PayPal Vendors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure on the exact number, but I know rocketheadrockets.com and balsamachining.com take PayPal. I also know as a 15 year old that is a lot easier to pay via PayPal than with my parents' credit cards. Not because they don't won't me buying things online, but rather because they don't feel safe puting their credit cards on the internet. So pretty much I can only buy products from sites that take PayPal.

Are you asking this question because you are thinking of having a PayPal account, or because you are opening a store?

Roachwerks does...I mean I do!

For kits...if I had any left:D or custom nose cones.

sandman

I do. That doesn't mean I like it though.:D
ThrustlineAerospace.jpg

Vincent Hobbies takes PAYPAL.
Well, actually I do.
Seems a waste to get a merchant account for selling an accurate scale kit that nobody is interested in.

Chris Timm

Seems a waste to get a merchant account for selling an accurate scale kit that nobody is interested in.

I got one...I just need the time to build it.

sandman

Bowhunter,

Some thoughts on PayPal. As a buyer, I've stopped using it, although I wish there was a similar alternative. My wife and I opened an account, and attached it to an old bank account we generally keep almost no money in. Our thought was that if there were any problems, at least there would only be a few dollars in the account. Our intention was to pay for everything with a credit card anyway. Well, no matter what we did, we couldn't get PayPal to stop treating every transaction as a debit card sale. Kept overdrawing the account, and having to pay "bad check" fees. Almost impossible to explain to the bank why it kept happening, and impossible to get any feedback from PayPal.

As I went online searching for help, I discovered a number of problems with PayPal from the seller's end as well. PayPal opperates essentially as an unregulated bank. There just aren't any rules yet dealing with what they do. I read a number of reports of vendors who were notified that their accounts were "frozen" because of a customer complaint. They were then unable to access what, in some cases, was a sizeable amount of their cash in those accounts. Some reported months of effort trying to free up their funds. So if you're planning to be a vendor who uses PayPal, I'd make sure you sweep the account into a non PayPal account often to avoid this problem.

Goodness knows I hate going down to the post office to buy postal money orders. I wish there was some better alternative to PayPal. Unfortunately, they're just about the only game in town. Hardly anybody accepts any of the other services.

Gus, yours is one of many stories I've heard about paypal. I got a paypal account to buy stuff from Fliskits. Fliskits had "free shipping" sale some time ago.

I sent in my order a few hours before midnight CA time but after midnight Flis-time. Jim refunded the shipping charge via paypal, but paypal "lost" the credit and will not make good. It's only $7 but for a small vendor it's maybe a large part of the margin, and for the customer $7 will buy some motors.

Score: Flis: +7000000000 customer satisfaction points and -$7. Cliff: -$7. Paypal: -$14,000,000,000.00 customer satisfaction points.

conversely, I have no qualms about sending out my credit card number. this is why: last week I got a phone call at 06:00 - it was the CC bank calling to ask about some transactions they thought were fraudulent - $1 on E-Bay a few times, $5 to some place in Russia, $25 twice somewhere in Germany, $40 somewhere else ... I called bullshit on all those. because of my type of card, I have NO fraud liability, not even the usual consumer protection act $50.

Score: Cliff: -$0. MBNA customer satisfaction: +$97.

so, sorry all you paypal vendors - I will have to mail you a check!

Originally posted by Gus
Well, no matter what we did, we couldn't get PayPal to stop treating every transaction as a debit card sale. Kept overdrawing the account, and having to pay "bad check" fees.

You have to keep a keen eye on your paypal balance when buying stuff.
PAYPAL will by default use your $$$ balance first, then go to your back up funding source which is usually a savings account.
When I run close to empty, I use the "alternate funding" option and use the CC as a back-up funding source.

PAYPAL whines and cries with a few "are you sure" prompts, but its better than the bouncing overdraft fees your local bank hits you with.

