ) and direct you as to where you should go to correct the problem/issue (so that you *know* you are always starting from the *real* site).

Also, though not directly related, it is critical information for those of us who deal with the web. The above sites and others sites such as your ISP, software companies (say you have purchased and installed a virus protection program, etc) will NEVER, not EVER send you an upgrade. never, never, never, ever.

If you EVER get a software upgrade from ANY company EVER, it is not an upgrade, it is a virus.

If there is a *real* upgrade to your licensed software, you may receive a note directing you to go to their *main* page (www.microsoft.com) and direct you as to where to get the upgrade, but they will NEVER send it to you in email.

Now, that being said, in all cases there are exceptions. Doesn't matter. If you encounter a *real* exception to the above, delete the mail, cancel your account and do business with someone else because they don't know what they are doing and shouldn't be doing *any* business, let alone web-based business.

just my nickle (looked like a bit more than 2 cents... :p )

Regarding what Sandman said:

I always play runescape. One of my favorite activities when I'm not playing (other than TRF) is searching out scam sites that ask for username and password, and here is what I put in:

username: notfallin4it

pass: scammer.

Blue_Ninja_150

ahhh you answers are...cleaner than mine!

sandman

sandman... :D We're gonna have to get together at some meet for a strong cup of coffee and trade what inputs we provide to these scam sites... i suspect yours are rather similar to mine... :D:D

Jim,

I can get pretty rank when someone threatens my pocketbook!

LOL!:D

sandman

As far as PayPal is concerned, I have never had a problem with it as a buyer or seller. I always prefer cert checks, but PayPal is easier for the customer. They are part of Ebay.
I don't always like the way they stash the history of my customers transactions. Also, it's probably one of the slowest loading sites that I have on my favorites list. I suppose due to the security.

You can also transfer money from your bank and back in a snap.

As far as them asking you for your credit card, password etc. Just go to thier websit and use THIER email any time it sdoesn't sound right.

you guys that have never had a problem with pay pal are living on borrowed time. check out paypalsucks.com for starters.

you should never have any hesitation about giving out your credit card on the internet. you and I and the vendors are paying a huge sum to the credit card companies (4% of all transactions plus fees), partly to cover for exactly these sort of frauds and other losses. you are protected by federal law to a maximum out of pocket of $50. paypal can not and will not make any such guarantee.

beware of identity theft, it's the largest and fastest growing crime in the US. practically, you are not going to have your credit card number stolen anywhere on the internet. you are going to get "social engineered" in one of a few dozen other ways.

oh yeah, back to rockets: that said, I got a paypal account just to order from fliskits!! so there!

I've been using PayPal for a couple years now. Never had a problem. Easy to use and very secure. I sold stuff on ebay and had payments made to me through PayPal - got the money right away, no problem!
When I am shopping online I always look for merchants who accept PayPal. If they don't , I move on.

Jim - please don't stop accepting PayPal when you get your own online ordering service!

My 2 cents.
Steve

you guys that have never had a problem with pay pal are living on borrowed time. check out paypalsucks.com for starters.

yiles! now that IS scary.

not sure what to think now - part of me says not to get all worked up about this but the paranoid me says to get the heck out of PayPal ASAP!

what a crazy cyber world we live in!

anybody else seen paypalsucks.com and are having second thoughts??

From reading the stories at paypalsucks.com it appears that if you transfer money into your regular bank account immediately you are less at risk when your account is frozen. I only buy through mine, so the most I could loose is the pending transaction. Usually this would be less than thirty dollars. If I were a vendor, I certainly would not be leaving any money in my PayPal account.

I have used paypal for years now, and have never had any problems at all. I have sold some stuff, but I mostly buy. I do empty my account ASAP though...

Originally posted by sandman
I've been using it for a few years now.

Very reputable and very secure too!

I believe they are part of the Ebay Corp. but I'm not sure and as such have a very good reputation to uphold,

It also allows people to pay YOU as well!

That's a really neat feature.

sandman

Actually eBay bought Pay-Pal about 2 years ago. I've used it for about 4 years now with no problems.

Al

Back