Quantcast

xx Paypal Friends and Family Warning.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

gdjsky01

Whoosh, pop: life is good
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well thats the point Roger. Unless people turn in people who break the rules, nothing changes. All these shitesters charging extra break rules. Thing is they are small fry. So who knows what PP might do? Probably nothing. Whereas businesses which depend on PP as a common payment method play by the rules and build in the 3% that credit cards and PP charge.

I would turn in every listing I found that says add 3% for paypal if I thought it would make a difference.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Paypal has to make a living. I personally am glad they are around.

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline, Potent
Reaction score
You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions. {/quote]

When someone asks for extra for non-friends & family, they're not charging a surcharge *for accepting PayPal*. They're taking PayPal either way, it's just that if you don't send it via one PayPal payment method, they are charging a surcharge. It's a nit, but it's a relevant nit.

That said, when I sell stuff, I *don't* insist on F&F. I accept that PayPal is going to take a fee, and that's okay.

jadebox

Roger Smith
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
If a non-PayPal order is free of the surcharge, then requiring a surcharge for any PayPal orders would be in violation of the rule inquired. And, imposing a fee on non-F&F payments is a way of asking customers to use F&F which is not allowed.

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
Reaction score
Sellers are not allowed to do that.
These were not by established merchants, but by folks selling stuff here in the yard sale or on similar forums. I wouldn’t expect a real garage sale to take a credit card, so I think that same attitude prevails even in online 'for sale' forums. You're a vendor, I expect you to take merchant payment. But if I sell my Interceptor-G kit for $100 and ask for FnF payment to avoid the extra fee, is PayPal coming after me for that? Are you going to report me? What would PayPal do if you did?

If someone has a long posting history here and is selling in the yard sale and I feel like I 'know' them, I'm happy to do FnF for a purchase. But in other instances the protection that comes from PayPal is worth me paying the 3% as a form of insurance and keeping things on a friendly basis for the future.

I've owned a small business for over 25 years and have paid my share of merchant fees, you'd think I would avoid them at all costs. But buying from a fellow TRF member isn't the same as buying from a vendor, at least in my mind. To misquote a phrase: we all 'pays our money and takes our chances',

Tony