CTimm

Originally posted by sandman
I got one...sandman

You saw my hastily finished one.
It came in 2nd at the Michigan Spacemodeling Championships a few weeks back. It rips on a D12---even with a stiff breeze!!
First place was Mark Chrumka (veteran NARAM scale winner) and his tiny Rohini model.
I was surprised as I really didn't finish it that well or even put on all the markings.
I'll be sure to do better on the next one.
If I have any left. LOL!

CTimm

XAVIEN takes PayPal, so does many other vendors I have dealt with. Seems pretty standard for "us smaller" shops.

Steve

Originally posted by Gus

I discovered a number of problems with PayPal from the seller's end as well. PayPal opperates essentially as an unregulated bank. There just aren't any rules yet dealing with what they do. I read a number of reports of vendors who were notified that their accounts were "frozen" because of a customer complaint. They were then unable to access what, in some cases, was a sizeable amount of their cash in those accounts. Some reported months of effort trying to free up their funds. So if you're planning to be a vendor who uses PayPal, I'd make sure you sweep the account into a non PayPal account often to avoid this problem. [/B]

As a seller, I've stopped using them after less than 2 months.

They have a $500 monthly limit that a person can withdraw from their account (due to money laundering concerns). You have to jump through a million hoops to get that limit restricted, including giving them your credit card number.

After doing all their paperwork, the limit wasn't lifted from my account. I called and pleaded to get my money out. But they wanted me to resend all the information again -- which means they probably lost the original info.

I begged and begged to talk to a manager, but they refuse to call me. Their customer service is terrible. My guess is that it will be outsourced to India soon if they can't clean up their system of making customers jump through hoops.

As of today, I have over $650 frozen in paypal somewhere. I'm not making any interest on it, and I can't get at it. And I can't get a manager from Paypal to call me and explain where my sensitive financial documents went.

I suspect some other service will do essentially what Paypal does. On paper, paypal looks to have advantages for some customers. So I hope some legitimate company offers a similar product.

Believe me, I understand Gus' and Tim's problems with Paypal. I had one customer file with them saying they never got an item after they had already emailed me telling me they had received it! Paypal, of course, was on their side. I ship every package with confirmation so I had proof they got it, but if I hadn't, Paypal would have taken their word for it and taken the money from me. In general, they don't give a cr*p about sellers, period.

Sirius Rocketry takes plastic securely online, but we can also take pay pal via an email. If you really need to do it that way then we can acommodate that as well!

Dave

As an Ebay Power Seller, it is basically impossible for me to NOT take paypal. I wish there was another competitive system. There are a couple that are comparable, yahoo's version is pretty good, but Paypal is now completley integrated with Ebay and you have to accept paypal or you can't sell - and expect to get paid - unless you accept paypal.

Paypal customer service used to be GREAT! Then Ebay bought them and now it is horrible. Last time I talked to them I ended up slamming the phone down and screaming as loud as I could at.... nobody - and I'm easy to get along with! ;)

Tim, if you get the business version of paypal, you can withdraw as much money as you like. They give you a little debit card to and give you cash back when you make purchases with it. I saved about 450.00 using it at the post office, office depot, vendors etc..... You also earn a nominal interest rate on your balance.

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.JonRocket.com

Originally posted by Juaru
As an Ebay Power Seller, it is basically impossible for me to NOT take paypal.

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.JonRocket.com

Powerseller? Are ya sure? powersllers usually have a powerseller logo out by their name. Just wondering...

Originally posted by Mack
Powerseller? Are ya sure? powersllers usually have a powerseller logo out by their name. Just wondering...

My Ebay user name is Thecorsetqueen. I am a power seller.

If anyone wants to see what I sell "at night" do an ebay seller search on Thecorsetqueen. Maybe Mr. Bowhunter can find something nice for Mrs. Bowhunter.

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.JonRocket.com

BoosterWorks.com takes Visa and Master Card directly via secured SSL as well as takes Paypal for those that like to spend their paypal balances on rocket stuff.

Sell the junk in the crawl space on Ebay, spend the paypal loot on Rockets. What an Idea !

boosterworksmasthead.gif

Back